PDA

View Full Version : Tie-break Question for USTA league tennis -

TheSubdude
01-31-2010, 05:28 PM
I was on the court today and my buddy and I went to a tie-break for the final set. He proceeded to tell me that the rules for tie-breakers had changed, and that we now changeover after 1, 5, 9, etc.

He said the USTA had switched to the Coman Tiebreak.

I thought the Coman was simply an alternative to the Conventional tie-break and which to be used was discussed beforehand (He and I always played conventionals.)

I see the Code addressing both, but I've yet to find where one is the preferred method over the other. I claim that neither is preferred; it's a matter of choice.

Anybody got a section number from the code or at least an opinion as to what is the standard tie-break?

Thanks.

Crusher10s
01-31-2010, 05:50 PM
The Coman Procedure was implemented and became mandatory here in Florida some three years ago.

Not sure why you haven't been told it's not optional in USTA matches in your section.

TheSubdude
01-31-2010, 06:01 PM
Crusher, is it mandatory for all tie-breaks - 1st set, 2nd set, 10 point 3rd set?

JavierLW
01-31-2010, 06:13 PM
The Coman Procedure was implemented and became mandatory here in Florida some three years ago.

Not sure why you haven't been told it's not optional in USTA matches in your section.

He's just playing with his buddy.

It's not mandatory that they use the Coman tiebreaker....

And it would incorrect to say the "USTA" has changed to the Coman tiebreaker.

It's up to a section or locality to determine if it has to be used in all leagues and/or tournaments. In some sections it's made it's way down to all of the local leagues, but in other sections it has not.

It's definately not a part of the Code or the rules, so if you're just playing with a friend, it's not even within the same arguement as you would have with any actual tennis rule.

It would be more like whether you decide to play a best of three set match, or a 10 game pro set, or advantage sets instead of tiebreaker, it's your own choice.....

TheSubdude
01-31-2010, 06:22 PM
You're right, but he said we should play the Coman because it is what will be expected in league.

League starts about a month from now. When I step on court in central MS I need to know what is expected. I'll ask a couple local shops what they know.

If it's passed down, I guess I need to find some sectional officials.

TheSubdude
01-31-2010, 06:36 PM
Problem solved - His captain communicates better than my captain.

Mississippi now uses the Coman all the way down the ladder. It was apparently only used at sectionals and above until this season.

The End.

ace18
02-01-2010, 07:44 AM
I play USTA out of Georgia and had never even heard of Coman TB. Last week, I participated in the Sectionals in Mobile and we played the Coman, it didn't seem that many people at all were familiar with it.

athiker
02-01-2010, 09:05 AM
USTA Southern: North Carolina has the switch to Coman Tiebreak listed under "New in 2010 USTA League Play". I know we never used it last year in any matches I was involved in.

http://www.nctennis.com/contentdetail.asp?ContentID=156

Here is a link to a PDF that anyone can print and keep in their bag: http://www.nctennis.com/pdffiles/ComanTiebreakProcedure.pdf

EDIT: Personally, I printed a copy the pages on both links to keep in my bag. I wouldn't be surprised if all the players on some teams are not informed of the change.