PDA

View Full Version : How fast do you guys serve??

bc-05
02-23-2004, 06:56 AM
Hi.. I was just wondering one thing... how fast do you guys normally serve?? Because last week.. My coach did a speed check on a serve at memorial drive in adelaide... they used the laser gun as the one they used it at pro tournament... and my friend hit a 201km/h serve and hit that one in??? IS THIS NORMAL OR NOT??? BECAUSE I THOUGHT ONLY PRO PLAYERS HITS SERVES AT THIS PACE??? ALL I WANT TO KNO IS Y ISNT HE A PRO TENNIS PLAYER IF HE COULD SERVE THIS FAST???? DO ANY OF U GUYS EVER HIT A SERVE THIS FAST??? well he plays drive tennis in high school tennis and he also plays in division 1 senior tennis... he's a 17 years old..... thx for ur help

@wright
02-23-2004, 07:17 AM
I'm not sure what 201 km/h equates to in mph, which is what I'm familiar with. If that serve is up around the pace of a good pro server, then the reason he is not pro is because the rest of his game isn't up to par with the pros. BTW, just because he can hit a serve as fast as a pro or two doesn't mean he can serve as effectively as the pros, I'm sure he can't mix it up as well as them, or place it like they do. If he served to any pro his serve would undoubtedly be bludgeoned back for an easy winner.

Verbal_Kint
02-23-2004, 07:34 AM
124.8956 mph.. :P

Marnix

Bungalo Bill
02-23-2004, 09:50 AM
@wright hit that nail on the head. My serve on average is about 120. Depending on what I did the night before! But the reason I stopped my qwest to become pro was that when you get in the pro game.

It is not just about unforced errors in the pro game opr strokes. It is about a committment to strategy, conditioning, tactics, and mental focus for the entire match. The pros have such strong mental focus (mainly because they have to) that this alone tires you just to stay focused on every single point.

You see what happens to Safin when he loses focus. He starts to play like us! Well not quite, but you got the picture. That is what made Sampras so great. His serve was tops no doubt, but his mental focus, his ability to block things out was outstanding. This takes a extraordinary amount of discipline. Which seperates us from them!

borisboris
02-23-2004, 03:05 PM
:lol: My serve was clocked @ 126 with old balls a womens racquet and 3 practice serves. My 2nd serve = well that's why I'm a 4.5 USTA :wink:

Printer099
02-23-2004, 03:39 PM
I generally like closed to square stance on my forehand. I only seem to use open stance if the ball is hit out wide and I am on the run or th eball is hit right at me and I don't have time to get out of the way. Should I be trying to use open stance for more of my shots? Can I still become a good player with a stance where I step into the ball instead of hitting of my hip (open)?

Also it seems like closed stance especially is effective on approach shots because it is easier to guide the ball and because I am stepping into the all it is making it easier for me to follow into the net whereas a open stance is harder to go forward on approach shots. Does anyone have any opinions?

Thanks

ucd_ace
02-23-2004, 04:51 PM
I've been only been playing for two years, from being ages 16 to 18; the pro at the racquet club told me that I average about 105-107 mph. It's kind of strange because I'm only 5'8" and 150 lbs, so I don't have much to get behind it. I asked him and he said that I just have natural timing... whatever that means. Natural timing... HORRIBLE extension... power means nothing (well, at least here 105 mph is fast) when I can't get the ball in!!! I take whatever I can get on a kick serve so I can at least get it in.

!<-_->!
02-23-2004, 05:16 PM
Wow, you all serve so fast. I can't even get half of what you guys said. Of course it would help if I could serve on a consistent basis. Not to mention not double fault like half the games I play. Oh well...

Phil
02-23-2004, 05:48 PM
Don't worry, &lt;>, your serve is probably okay for your age and playing level. This question is occasionally asked here, and EVERYONE who answers serves in the 120's-whether they do or not.

mattlikovich
02-23-2004, 06:52 PM
I can get in the 105-110, but power doesnt matter. You just need a little pace, and well placed and mixing it up. Ive hid down the t, right on it at 90 or so and the player doesn't go for it, they don't expect it and dont think its in, but it is. Then next time i'll go out wide with a slice thats slow and ace, or get him wide and volley w/ backhand to wide open court.

