PDA

View Full Version : Broken Grommet/Bumper Guard

GOOOOOGA
04-27-2005, 06:12 PM
I broke my bumper guard and a grommet on my Babolat PD+, and i bought the little replacement pack (with a replacement bumper and grommets). now the question is, where do i go to get my racquet fixed? i asked my coach if he could, but he said he doesn't really know how to do that. Is there any way i can do it myself without killing myself? if not, where shud i go (or who should i go to) to get the new grommets and bumper guard installed? can tenniswarehouse do it?

Leon
04-27-2005, 07:29 PM
Any good stringing shop. As long as a guy there knows what he is doing :D There are few that don't know

Prince_of_Tennis
04-27-2005, 07:31 PM
Just pop out the old ones and pop the news one in...Isn't that hard.

GOOOOOGA
04-28-2005, 03:20 AM
Princeofsky, thats what im asking: how DO u pop them out and put the new ones in?

SS
04-28-2005, 04:30 AM
1.Cut the strings out of the racquet.
2.Using needle nose pliers (curved needle nose pliers work better) and pull the old grommets and bumper guards out.
3.If you have an awl, use it to push out the grommets (inside of the racquet) where the strings are knotted (tied off)
4.Inspect and clean the racquet so that there is no debris between the racquet and the new grommets.
5.Insert the grommets first (on both sides start at 5 and 7 o'clock position of the racquet and work your way up) Using the awl will help line up the grommets into the hole
6.once the grommets are in go ahead and put the bumper guard on. Before putting the bumper guard on use a hair dryer to "soften" the bumper guard as this will help give it more manueverability when putting it on the racquet. Do this for a couple of minutes. use the awl to line up the holes of the grommets and insert into racquet at the 12 o'clock position (make sure it lines up with each hole) and work your way down to the 3 and 9 o'clock position
7. If the bumper kit does not stay, you can use a piece of packing string to tie down the bumper guard.

I've had some experience in replacing bumper/grommet kits for customers/friends.

Hope this helps.

GOOOOOGA
04-28-2005, 04:48 PM
thanks ss. im gonna try it this weekend

SS
05-03-2005, 09:08 AM
GOOOOGA - were you able to install the bumper/grommets in to your racquet?
Just wanted to see how it went.

SS

TennisD
05-03-2005, 11:37 AM
I usually just do my CAP grommets myself...once you figure it out, it's easy stuff.