PDA

View Full Version : Telecom Italia Masters: Wild Card...

Zeta
04-28-2005, 02:14 AM
Unbelievable.

The WC for Rome have just been assigned:

- POTITO STARACE (62)
- DAVIDE SANGUINETTI (81)
- ALESSIO DI MAURO (100)
- ANDREAS SEPPI (123)

No WC to Ferrero and Gasquet!
What an incredible choice...

federer_nadal
04-28-2005, 02:30 AM
2 awesome claycourters dropped for 3 people i have never heard of and one i only have heard of. Maybe those 2 are playin somewhere else

aj_m2009
04-28-2005, 02:35 AM
I thought Gasquet was already accepted.

According to his website it is his next tourney:http://www.richardgasquet.net/V3/index.php?newlang=english.

rhubarb
04-28-2005, 02:36 AM
Don't they always chose Italians for wc in Rome? And the same for the Germans in Hamburg?

Still, Ferrero being left out is slightly surprising, since he's a former winner of the tournament and would be a considerable crowd draw. Perhaps he's tired and decided not to request a wc, or withdrew a request.

Zeta
04-28-2005, 02:46 AM
(28-03-2005 entry list)

Agassi Andre
Ancic Mario
Andreev Igor
Beck Karol
Berdych Tomas
Canas Guillermo
Chela Juan Ignacio
Coria Guillermo
Davydenko Nikolay
El Aynaoui Younes
Federer Roger
Ferrer David
Gaudio Gaston
Gonzalez Fernando
Grosjean Sebastien
Haas Tommy
Henman Tim
Horna Luis
Hrbaty Dominik
Johansson Joachim
Kiefer Nicolas
Kuerten Gustavo
Ljubicic Ivan
Llodra Michael
Lopez Feliciano
Massu Nicolas
Mayer Florian
Mello Ricardo
Melzer Jurgen
Mirnyi Max
Moya Carlos
Nabaldian David
Nadal Rafael
Novak Jiri
Pavel Andrei
Robredo Tommy
Rochus Olivier
Roddick Andy
Rusedski Greg
Safin Marat
Santoro Fabrice
Saulnier Cyril
Schuettler Rainer
Soderling Robin
Spadea Vincent
Srichaphan Paradorn
Stepanek Radek
Verdasco Fernardo
Volandri Filippo
Youzhny Mikhail
Zabaleta Mariano

Zeta
04-28-2005, 02:47 AM
Strange, I remember Zabaleta was out for injuries...

rhubarb
04-28-2005, 02:48 AM
Updates for the Rome entry list are available at SteveG http://www.************.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=667

Camilio Pascual
04-28-2005, 03:24 AM
Unbelievable.

- POTITO STARACE (62)
- ALESSIO DI MAURO (100)
- ANDREAS SEPPI (123)

What makes it unbelievable? Is one of the four non-Italian?

verdasco67
04-28-2005, 04:03 AM
ferrero not playing rome?

Zeta
04-28-2005, 05:31 AM
What makes it unbelievable? Is one of the four non-Italian?

They're all italian: but with Gasquet defeating Federer, and Ferrero coming back, 4 WC to italian players is simply RIDICOLOUS.

Camilio Pascual
04-28-2005, 06:39 AM
Zeta - Not if you understand the purposes and historical uses of wild cards.
It wouldn't make sense at all to give them to Gasquet and Ferrero, unless it would boost earnings for the Italian radio/TV media or the tourney itself. And even doing that might be short sighted. To fail to give these wild cards to the Italian players could impair their national tennis program by taking away a major motivation to compete.
None of these 6 players did what was required to get in the main draw, so it makes perfect sense to give the wild cards to Italians competing in Italy.

dAgEnIuS
04-28-2005, 06:42 AM
those damn italians...

norcal
04-28-2005, 07:00 AM
Zeta - Not if you understand the purposes and historical uses of wild cards.
It wouldn't make sense at all to give them to Gasquet and Ferrero, unless it would boost earnings for the Italian radio/TV media or the tourney itself. And even doing that might be short sighted. To fail to give these wild cards to the Italian players could impair their national tennis program by taking away a major motivation to compete.
None of these 6 players did what was required to get in the main draw, so it makes perfect sense to give the wild cards to Italians competing in Italy. what he said.

Zeta
04-28-2005, 08:04 AM
First of all: here in Italy the tennis is ONLY on pay tv. Pay tv is not common as in USA. It's expensive and requires Satellite Reicever. So, there is a very little audience for tennis on TV.

For the national tennis program: ok, I understand. But if the tournament loose appeal, you don't keep the media attention, you don't keep the attention of sponsors. And with the rumors about the regression of Rome Master Series to simple open...
If we loose an important Master Series event, what about the consequences for the tennis?