Matt

@wright
02-23-2004, 08:22 PM
To tell you the truth, I have no idea what I top out at. What I do know is that I get free points off my serve, and a handful of aces a set. I've been working on hitting outwide serves, which I never used to do, and it helps alot. Speed is good, but inherently it earns no points by itself.

nyu
02-23-2004, 08:39 PM
Tops was 105(I'm 5'6, 145 pounds or so), but I basically win points by placing the ball into the corners of the box with heavy slice on first serves and by hitting my 2nd as hard as my first(with a bit more topspin). Also, because of my height, the trajectory of my serves are tough to read because I can either keep the ball knee level or kick it up to their head, and they all land deep in the box. Like everyone here has said, It's not the speed that counts

That said, I played a guy who was cranking 115+ first serves which were fairly easy to return because all you had to do was block them back or take a few steps back and use his pace to crank it back. I had a much harder time returning his heavy kickers.

jayserinos99
02-23-2004, 10:12 PM
I've topped out at 105 mph on my flat serves. But since I don't serve flat very much, my regular serves (which are kick), go around 70-80 mph. I know I can't bring the heat, so I just aim for the corners. What helps a lot is the fact that I'm left handed and no one likes my funky spins. That gets me a lot of free points off of service winners.

bc-05
02-23-2004, 11:51 PM
well @wright,
He obviously doesnt play as well as world pro player does... but u should see how he dominates his opponent in division 1 tennis.. at the end of this year, I heard he's going to represent South Australia in the state competition.. His game is similar to joachim johansson... When he serves not many ppl could return it... and his forehand is the biggest forehands i've ever seen in real life... he also have a huge one-handed backhands... For tha being sed he's not a pro playrer yet... but i reckon he will be up there in the next 3-4 yrs... Its good to see another world no 1 from adelaide... :P.... 1 more question.. Not that I need it.. but how can i generate that much power like him? serving at 125-130mph getting them in and a hugeass forehand like a bomb... i mean come on! i'm taller than him.. i'm 6'2 and he's 5'10 and plus my coach told me that i have a much better technique!!... but ur right @wright.... power doesnt really matter.. I bet him a couple of time in training... but i just wanted to kno how the hell can you get that much power!!!

andreh
02-24-2004, 02:12 AM
I don't know what I top out at, never checked, but I can tell you this. I can hit serves a lot harder than what I usually do. I always kick my serve which slows it down. If I flatten it out a bit (which I do on occasion) it's a lot harder, but I still never go all out. I'm guessing I average about 80-90 mph on the kick and my *flat* is around 100 mph.

I have a friend who can serve real bombs consistantly, though. Man, he's tough to beat when his serve is on, even though we're pretty equal in the rest of our games.

/A

Kobble
02-24-2004, 07:54 AM
For me it really depends what side of the bed I wake up on. I can serve great or completely like crap recently. On my good days I can hit between the 110-120 mph range, but on my bad days you would roll your eyes if I told you what I typed above. I used to put alot of stock in pace, but I have since realized that placement and spin are just as effective. I would rather hit my best 105-110 mph spinner than my biggest serve ever any day. It has a nasty kick to the left that when hit up the T it winds up chest height into the body. As the player takes a step toward the middle for the return, the ball makes its move left, and they get jammed severely. I have had many of my 110+ flat balls come back, but even the best players get fooled by that spinner.If I only had a good second serve to back it up.

vin
02-24-2004, 09:21 AM
If I only had a good second serve to back it up.

Dude, if you can hit a kick serve that well, it IS a good second serve. Why don't you use it as such?

Are you a ski racer? (Asking because of your sig). I read in last month's tennis magazine that Bode is an avid tennis player and had a lot of potential in high school before he devoted himself to racing. Man, it seems like some people get all the talent and can be good at whatever it is they feel like. I used to be a big ski racer but quit because of the injury potential.

Vin

James Brown
02-24-2004, 10:24 AM
i cant kick serve.. hehe, it always turns into a slice...im working on it though :>, my first serve isnt near as fast as these guys. i hit it kinda short, down the T, and low. some People find it harder to handle than some other guys at my club who serve real hard. I play twice a week for an hour and a half each, so it doesnt surprise me i dont serve as hard as you guys. I definetly have some issues with my motion, so im gonna get a video up and get some advice. :>

Kobble
02-25-2004, 07:49 AM
Vin, unforuntaley I am not a ski racer, but I can't wait to get the money to finally take a trip out to Colorado in the winter and give skiing a go. I am just itching to try it! I have been a big fan of skiing for years, but unfortunately all I have ever tried was some limited snow boarding when I spent some time up north. I live in the south, so no snow down here. I don't know if you have noticed, but I consistantly change the bottom qoute approximately twice a week, and the Bode Miller qoute was inspired by the recent article in Tennis Magazine. As for my serve, I have the ability to hit a very good spin serve(bender), but when it comes to the kick serve my success is not nearly as good. It has boggled me at many times why I can't seem to translate that same spin side spin into the more end over end spin required for the kick serve consistently. I forgot to include that I am a right hander, so when I say that my spin serve kicks to the left it is due to the fact the the ball curves from right to left in flight and it translates into the direction of the rebound of the ball. I do occasionaly use it as a second serve when I am up 40-15 to close it out, but when it gets close I just try to avoid any costly double faults. I hope that clears up what my first post left out.

