PDA

View Full Version : A good hybrid?

David123
01-31-2010, 07:09 PM
Hey guys what do you think of the following hybrids? (i am a 5.0 tennis player with a big forehand using some spin but mostly looking for flat shots, control and comfort)

Left=mains after the "/"= cross

1. Alu Rough 16L/Gosen OG micro 17 crosses
2. Topspin cyberflash 17/Gosen OG micro 17 crosses
3. Kirschbaum Proline II 17/ Multifeel

David123
01-31-2010, 11:01 PM
i have added a few more hybrids:

4. Technifibre NRG2/ Gamma synthetic gut
5. SilverString 1.25/ Gosen OG micro 17
6. Technifibre pro red code/PSGD 18

jrod
02-01-2010, 05:30 AM
Why no gut? I use a gut/co-poly hybrid and get excellent power, spin, control, feel and decent longevity. Is the cost prohibitive?

BigHitterSE
02-01-2010, 07:04 AM
Hey guys what do you think of the following hybrids? (i am a 5.0 tennis player with a big forehand using some spin but mostly looking for flat shots, control and comfort)

Left=mains after the "/"= cross

1. Alu Rough 16L/Gosen OG micro 17 crosses
2. Topspin cyberflash 17/Gosen OG micro 17 crosses
3. Kirschbaum Proline II 17/ Multifeel

Consider Pro Line II with Kirschbaum Touch Multifiber. Touch Multifiber is ultra soft and is perfect for hybrids.

t3Nn1sn0ob
02-01-2010, 01:25 PM
with my Pure storms ltd gt i got one strung up with signum poly plasma 17/x-one biphase 17 and one with PHT 17/VS Team 16g and both work great the signum hybrid gave me good feel and power while the PHT gave me that great soft feel

David123
02-01-2010, 02:58 PM
oh.. i am thinking of getting the Klip natural gut.. which of the co-polys stated above would most benefit me with the big forehand some spin and go along well with the gut?

rudester
02-01-2010, 06:10 PM
I strung my I prestige with Klip Legend mains and Polystar energy in the crosses, It plays really nice, but i am new to Polystar energy and not sure how the tension loss is on this particular string, i would think with natural gut in the mains almost any Poly you have liked previously would do well as a cross string

David123
02-01-2010, 07:03 PM
alright thanks.. never tried any natural gut before.. excited to try the klip legend.

jrod
02-02-2010, 04:32 AM
There are a few things I've learned that are noteworthy about using a gut/poly hybrid:

1. Gut mains are highly preferable to gut crosses. The mains dictate feel, and to some extent performance.

2. The longevity of the co-poly dictates how economical this set-up is. I prefer BBO, but would be changing strings every 4-6 hours since that is about the time BBO dies for me. Instead, I use a co-poly (WCSS) which retains its resilience for at least 16 hours.

3. Use a non-textured poly/co-poly cross. A textured poly cross can notch your gut mains more rapidly than a smooth poly will. In humid weather this can lead to fraying and premature breakage of the gut mains. Further, a smooth poly cross presents less resistance to the gut mains and allows them to restore themselves to their original position. I believe that this lower resistance actually enhances spin.

4. Gut loses tension less rapidly than poly/co-poly's. Therefore, string your gut mains at your preferred tension but compensate for the large potential initial tension loss on the poly crosses. Most poly's recommend stringing them 10% lower than desired. My view is this is too much, since the initial tension loss is likely to exceed 5%. I usually string my co-poly crosses a couple of lbs less than my mains. The first hour or so of hitting the stringbed will feel rather firm and crisp, but it settles in nicely after this.

-jrod

David123
02-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Thanks a lot jrod.. so would alu rough or proline II or cyberflash work well as the crosses?

jrod
02-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Thanks a lot jrod.. so would alu rough or proline II or cyberflash work well as the crosses?

I know ALU rough will die quickly, so it is not very economical. Proline II is pretty soft as I recall...I don't know about cyberflash or PL2 in terms of longevity, which is key to achieving decent economy in a gut hybrid.

Confusedaboutgear
02-03-2010, 06:23 PM
PRC/NRG 16... @ 58-57 i made the wrong choice by stringing my nrg lower.. so some of my balls go flying on me but ill try out 61 or 62 on my next restring. But overall i thought it was nice.

David123
02-03-2010, 09:56 PM
oh ok i am actaully thinking of trying klip legend natural gut first time using natural gut.. hmm now to pick a good hybrid for it in terms of playability.

tennis005
02-03-2010, 10:32 PM
What do you guys think of black code mains and NXT crosses?