PS: For the tennis in Italy, of course...

TwistServe
04-28-2005, 08:06 AM
Unbelievable.

- POTITO STARACE (62)
- ALESSIO DI MAURO (100)
- ANDREAS SEPPI (123)

This is absolutely normal to me.. Look at the WC's they give in U.S. tournaments.. all americans lol

Camilio Pascual
04-28-2005, 09:33 AM
And with the rumors about the regression of Rome Master Series to simple open...

If we loose an important Master Series event, what about the consequences for the tennis?

Your English is very good, so I am not making fun, but I didn't quite understand the 1st sentence in the above quote.

I would hate to see you guys lose a Masters Series Event, are you really in trouble, I thought tennis was pretty healthy in Italy?

rhubarb
04-28-2005, 09:54 AM
I would have thought Hamburg was in more serious trouble than Rome.

Dedans Penthouse
04-28-2005, 09:57 AM
First of all: here in Italy the tennis is ONLY on pay tv. Pay tv is not common as in USA. It's expensive and requires Satellite Reicever. So, there is a very little audience for tennis on TV.

For the national tennis program: ok, I understand. But if the tournament loose appeal, you don't keep the media attention, you don't keep the attention of sponsors. And with the rumors about the regression of Rome Master Series to simple open...

PS: For the tennis in Italy, of course...

It just got worse. They just announced Nadal's withdrawal; he's being replaced by some Italian pro named Bungallo Billimoso.

Zeta
04-28-2005, 10:05 AM
Yes, tennis is healty in Italy.

But at the end of last year, some rumors began to spread: there's a lot of event in Master Series Calendar, and someone says that some tournament should be reconsidered. Montecarlo, Rome and Hamburg are very near the French Open: rarely a top10 plays in every 3... Rome appeared to be the weaker of 3.
This year, luckily nothing has changed (until now).

IMHO a good tournament of Master Series must create as show as possible: rookie sensation and big coming back, are the classic thing that attract public attention.
Giving WC as prize for playing in Davis Cup (not even the World Group, but only in Euro-African Division!!), is not way the way to promote tennis.

Let me explain: I do appreciate the idea of giving WC to very young players (like Fabio Fognini, a junior who received WC for qualifying draw), giving them a chance in a great tournamet - think about Gasquet at Motecarlo some years ago! I do not appreciate the sacrifice of the show only in order to make happy local players.

I'm going to watch Rome Master Series next week: I pay the ticket, I'd like to see good tennis.

Zeta
04-28-2005, 10:14 AM
Last news: thanks to the withdrawal of Calleri, Baghdatis e Mantilla, today Gasquet has reached the qualifying draw.

rhubarb
04-28-2005, 10:22 AM
Good that Gasquet finally made it - pity that Baghdatis is out though, I was looking forward to seeing him.

dAgEnIuS
04-28-2005, 08:49 PM
what about ferrero??
is he going to be in the qualifying draw??
these master series are crucial for ferrero to raise his rankings up before the French Open...

Zeta
04-28-2005, 10:06 PM
I believe Ferrero WILL NOT BE in draw... nor qualifying, nor main.

SydW
04-28-2005, 10:17 PM
Good for Nadal. He had played so much lately, this break will do good for him going to RG.

rhubarb
04-29-2005, 12:24 AM
Er, I don't think Nadal will be missing....

Zeta
04-29-2005, 12:41 AM
Nadal still is in main draw.

SydW
04-29-2005, 12:51 AM
I thought Dedans said he withdrew.

rhubarb
04-29-2005, 12:59 AM
I think it was sarcasm, judging by the name of his replacement ;)

SydW
04-29-2005, 01:09 AM
I should have finished reading the every sentence lol I was actually happy for Nadal, I think he needs a break, he had played way too much lately.

aj_m2009
04-29-2005, 02:35 AM
Well he did take a break this week, I guess that is enough for him.

Marius_Hancu
04-29-2005, 02:54 AM
guess this is why they are called WILDcards:-)

but, indeed, this is to favor the local players, in all tourneys.

Zeta
04-29-2005, 02:52 PM
http://www.telecomitaliamasters.it/public/QM.pdf

Gasquet seeded first in Qualifying draw...

Vlad
04-29-2005, 03:14 PM
guess this is why they are called WILDcards:-)

but, indeed, this is to favor the local players, in all tourneys.

usually, it is the case but not always.. I remember when in 2004, Safin and Haas could not make it to the main draw of Indian Wells and Miami and both tournaments were kind enough to give them Wild cards to play in the main draw.. I would think that there are a lot of americans begging for a wild card but they gave it to the biggest crowd drawers.. and I think they were right..