PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully my final post about what strings to try for TE

Blask
01-31-2010, 02:33 PM
Okay, I'm finally sick of dealing with TE and want to make a change. I've ordered a few demo racquets and now need to dial in the strings. I'm going to list below what I like and don't like.. along with what I've tried so everyone has an idea of the path that I've been down.

Full Nat gut - didn't like it on it's own. I've used VS and the nat gut by the same company that isn't quite as good of quality. (can't think of the name right now). I've also tried a hybrid with Gosen Micro 17 and hated it.

PHT - love it in a full job but obviously has done a great job of messing up my elbow and shoulder. If I can find something that is like this but more forgiving than that would be ideal

Cyber Blue 17g - I really like this in a hybrid with Gosen Micro 17 in the crosses. I felt that the cyber blue went dead pretty quickly and wasn't really the best for my elbow either.

PSGD - didn't like it at all

X-1 - not a fan

Prince Pro blend - played with this all in high school and loved it. Obviously worst case scenario for TE.

Luxilon ALU Power - didn't enjoy it compared to PHT

Wilson Sensation - felt like it had no pop

Those are the most recent ones. Where do I go next? I've never tried Gosen in the mains w/ Poly in the crosses but I'm not sure that will give me what I want or what is best for my arm. Thanks for all the help. The TW board is a lot more knowledgeable about strings than I am.

Blask
01-31-2010, 02:37 PM
I've heard some good things regarding some of the Isospeed strings since they are arm friendly but I'm not sure what to compare them to in terms of playability. It says it's a Polyolefin but I'm not sure what that is.

beststringer
01-31-2010, 02:37 PM
Okay, I'm finally sick of dealing with TE and want to make a change. I've ordered a few demo racquets and now need to dial in the strings. I'm going to list below what I like and don't like.. along with what I've tried so everyone has an idea of the path that I've been down.

Full Nat gut - didn't like it on it's own. I've used VS and the nat gut by the same company that isn't quite as good of quality. (can't think of the name right now). I've also tried a hybrid with Gosen Micro 17 and hated it.

PHT - love it in a full job but obviously has done a great job of messing up my elbow and shoulder. If I can find something that is like this but more forgiving than that would be ideal

Cyber Blue 17g - I really like this in a hybrid with Gosen Micro 17 in the crosses. I felt that the cyber blue went dead pretty quickly and wasn't really the best for my elbow either.

PSGD - didn't like it at all

X-1 - not a fan

Prince Pro blend - played with this all in high school and loved it. Obviously worst case scenario for TE.

Luxilon ALU Power - didn't enjoy it compared to PHT

Wilson Sensation - felt like it had no pop

Those are the most recent ones. Where do I go next? I've never tried Gosen in the mains w/ Poly in the crosses but I'm not sure that will give me what I want or what is best for my arm. Thanks for all the help. The TW board is a lot more knowledgeable about strings than I am.

Maybe you should get a new racket? I heard the MG Pro is not that good.

Blask
01-31-2010, 02:43 PM
working on the new racquet. I moved from the Wilson 6.1 line w/ stiffness around 69 to the MG Pro which is low 60's. Next move is 60 or better, just working on finding the right stick.

beststringer
01-31-2010, 02:54 PM
working on the new racquet. I moved from the Wilson 6.1 line w/ stiffness around 69 to the MG Pro which is low 60's. Next move is 60 or better, just working on finding the right stick.

Try Pro Kennex Kinetics. They really help with elbow issues.

Tennissee
01-31-2010, 03:21 PM
Someone is going to tell you it's your technique. But before they do, let's assume your technique is fine. Then you have the following to think about: 1) racquet, 2) strings, and 3) tension.

I agree with beststringer, you might want to find a PK frame, preferably 5G. Whatever string you put in it, make sure the tension is not very high. You're not going to believe this, but the best combo I've found for 5G is Ashaway Kevlar 18g (48 lb) x any synthetic gut 17g (50 lbs). You'll find some others liking this set-up on this board also. Kevlar at low tension is something else. People will tell you kevlar is bad for TE, but kevlar is amazing at low tension.

Just my two pennies.

Blask
01-31-2010, 03:50 PM
Please keep the string ideas coming. I have some PK sticks on demo to arrive next week. My form has been checked over the years by multiple pros and that's not the issue.

tennis005
01-31-2010, 03:58 PM
What about NXT?

Kick Serve 14
01-31-2010, 04:05 PM
I've heard some good things regarding some of the Isospeed strings since they are arm friendly but I'm not sure what to compare them to in terms of playability. It says it's a Polyolefin but I'm not sure what that is.

It's an augmented sibling of Polyester. It is softer on the arm, and holds tension better, but is more powerful. IMO, it is actually closer to a multi than a poly, but it has the durability of a poly.

samster
01-31-2010, 04:22 PM
Recommend you use the strings listed in my setup (see my signature).

samster
01-31-2010, 04:23 PM
Isospeed Professional Classic locks the natural gut mains in place, allowing you to generate poly-like spin.

