PDA

View Full Version : PK Ki 10 PSE ???

mary fierce
04-27-2005, 05:38 PM
This racquet looks so promising on paper, but no feedback reported on it. Anyone have a chance to hit with it?

gotwheels
04-28-2005, 06:37 PM
I am also interested in player feedback on the PK Ki 10 PSE and the PK Ki 10. Anyone out there using these sticks? Thanks

Ruuzo
04-28-2005, 07:52 PM
i may not be the best person to ask, because i haven't used a wide variety of rackets, but i'll talk about my experience so far with the ki 10 pse- i've been using it for about 2 months now as my primary racket. my previous racket was a 5g pse which i used for a year so thats my main frame of reference. i'm 29 years old, a 4.0 baseliner, semi-western forehand, 2-handed backhand, equal parts singles and doubles, play 4 times a week, about 3 hours each time. i've settled on 2 inches of lead just above the 3 & 9 positions, and about 6 inches of lead under the grip. i'm not sure what the final weight is.

its alot stiffer in the hoop and alot lighter, which has actually aggravated my elbow some. i've never used a tweener racket before so maybe that comes with the territory, and i've been playing low tension recently (54/58 lbs before now down to 53 lbs) which has helped somewhat. the benefits compared to the 5G PSE is more power, more spin, but i feel like less control overall compared to my 5G PSE even though i get more spin with the ki 10 PSE. but most importantly for me, the ki 10 PSE is much more maneuverable than the 5G PSE, which was what i needed most. because the 5G PSE is so heavy it was much harder to adjust my swing path once i got the racket moving, so any last second adjustments were nearly impossible. with the ki 10 PSE, i can make those last second adjustments if i need to. volleys are of course much better because of the maneuverability issue. serve is vastly
improved with the ki 10 PSE, it is just flat-out better for me in every department compared to the 5G PSE (power, control, spin) probably because i can generate a much faster swing speed with it (weight issue again).

groundstrokes have been more difficult for me to control because of the increased power, and because i've strung with low tension to try to help out my elbow while using this racket. the combination is going to take some getting used to. sometimes i think the only way i'm going to be able to really swing out again with this racket is to use poly, but in the meantime i've slowed my swing speed down a bit. sometimes i find myself stopping my backhand swing short because it just has so much power that if i do anything but stick the racket out there i'm afraid its going to fly long. but these may really just be technique issues, i'm not sure. i've been thinking about trying to find some kind of really low-powered but soft string (RIP control from what i hear?) to go with this racket for me.

ok, hope this helps!

gotwheels
04-29-2005, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the reply Ruzzo. Are there any other PK Ki10 PSE/Ki 10 experiences out there? Thanks

monologuist
04-29-2005, 05:02 PM
I tried this racquet a few months ago...was hoping for a more arm friendly Pro Kennex Laver SX...unfrotunately, it felt rather club-like with its even-balance, high swingweight, plus the Kinetic beads...couldn't get enough head-speed to take advantage of the "Destiny" frame design...also couldn't get it around fast enough on serves to get the pace I want. It plays much heavier than specs might suggest at first glance. It also feels lacking in feel to me, as most of the Ki racquets do ...but I guess that's the trade-off for arm protection...you're just not gonna get the sma ekind of feel/touch when there's all the junk rolling around inside. I liked the 7g the best out of all the "bead" racquets in the PK line...although it also was lacking in the spin department a little. I play best with the Laver SX , by far, out of the PK line....I was having some arm pain, but things are better now that I have Laserfibre Supreme 17 in it @ around 60 lbs. I also leaded up the handle a little to make it about 12 oz., 10 pts. headlight. We'll see...if I keep getting arm pain, I might have to break down and try a Vantage...as it may be the only way for me to get everything I wan under one roof : 100 sq. in., softer flex, 27.5", sub-23mm. beam, Wilson-ish grip, 12 oz., 10 pts. headlight.

The Ki 10 pse might work better if you leaded up the handle to get it to 8 pts. headlight or so, at least on serves, but static weight will be significantly higher by that point, and swingweight will still feel pretty high, especially with the Ki technology.

kevin
05-02-2005, 02:25 AM
Yes, agree with monologusit about leading up the ki10pse at the handle.

I uses a PK7g and the Ki10pse is almost identical in specs except the balance.

The ki10pse is more head heavy, is not as maneuverable as my 7g, volley and last minute reflex shots are difficult, but spin is easy to generate.

Serves that normally would be long with the 7g were droping in with the Ki10pse. In fact, serve is even easier with ki10pse once I added lead to the butt end.

My playing partners commented about my improved % in serve and the topspin are dipping in closer to the service line as compared to deep into baseline when I am using the 7g.

The Ki10pse is strung with poly at 59 lbs, my 7g is 58 lbs gut. To me, the Ki10pse is not as good as the 7g is feel and touch shots. I take it as mismatch for me in tension and string selection (I hate poly).