PDA

View Full Version : RD7 - 'The bi-polar bear' of racquets!?

Ross K
02-01-2010, 03:48 AM
Just thought it would be nice to have a thread where ppl familiar with the DR7 might share a few opinions, experiences, etc.

For me, I have been on a long period of testing out frames which fulfill a certain criteria (soft & flexy feel, lowish stiffness RA, 93" - 98" head size, very stable & solid, highish SW, decent static weight, and hits a very heavy b-line groundie and serves bombs... don't ask for much, do I? :roll: )

Although I ultimately settled on a different frame, I was highly impressed - as well as slightly puzzled - by the RD7, which I eventually got my hands on for the very 1st time just after Christmas. It was unbelievably solid and stable (like hitting with a frame made of kryptonite!), felt wonderfully buttery and lush (like hitting with a big fluffy pillow!), and most surprising for me - it served absolute bombs (I was serving big, big mph, as well as getting tremendous placement and spin - and ordinarily I'm not the fastest nor generally best server around). On the 'cons' side of things, I found it more than a bit unpredictable and difficult to fathom (on occasions I was just left shaking my head as a simple rally ball fh blasted 5 feet over the b-line, or a easy slice bh went diving into the net.) Worst of all for me though, was anything sent short and low over the net where I had to run on to it, was a point to my opponent. So, I'm afraid I found it a bit log-like in this respect.

Anyhow, not least because of the feel and serve bombing capabilities, I do intend to have a little noodle round with this in the near future. But in the meantime, if any of you might care to share some thoughts on this somewhat unique frame, that would be cool.:cool:

First of all however, does anyone have the stats for this racquet? I'm very keen to know what they are!

Secondly, why does it serve so well?! (Or is it just me who thinks this?)

R.

PLEASE SHARE ANY AND ALL THOUGHTS ON THIS, AHEM, 'SPECIAL' ROD... I THINK SOMEONE ONCE DESCRIBED IT AS PLAYING LIKE A 'BI-POLAR BEAR!... LOL!

goldenyama
02-01-2010, 04:23 AM
Hi Ross,

Here is a brief thread about my RD-7:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=247667

Mine is an USL2 grip and it was about 343g strung with overgrip if I remember rightly which is a tad lighter than the average RD-7.

I am an OS boy so I don't use the RD-7 much but I also have it's big bro the RD-27 and I feel exactly the same way about that as you do about the RD-7!!! When I'm feeling it I can play some amazing angles with this thing and hit winners off anything - but there are also times when I can't keep it between the lines! The last time I used it I played 3 sets against a regular opponent who had never taken a set off me(he had come close) - I played out of my mind in the first two sets dropping 3 games I think - then it all went to pieces and the ball started hitting the back fence and I lost 6-4 in the last set! My mate said that the first two sets were the best he'd ever seen me play, and the third was the worst - that sums up my experience with this frame - s**t or bust.

I hope you persevere with your RD-7 - it feels so great and at least you'll never be bored!!

pshulam
02-01-2010, 04:38 AM
I have never hit with the RD-7. I did hit with a RD-22 for a while. It was great for ground strokes - stable and solid but also gentle to my arms.

The RD-7, as well as the RD-22, was considered one of the greatest - introduced in 1982 and made famous by Navratilova.
Spec:
static weight: 358g/12.63 oz
Flex: 59
Swing Weight: 354

jorel
02-01-2010, 05:50 AM
Just thought it would be nice to have a thread where ppl familiar with the DR7 might share a few opinions, experiences, etc.

For me, I have been on a long period of testing out frames which fulfill a certain criteria (soft & flexy feel, lowish stiffness RA, 93" - 98" head size, very stable & solid, highish SW, decent static weight, and hits a very heavy b-line groundie and serves bombs... don't ask for much, do I? :roll: )

Although I ultimately settled on a different frame, I was highly impressed - as well as slightly puzzled - by the RD7, which I eventually got my hands on for the very 1st time just after Christmas. It was unbelievably solid and stable (like hitting with a frame made of kryptonite!), felt wonderfully buttery and lush (like hitting with a big fluffy pillow!), and most surprising for me - it served absolute bombs (I was serving big, big mph, as well as getting tremendous placement and spin - and ordinarily I'm not the fastest nor generally best server around). On the 'cons' side of things, I found it more than a bit unpredictable and difficult to fathom (on occasions I was just left shaking my head as a simple rally ball fh blasted 5 feet over the b-line, or a easy slice bh went diving into the net.) Worst of all for me though, was anything sent short and low over the net where I had to run on to it, was a point to my opponent. So, I'm afraid I found it a bit log-like in this respect.

Anyhow, not least because of the feel and serve bombing capabilities, I do intend to have a little noodle round with this in the near future. But in the meantime, if any of you might care to share some thoughts on this somewhat unique frame, that would be cool.:cool:

First of all however, does anyone have the stats for this racquet? I'm very keen to know what they are!

Secondly, why does it serve so well?! (Or is it just me who thinks this?)

R.

PLEASE SHARE ANY AND ALL THOUGHTS ON THIS, AHEM, 'SPECIAL' ROD... I THINK SOMEONE ONCE DESCRIBED IT AS PLAYING LIKE A 'BI-POLAR BEAR!... LOL!
got a chance to hit with it a few months back and i can see why its so popular

Ross K
02-01-2010, 07:14 AM
I have never hit with the RD-7. I did hit with a RD-22 for a while. It was great for ground strokes - stable and solid but also gentle to my arms.

