PDA

View Full Version : cross for crisp setup

Frank BD
01-31-2010, 07:40 PM
when i was using a pdr+ cortex i found i didn't like 17g strings, narrowing my gauge choices to 16 and 16L. however...

with the becker 11 se i've switched to, i'm finding that thinner, crisper playing strings suit the frame better. i'm looking for ideas for crosses, bearing in mind, i suppose, that i'm a string breaker.

my hope is to find a synthetic gut (or possibly multi, but probably not) cross that will keep the string job crisp, but won't drastically increase breakage. which is to say, if i'm in the 10-14 hour range for breakage i'd like it to not drop down to 6 hours. if you think that a 16g or even 15g crosses won't have too much bearing on overall crispness, i'm interested in that opinion as well.

thanks for any thoughts

Winners or Errors
01-31-2010, 08:07 PM
I've actually been tossing the idea of a thicker cross, say 15L or 16 gauge, to stiffen up the string-bed and make it "crisper", while keeping the 17 gauge strings in the mains. Honestly, thinking of something like Gosen OG Sheep 16 which comes in a cheap reel.

Thicker strings have a firmer feel. They also don't saw through main strings as quickly if you are a string breaker like me.

Just a thought. I have yet to initiate the experiment.

ClubHoUno
01-31-2010, 08:28 PM
I've actually been tossing the idea of a thicker cross, say 15L or 16 gauge, to stiffen up the string-bed and make it "crisper", while keeping the 17 gauge strings in the mains. Honestly, thinking of something like Gosen OG Sheep 16 which comes in a cheap reel.

Thicker strings have a firmer feel. They also don't saw through main strings as quickly if you are a string breaker like me.

Just a thought. I have yet to initiate the experiment.

You think like I do :)

Go thicker in the cross for added control and durablity.
A combination of a thinner main and a thicker cross string is the solution a lot of players could be looking for, they just don't know it :twisted:

Tour90
01-31-2010, 09:27 PM
i second the og sheep. it's crisp and hits well. i just switched my setup from a full bed of og sheep to cyberflash/sweet. if i were to go back it would be og sheep