PDA

View Full Version : Seeking: Soft, responsive, spin, price?

WW Volley
02-18-2004, 09:08 PM
I'm seeking a string I can go back to time and time again. I'd love to be able to test more, but I just don't have the time/money to go on a string testing spree. Thus, I hope some of you can narrow it down for me...

I love the Technifibre NRG strings. Especially the 17g. Thin, soft, lively, and provides plenty of spin. Not harsh or super powerful. Very touch oriented. However, these strings quickly lose their qualities, are expensive to keep replacing, and don't last very long either due to breakage or they go completely dead.

I'm not a tournament player, just a weekend hacker who might hit a couple times a week with friends. But I'd like to get a steady string I can keep up with that isn't going to break the bank and still provide value.

I've had wrist surgery, thus why I prefer the soft strings as they feel so much more comfortable. Any ideas? If you need anymore information I excluded, let me know. Many thanks in advance!

topspin
02-18-2004, 10:09 PM
A natural gut hybrid is hard to beat. It's easy on the arm, very durable and does not lose playability, holds tension and does not move around. Try BDE Performance in the mains with Gosen JC in the crosses (16 or 17 gauge depending on your preference).

In synthetics, Gosen Tec Bio 16 is very soft and playable and is not expensive at all.

kmadonna
02-19-2004, 03:29 AM
Babolat X-Cel. Similar feel to NRG but doesn't lose it's tension after one set. Cost is similar. I like it better than the cheap guts.

David Valencia
02-19-2004, 05:39 AM
Hard to beat a nice gut/sythetic combo, as topsin mentions. If you want to stay with a mulit, you may want to try Laserfibre Supreme. It holds tension better than NRG. It has a nice crispy feeling.

David

@wright
02-19-2004, 06:44 AM
WWVolley, you should try Gosen synthetic gut 17, it feels great. I like a nice soft elastic string too, and this feels much better than Prince synthetic gut and it's cheap!

Rabbit
02-19-2004, 08:44 AM
If you want to try a good, cheap multi, I recommend Alpha Gut 2000. It comes in 16, 17, and 18 and while it isn't the most durable, for $6 it ain't bad.

Gaines Hillix
02-19-2004, 09:21 AM
IMO, the multifiber string that holds its playing characteristics the best and is most reasonably priced is Laserfibre Laser Supreme. The Phenom XRC is even better, but is pricey.

tennisbody
02-19-2004, 10:54 AM
Wilson Sensation 17 , multi below $ 10.00. Try it...thin , good pop, good grip ( spin friendly) and soft on elbow. Nothing beats Sensation 17 in this price range.

Loud
02-19-2004, 11:04 AM
Sometimes you can get NXT on the cheap. Especially in the old packaging or in the generic packaging. Just my $0.02.

Craig Sheppard
02-19-2004, 12:50 PM
I second the Alpha Gut 2000 suggestion. I played with a job of Alpha Gut 2000 17ga on my Pro Staff Classic and it was money. For $5.90 a set from TW, you can't beat it...

I actually liked it better than some other multis, I think it's softer than Gamma Live Wire XP personally, and the price of Babolat XCel just can't be justified at over double the price. AG 2000 is not real crisp I guess, but it certainly doesn't have that spongy feeling of a poly. I actually liked it better as it got worn, lost some of it's softness and really played well.

I used to use Prince Synthetic Gut 17 as my default string, but I've pretty muched changed that to Alpha Gut 2000 17. The fact it comes in 16, 17, and 18 is a bonus too.

-Craig.

Match-Point
02-19-2004, 01:42 PM
I would also add Dunlop Max Comfort ($7) and newly reduced Live Wire ($8).

bcaz
02-19-2004, 06:28 PM
TW now sells Live Wire (basic version) for about $9 a set. This is a very good all-around multi at an excellent price. Gut hybrids can provide very good value and comfort. One of my sticks currently has Bow 16L in the mains and Gosen OG Sheep Micro super 17 in the crosses. Cost: about $11.50.

I like the LaserFibre high-end multi strings -- Pro Stock and XRC Phenom. They are relatively expensive.

BC

WW Volley
02-20-2004, 05:59 AM
Thanks a ton for all the suggestions...

This gives me a definite focus!