Gtech
01-31-2010, 05:00 PM
Based on my own experience fighting TE, there is absolutely no substitute to natural gut from Babolat.

I have tried many top tier multis including LiveWire, X-One, NRG, KGut, NXT, NXT Tour, Excel, Excel Power, FXP and nothing comes remotely close the shock absorbtion of natural gut.

Hybrids have not worked for me even with gut in the mains.

For TE, I feel it is not vibration that is the main problem, is the shock being absorbed in your arm while your tendons are tight trying to hold on to the racket.

Take a look at the stiffness ratings on strings the link below, and you can see there is a huge difference between gut and the next best multis.

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200809/200809allstrings.html

If you really want to leasen the pain of TE, you should try natural gut again. For me, even though it is counter most recommendations, natural gut strung tight i.e. 62-65lbs works the best. There is minimal vibrations due to high tension, yet the gut still absorbs shock like no other string.

kiteboard
01-31-2010, 10:04 PM

Ribbon construct. Good control string, soft on the arm, under powered.

kiteboard
01-31-2010, 10:05 PM
Based on my own experience fighting TE, there is absolutely no substitute to natural gut from Babolat.

I have tried many top tier multis including LiveWire, X-One, NRG, KGut, NXT, NXT Tour, Excel, Excel Power, FXP and nothing comes remotely close the shock absorbtion of natural gut.

Hybrids have not worked for me even with gut in the mains.

For TE, I feel it is not vibration that is the main problem, is the shock being absorbed in your arm while your tendons are tight trying to hold on to the racket.

Take a look at the stiffness ratings on strings the link below, and you can see there is a huge difference between gut and the next best multis.

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200809/200809allstrings.html

If you really want to leasen the pain of TE, you should try natural gut again. For me, even though it is counter most recommendations, natural gut strung tight i.e. 62-65lbs works the best. There is minimal vibrations due to high tension, yet the gut still absorbs shock like no other string.

Exactly. Try the global gut at $10/set, with alu power cross 1.25mm.

Blask
02-01-2010, 12:51 PM
Tell me some more about Isospeed. That might be a good alternative to try.

gflyer
02-01-2010, 01:07 PM
About the same problem here.
I used to be an addict of poly until my elbow couldn't take it anymore.
So I decided to switch to nat gut.
I tried Tonic+ (the "cheaper" version of VS). It is too soft and powerful.
But I do love Klip Legend (16). Very crisp. You might want to give it a shot.

Blask
02-01-2010, 01:15 PM
About the same problem here.
I used to be an addict of poly until my elbow couldn't take it anymore.
So I decided to switch to nat gut.
I tried Tonic+ (the "cheaper version of VS). It is too soft and powerful.
But I do love Klip Legend (16). Very crisp. You might want to give it a shot.

Thanks for the suggestion. What tension were you at w/ the poly and what do you string the Klip at?

Blask
02-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Where is everyone buying Global gut at? I know the bay is an option but are there others?

gflyer
02-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. What tension were you at w/ the poly and what do you string the Klip at?

I was using cyber-flash 1.25 at 52x50lb.
Now I am using Klip Legend 16 at 60lb.

coloskier
02-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Depending on what kind of game you play, I just tried Head RIP Control 17 (white) for the 1st time and it was very nice on the elbow. I already play with a stiff racket (KPS88) at 60#, and just hit with this stuff about 2 hours ago. Here is my review....

Groundies - Very nice, soft on the arm, very good access to spin if you want it, but you'll have to swing pretty hard to hit tons of spin and get it close to the baseline. It is a very low powered string so if you hit flat to medium spin (like me) you won't have to change a thing. It is definitely a string for someone that hits with a full swing. I had no problems hitting too long, even at altitude. Great for short angle heavy topspin shots, and shots hit down the middle with heavy topspin really jump into your opponent. I don't know how long it lasts because there was string movement almost immediately.

Volleys - Very good touch at the net. I could put the ball almost anywhere I wanted it.

Return of serve - Here is where this string really shines. My normal hitting partner is a lefty, and can hit it to my backhand side 90% of the time. I was able to take a full swing at the return and keep it in the court. So far this is the only string that I have played with (VS Gut, Topspin Cyber Blue, Concept Pure, SPPP are the others I have played with in this racket) that I have been able to do this with.

Serve - Because the string really grips the ball, I had to put a lot more power on a slice serve to keep it from netting from too much spin. Once I got the feel for it, I could really move the slice serve around the box, and my playing partner had real trouble with serves into the body. Also, trying to just block back the slice serve didn't work too well for him because there was so much spin on the ball that it would jump off his racket at contact. A flat serve really moves off the string. Kick serve jumps pretty good.

All in all, it seems that this string may be just what I was looking for in my KPS88. Soft on the elbow, low powered, with good access to spin.

Now, if only I could find someone in the US that sells the 200 m reels in white or black.