PDA

View Full Version : TW: Need help stringing my next racquet

obener
01-31-2010, 07:35 AM
hi everyone,

i have always got my tennis racquets (head prestige) strung with Babolat VS Natural ThermoGut 16 Touch String (mains and crosses) and i heard a lot of hybrid stringing. I know one of the most popular hybrid is having Luxilon Big Banger ALU Rough 16L and Babolat VS Natural ThermoGut 16 Touch for mains and crosses. I have done my own research but I am getting no where with it.

What would be the advantages and disadvantages of having such hybrid (Luxilon Big Banger ALU Rough 16L and Babolat VS Natural ThermoGut 16 Touch for mains and crosses) compared to just using Babolat VS Natural ThermoGut 16 Touch String for mains and crosses?

I just wanted to know if anyone can help me on choosing the string of my next racquet if i should still stick with the Babolat VS Natural ThermoGut 16 Touch String or go for a hybrid?

Tar Heel Tennis
01-31-2010, 07:50 AM
what is your age? how often do you break strings? what ailments (if any) do you have? do you like to hit a flat ball, or with spin? what is your ntrp?

obener
01-31-2010, 08:10 AM
what is your age? how often do you break strings? what ailments (if any) do you have? do you like to hit a flat ball, or with spin? what is your ntrp?

25. i have never broken the gut strings i used. health wise none :) but with tennis i would say i hit the ball time to time too long/flies away i feel the string is too tight (i usually get it strung at 57).last week i opened one of the new racquets which was strung with vsgut at 57 and it played really well, could it be the string since its the same racquet types.

hmm and also im not that great with my serves. i love to spin the ball whenever i can but i try to hit it flat towards the baseline the other times. coming down to ntrp since i dont live in the states, i have checked the ntrp ranking and i would say i would be a 4.0

Tar Heel Tennis
01-31-2010, 08:20 AM
It sounds like using a poly string (Big Banger, etc) is probably not going to be the best fit for you. Poly's are great for increasing spin, but your VS already provides exceptional spin (if you hit from low-to-high).

If you want to mute power (hit past the baseline less often), either string your VS at a higher tension (60# perhaps), or hybrid with a synthetic gut.

another reason why you should probably stay away from a poly string is that the poly will 'die' much much sooner than the gut. unless you are okay with cutting out perfectly fine gut strings every couple of weeks when the poly goes bad, I wouldn't use poly.

obener
01-31-2010, 08:40 AM
It sounds like using a poly string (Big Banger, etc) is probably not going to be the best fit for you. Poly's are great for increasing spin, but your VS already provides exceptional spin (if you hit from low-to-high).

If you want to mute power (hit past the baseline less often), either string your VS at a higher tension (60# perhaps), or hybrid with a synthetic gut.

another reason why you should probably stay away from a poly string is that the poly will 'die' much much sooner than the gut. unless you are okay with cutting out perfectly fine gut strings every couple of weeks when the poly goes bad, I wouldn't use poly.

Yeah I thought the VS was arm friendly and helped with the spin. Well I like getting the ball as close as to the baseline but not away a lot from the baseline.

I am confused about the poly, if it will 'die' so soon compared to the gut why does many players used that gut, poly hybrid a lot? i wouldnt be keen to cut good strings every couple of weeks.

Tar Heel Tennis
01-31-2010, 09:04 AM
^ many pros use a poly/gut hybrid, because they string their rackets so frequently that the poly never has a chance to lose its liveliness.

many recreational players use a poly hybrid because so many pros do. there are plenty of players that emulate their favorite professional (same racket, same grip size, same string setup, etc) with no regard to the fact that s/he has no business playing with that equipment and/or setup. just goes to show how powerful marketing can be - particularly on impressionable minds.

Poly is a great type of string if you hit the felt off the ball, hit with tons of topspin, and break strings easily. For almost everyone else, there are better options available.

obener
01-31-2010, 09:08 AM
^ many pros use a poly/gut hybrid, because they string their rackets so frequently that the poly never has a chance to lose its liveliness.

many recreational players use a poly hybrid because so many pros do. there are plenty of players that emulate their favorite professional (same racket, same grip size, same string setup, etc) with no regard to the fact that s/he has no business playing with that equipment and/or setup. just goes to show how powerful marketing can be - particularly on impressionable minds.

Poly is a great type of string if you hit the felt off the ball, hit with tons of topspin, and break strings easily. For almost everyone else, there are better options available.

does the same apply if the whole racquet was strong poly? that it looses it liveliness quickly?

at the same time i had a question about the gut. since i play regularly every week. how long does it usually take for a gut string to loose its liveliness?

jim e
01-31-2010, 09:10 AM
Yeah I thought the VS was arm friendly and helped with the spin. Well I like getting the ball as close as to the baseline but not away a lot from the baseline.

I am confused about the poly, if it will 'die' so soon compared to the gut why does many players used that gut, poly hybrid a lot? i wouldnt be keen to cut good strings every couple of weeks.

I like the all VS gut myself.I have used gut mains/alu cross, hit like gut but toned down the power a little (some like that), and poly mains/ vsgut cross and that hit more like a poly set up than all gut, and since the poly dies quickly,and I am not a string breaker (relatively flat hitter), it was best for me with all gut.I prefer the tension at 64 lbs. for my OS racquet, and 61lbs. for the MP. Thats a preference that each has to decide on their own, but most of the gut clients that I string for have gone up a few lbs. over the previous syn. gut that they used. All gut plays well for me until it breaks

Tar Heel Tennis
01-31-2010, 12:18 PM
^^ the poly will lose its liveliness quickly, regardless if its strung as a full set or a hybrid.

the nat. gut will never lose its liveliness. one of the benefits of gut is that it will play well for the duration of it's life.

i use natural gut in all but one of my frames. i don't even consider replacing it until it breaks. i only use a multi in one frame to use when the conditions (court and/or light rain) don't favor gut use.

efthemios
01-31-2010, 03:10 PM

I agree with this to a point. But, man. Why do you care? I picked up a pro staff 6.0 when I was 15 because I wanted to be Pete Sampras. Eventually realizing this type of stick was beyond my skill level, I tried a ton of lighter, more powerful racquets. Hated every one of them. I use Fed's K90 now, not because I want to be him (actually, that may not be so bad), but because it's an incredible frame.

obener
02-01-2010, 05:30 AM

the tension range of the youtek prestige mp is 52-62. will 60 be fine for the vs to be strung at? or is it too close to the higher range?which could cause the string to break easier.

I agree with this to a point. But, man. Why do you care? I picked up a pro staff 6.0 when I was 15 because I wanted to be Pete Sampras. Eventually realizing this type of stick was beyond my skill level, I tried a ton of lighter, more powerful racquets. Hated every one of them. I use Fed's K90 now, not because I want to be him (actually, that may not be so bad), but because it's an incredible frame.

i agree with you both. tar heel is just saying that its better to go for what suits you rather than try to suit something that doesnt.but i do agree with you too, i have made purchases before like you did.