I never knew that any ski racers existed on this board. Did you suffer any serious injuries during your time, or did the risky track record of skiing finally make you think twice? I remember Bill Johnson crashing into the fence, and anyone who tries to push the limits has to think that it could be them in that position. Do you remember his tatoo he got before the accident? It proves a troubled mind combined with a risky sport is a seriously dangerous combination. Later.

vin
02-25-2004, 08:03 AM
Kobble,

In December '02 I fractured and dislocated my shoulder. Yes, my serving shoulder :( It still gives me pain, but it's also still improving.

A guy I used to race with was a big tennis player and had to give it up because of his knees. He's had at least a few knee surgeries, all because of skiing. It's a great sport, but in my opinion, not great enough to risk the ability to participate in other activities. It was a very tough decision, but I'm happy I made it. Especially when I hear about people that I used to race with tearing ligaments and breaking bones. Tennis has proved to be a nice distraction :) And you can't beat a sport that you can play all year long.

Didn't see Bill Johnsons's tatoo, but I know for sure that those guys are crazy! Those guys ski faster than a lot of people on this board can serve a tennis ball.

Vin

Kobble
02-25-2004, 08:35 AM
He got his tatoo after his wife divorced him, and it said "Ski to Die". :twisted:

Cypo
02-25-2004, 09:55 AM
Bode Miller has a large fan club here in Austria. If your at all familiar with skiing and know how incrediably nationalistic it is (in Europe anyway), you'll realize how amazing this is. People just can't help liking him, both for his outrageous talent, and for his low key personality and humour.

vin
02-25-2004, 10:10 AM
Yes Cypo, I realize how amazing that is considering it is the #1 goal of the Austrian team to prevent Bode from winning the overall World Cup title. Austria has a great team as always. I escpecially like watching Raich. I think the US and Austria may have even ended the training relationship they had going the previous year, but I'm not sure.

I don't think ski racing is nearly as popluar in America as it is in Austria. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if more Austrians than Americans know who Body Miller is.

Cypo
02-25-2004, 10:17 AM
Vin, your dead on. Even if you hate all sports, if you live here you know who Bode Miller, Herman Maier, Benny Reichl, Renate Goschl, Peekaboo Street, Alberto Tomba, Micheala Dorfmeister...and last but not least....(drum roll please) HANSI HINTERSEERER ( :roll: ) are .

Kobble
02-25-2004, 11:59 AM
I believe Miller and Darren Rahlves have a house in Austria that is next to an excellent ski spot. Do you know the area Cypo? It is so ironic that the guy who wouldn't ski right is now the most analyzed guy out there. Last I heard was the Austrian were trting to incorporate some of his technique into their own skiers.

SlowPez
02-25-2004, 12:40 PM
8) :o :twisted:

Shaolin
03-03-2004, 08:58 AM
I have hit flat serves clocked at 129, but I agree its spin and placement that is the important thing. You will get more aces hitting short angles with spin going out of the dub alley than flat at 120. Esp. slice serves out wide at a short angle, those are hard to return if you hit them well.

Jeez... You know youve gotten old when you start saying "placement not power". Ive officially just turned into my old coach.

Cypo
03-03-2004, 09:27 AM
Kobble - I meant to try to find an answer for you, but I'm afraid it slipped my mind. I could be cheap and say somewhere between Vienna and Bregenz (since most towns in Austria are near good ski resorts, a great thing about this country), but I'll try to get more specific than that.

Shaolin - from your location (Its about where youre from, not where you went.) sounds like you're from Philadelphia :-)

jmckinney
03-03-2004, 09:48 AM
I hit my serve at about 110-115 but put the ball pretty much where I want to. A flat serve is much easier to return at 125-130 than a spin out wide or down the T at 110 or above. I hit with spin on my serve and not very many flat. Speed is good but spin and placement are much better-just ask Pete.

Cypo
03-04-2004, 12:47 AM
Well - no one I know knew, but I found this:

"INTERESTING FACTS He has a house near Insbruck (Austria) and he lives in when there is World Cup in Europe. He shares it with his team mate Eric Shlopy.
He has 2 sisters and they're both snowboarders.
Not a long time ago he wanted to be a pro football player.
He really likes to play basketball.
At home they have a huge complex with 12 tennis courts, football field...
His role-model is American tennis player Pete Sampras because he was a really long time on the top... He really admires Pete."

Kobble
03-04-2004, 12:10 PM
Looks like Bloom is covering the football/skier deal instead. Is there anything Miller can't make pro at?

30 - 15 is my ad
03-08-2004, 12:43 AM
it usually sticks in the chain link unless it hits the baseline first...