PDA

View Full Version : String gauges

roddick_rulz
01-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Can you guys give me the advantages of using a high gauge as appose to a low string gauge and vise versa.
I had been using the Luxillon Alu Power 16L and Babolat VS 16 Natural Gut. I thought they would be the same string width, but I checked and the 17 Natural Gut is in fact the same width.
Would it be wise for me to switch to a 17 gauge Nat Gut?

royfrombigd
01-30-2010, 12:13 PM
Can you guys give me the advantages of using a high gauge as appose to a low string gauge and vise versa.
I had been using the Luxillon Alu Power 16L and Babolat VS 16 Natural Gut. I thought they would be the same string width, but I checked and the 17 Natural Gut is in fact the same width.

I just like using the thinner string because I do believe it creates more spin on my shots. I'm not really a natural topspin hitter so I'll take all the help I can get. I'm not a string breaker though. The downside to using the 17G Nat Gut is that it won't last as long as the thicker 16G. Hope that helps.

beststringer
01-31-2010, 03:04 PM

16 and 17 don't make a lot of difference. don't go to 18 if you break strings easily. i think there is a bigger difference between 15 and 17,