PDA

View Full Version : What's the story with Tsonga's racquets?

Rexking
01-30-2010, 10:22 AM
I know he used to use Wilson Hyper Prostaff 6.5 with a kblade pj but now he's using Aeropro drive? and not a pj? cortex or no cortex? lead amount and locations? Anyone has full specs?

What about the Wilson Kobra he was using last year, was it a pj of the ps6.5 or APD? or was it a real Kobra?

I don't understand why would a top pro like himself change to a complete new racquet? I mean at least Djokovic's head is essentially the same racquet he's been using all his life. Has Tsonga always used the ps6.5 since junior years?

Sorry for all the question. Appreciate any replies.

DNShade
01-30-2010, 10:33 AM
All kinds of threads and info about this already...

In short - JW tried out the Bab early last year and really liked it. He was still under contract with Wilson for the rest of the year - so he switched to the closest thing Wilson had - the Kobra. Yes - it was a real Kobra from all reports - not a pj.

He signed with Bab this year and switched to his new stick - APD or some variation to his specs I assume - but it's a real Bab. No idea about any customization he's had done - but that's the story up to now.

Bottom line - he liked the new stick over his old one - and I'm sure Bab was happy to pay him a nice fee to join so they could have one of their top players in their home country on board.

Aces09
01-30-2010, 06:42 PM
one of the commentators at the AO said he's got a really big grip and his racquet is heavier than the stock version, it's not much info but it's all i got.

:-P

heavy, big grip. xD

DNShade
01-30-2010, 06:45 PM
Yeah..Darren actually said that it had a bit different pj than Nadal's - shinier that Rafa's. Interesting comment.

ipitythefool
01-30-2010, 07:14 PM
Wonder if his racquet has the cortex on it lol. Can anyone catch a frame shot with one of those hi tech hdtv toys? :)

And what I notice is, he uses the APDC(GT) more like a "normal" racquet, than Nadal's very 12 o'clock heavy racquet. What I mean by normal is, opposite of Nadal's, I guess. More like an even balanced stick, something that lets him move around all court, and not exceptionally head heavy like nadal's.

Hidious
01-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Commentator's comments about racquets = worthless.

"It's shinier than rafa's... But isn't it a light racket for such a big guy?" It's like Fedace was in the studio.

Rexking
01-31-2010, 07:11 AM
All kinds of threads and info about this already...

In short - JW tried out the Bab early last year and really liked it. He was still under contract with Wilson for the rest of the year - so he switched to the closest thing Wilson had - the Kobra. Yes - it was a real Kobra from all reports - not a pj.

He signed with Bab this year and switched to his new stick - APD or some variation to his specs I assume - but it's a real Bab. No idea about any customization he's had done - but that's the story up to now.

Bottom line - he liked the new stick over his old one - and I'm sure Bab was happy to pay him a nice fee to join so they could have one of their top players in their home country on board.

Thanks for the response. It'll be nice to know his setup as theres no visible lead tapes on the frame. Wonder if his is head heavy like Rafa's or head light.

Rexking
01-31-2010, 07:13 AM
Yeah..Darren actually said that it had a bit different pj than Nadal's - shinier that Rafa's. Interesting comment.

Shinier than Rafa's probably is another confirmation that its a real APD not a pj as most pjs have matt finish. Rafa's not shiny because its non cortex, Im just speculating here.

baseline_monster
01-31-2010, 07:18 AM
He will have lots of lead in the handle and alot under the bumber, or they will have produced the frames to his spec and only needed a small amount of customization and matching.