PDA

View Full Version : Inside of forearm tingly sore

johndagolfer
01-31-2010, 05:50 PM
I just got back from my first match in 13 years. Something I noticed was that the inside of my forearm, near the elbow got tingly after the first set and proceeded to get almost numb.

To clarify the location, if you face your palms upward it is locate in the muscle on the right side of the forearm.

I seems that my service motion is causing it because I don't feel it, except the weakness in the entire arm itself, during groundies.

I was definitely bombing my serves today, but it also seemed effortless. I wasn't struggling at all and my arm and grip were loose and comfortable during the entire motion.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? It doesn't affect anything went away an hour after my match (the same as the 3 other times this has happened). The only time it gets tingly is during the serve.

Anyone have any idea what this could be?

mikeler
01-31-2010, 06:49 PM
Considering that you are just getting back in the game, my first thought is "take it easy". Maybe play some doubles or do an hour of hitting for the next few times on the court. Your arm is not used to the rigors of best 2 out of 3 matches

Second thought I had was this. I've been battling Golfer's Elbow (Google it) forever. You do not want to get this, TRUST ME.

johndagolfer
01-31-2010, 06:51 PM
Yeah, I was looking at that. I discounted it because the pain there is on the inside of the arm near the bone. This definitely feels like muscle tingling over a tendon.

mikeler
01-31-2010, 07:19 PM
Yeah, I was looking at that. I discounted it because the pain there is on the inside of the arm near the bone. This definitely feels like muscle tingling over a tendon.

Whoa. If it is on the bony protrusion on the inside of your elbow with palm facing up, that is GE. Hopefully I'm not understanding your post correctly.

johndagolfer
02-01-2010, 04:09 AM
Actually looking at a muscular diagram I think the muscle that is aching (still a tad sore is the brachioradialis.

Do you think this is muscle fatigue? Would that cause a tinglying feeling followed by numbness?

J_R_B
02-01-2010, 05:40 AM
Actually looking at a muscular diagram I think the muscle that is aching (still a tad sore is the brachioradialis.

Do you think this is muscle fatigue? Would that cause a tinglying feeling followed by numbness?

A tingly feeling and numbness is a nerve issue of some sort. You may have a pinched or entrapped nerve somewhere in that area, but I'm not a medical person, so I can't really give you any more specific advice.

charliefedererer
02-01-2010, 11:01 AM
The area you describe indicates the ulnar nerve was either stretched in its superficial position on the inside of your elbow (when you bump this area you get the "funny bone" sensation from bruising the ulnar nerve), or the ulnar nerve is getting caught up in the inflammation of the tendons due to an early case of golfer's elbow.

"Entrapment of the ulnar nerve
What is the ulnar nerve?
The ulnar nerve runs down the inside of the elbow. If you knock the inside of the elbow you can get a numbness or buzzing down the forearm into the forth and fifth fingers (hitting your funny bone). It is the ulnar nerve that is being hit when this happens. If the muscles in the forearm become inflammed they can trap the ulnar nerve causing symptoms that can be similar to Golfers elbow.
Symptoms of an entraped ulnar nerve include:
Pain on the inside of the elbow after long throwing sessions or tennis matches.
Pain which increases and radiates to the outer two fingers of the hand.
What can you do?
Rest
What can a doctor do?
Prescribe anti-inflammatory medication
Immobilize the arm for a short period.
Operate."
-http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/elbow/ulnarnerve.htm

So you need to rest the area. And icing it likely will help. Certainly if it is not getting better right away, or if it recurrs you need a sports medicine orthopod that has an interest in elbow/forearm problems to evaluate you.
Once it is better, strongly consider building up the forearm muscles with wrist curls, a Flexbar green or blue, and a hand gripper. Actually, all 10 of the thrower's ten would be a good idea for any tennis player, but perhaps especially important for someone returning to the sport.
I assume from your moniker you are doubly stressing this area by playing golf as well.
I hope you are using, or will switch to a flexible (flex <65) reasonably heavy (>11 ounces) frame with a soft multifilament or natural gut strings.
And come back slowly after your arm is all better with some short hitting sessions, expanding into practice serving and longer sessions before match play. If you get the inflammation really going from repetitive injury, you will have to sit out a long time to fully recover.

johndagolfer
02-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Hi Charlie,

Looking up an ulna nerve diagram it doesn't seem to me that it is the cause of my pain. The tingling, which is just a minor dull ache, was on the other side of the arm(much closer to the brachialradii muscle.

I think you are right however in that I need to rest my arm, after 12 years I have come back really quickly, maybe too much so. I'll try those exercises you suggest as well.

Thanks,

mikeler
02-01-2010, 12:00 PM
The area you describe indicates the ulnar nerve was either stretched in its superficial position on the inside of your elbow (when you bump this area you get the "funny bone" sensation from bruising the ulnar nerve), or the ulnar nerve is getting caught up in the inflammation of the tendons due to an early case of golfer's elbow.

"Entrapment of the ulnar nerve
What is the ulnar nerve?
The ulnar nerve runs down the inside of the elbow. If you knock the inside of the elbow you can get a numbness or buzzing down the forearm into the forth and fifth fingers (hitting your funny bone). It is the ulnar nerve that is being hit when this happens. If the muscles in the forearm become inflammed they can trap the ulnar nerve causing symptoms that can be similar to Golfers elbow.
Symptoms of an entraped ulnar nerve include:
Pain on the inside of the elbow after long throwing sessions or tennis matches.
Pain which increases and radiates to the outer two fingers of the hand.
What can you do?
Rest
What can a doctor do?
Prescribe anti-inflammatory medication
Immobilize the arm for a short period.
Operate."
-http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/elbow/ulnarnerve.htm

So you need to rest the area. And icing it likely will help. Certainly if it is not getting better right away, or if it recurrs you need a sports medicine orthopod that has an interest in elbow/forearm problems to evaluate you.
Once it is better, strongly consider building up the forearm muscles with wrist curls, a Flexbar green or blue, and a hand gripper. Actually, all 10 of the thrower's ten would be a good idea for any tennis player, but perhaps especially important for someone returning to the sport.
I assume from your moniker you are doubly stressing this area by playing golf as well.
I hope you are using, or will switch to a flexible (flex <65) reasonably heavy (>11 ounces) frame with a soft multifilament or natural gut strings.
And come back slowly after your arm is all better with some short hitting sessions, expanding into practice serving and longer sessions before match play. If you get the inflammation really going from repetitive injury, you will have to sit out a long time to fully recover.

This is absolutely true. Trust me. Rest for now and it probably will not take long at all to get better.