The RD-7, as well as the RD-22, was considered one of the greatest - introduced in 1982 and made famous by Navratilova.
Spec:

Ahhh... okay... 354 SW?... now I see why I found it hard for reaction shots, wrist flicks and coming in on low scoopers!!! :wink: ... I dare say that might also have something to do with the booming serve as well (though on serve it didn't feel cumbersome to swing for me)?

R.

Ross K
02-01-2010, 07:23 AM
goldenyama,

I picked up an RD-7 in a junk shop in Japan last week for 1000yen ($10). Strung it up with a multi/poly hybrid and hit with it for the first time this week and I was REALLY impressed.

The feel is amazing...'poppy' and crisp yet solid and comfortable. Spin production from the open pattern was huge, yet I found the directional control to be exceptional too. Did I mention the feel? The RD-7 is like lightning in a bottle - electrifying yet controllable

I usually play with very flexy frames due to my TE and the RD-7 definately was a bit firmer than I am used to yet I felt no discomfort after a 2 hour session. I wasn't serving or hitting many overheads though and those are the shots that can really hurt for me - next time I will give it a try for a set or two.

Overall I think this is the best 95 I have ever hit with, and certainly better than any modern midplus I have tried. A classic.

Re spin, feel, control - I completely agree!

Re it being maybe the best 95 you've ever hit with... wow, high praise indeed!

R.

Virginia
02-01-2010, 10:49 AM

Spec:
Don't you mean the R-7 and R-22?

pshulam
02-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Don't you mean the R-7 and R-22?

Yes, Rexking R7 & R22. Thanks for the correction.

Virginia
02-02-2010, 01:14 AM
The RX 32 is also a great racquet (some say even better than the R-22) and it (along with the RX 28) has a standard shaped head.

goldenyama
02-02-2010, 03:45 AM
The RX 32 is also a great racquet (some say even better than the R-22) and it (along with the RX 28) has a standard shaped head.

Hey guys, the OP is asking about the RD-7, not the older Rexking frames.

I'm not gettin' at ya, I have much love and respect for your guys posts! Just trying to keep the thread on topic.

Ross, many Yonex frames including the RD-7 come in a wide variety of weights. If you like your RD-7 but find it to be a bit of a 'log' you may like the USL version which is common in Japan, weighing in at around 12oz strung. Let me know if you would like me to help you find one.

Ross K
02-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Hey guys, the OP is asking about the RD-7, not the older Rexking frames.

I'm not gettin' at ya, I have much love and respect for your guys posts! Just trying to keep the thread on topic.

Ross, many Yonex frames including the RD-7 come in a wide variety of weights. If you like your RD-7 but find it to be a bit of a 'log' you may like the USL version which is common in Japan, weighing in at around 12oz strung. Let me know if you would like me to help you find one.

Interesting... I need to hit with it more to get a better idea, but thanks, I'll keep that in mind... Plus also, I could always go the route of getting a smaller grip size than the one I presently use?

R.

WOULD LOVE TO HEAR MORE VIEWS/OPINIONS ON THE THE RD7 FROM PPL!!!

pelusi
02-07-2010, 11:57 PM
Specs anybody on Yonex RD-7

ericsson
02-08-2010, 12:20 AM

Specs of my strung RD7:

Headsize: 95 sq.
Weight: 346 grams strung.
Balance: 32.6 mm
Flex: 54
Pattern: 16x19
Beam: 20-22 mm

pelusi
02-08-2010, 02:57 AM
ericsson,what grip???

ericsson
02-08-2010, 03:23 AM
ericsson,what grip???

I think it's a 4 3/8

pelusi
02-15-2010, 11:17 PM
Ross K,any impression of RD-7?

pelusi
02-24-2010, 11:28 PM
I'm testing a RD-7 in grip size 4 3/8 with grams 360 strung,overgrip and Pete Sampras Vibration Dampener.
The racket is excellent with great power and control.The topspin and flat serve is very fast and easily.
In short, the absence of more try on a great racket

Bud
02-25-2010, 04:47 PM

Specs of my strung RD7:

Headsize: 95 sq.
Weight: 346 grams strung.
Balance: 32.6 mm
Flex: 54
Pattern: 16x19
Beam: 20-22 mm

Isn't the RD-7 longer than 27" as well? I recall using this racquet and the SW felt very high.

**edit**

TW Racquet Finder info on the RD-7

Head Size: 95 sq. in. /613 sq. cm.
Length: 27.00 inches / 68.58 cm
Strung Weight: 12.30 oz / 349 g
Balance: 5pts HL
Swing Weight: 342
Beam Width: 21.0 mm Tip/22.0 mm Shaft
Composition: 100% Graphite
Power Level: Low-Medium
Stiffness: 54
String Pattern: 16 Mains/19 Crosses
Main Skip: 8T, 8H
String Tension: 50-65

http://img.tennis-warehouse.com/new_thumb/RD7-thumb.jpg

Ross K
05-08-2010, 12:33 AM
Okay guys. Consider this thread reopened!...:)

Have been hitting with the RD7 this week, and what is uppermost in my thoughts right now concerns what goldenyama referred to previously, namely info on the lighter versions or USL/UL (not sure what they're called exactly), as well as the different grip sizes as apparently the weighting is notably different (ie, easier to swing as you go down in grip size.)

Any info from anyone on these lighter USL versions and the grip sizes situation would be greatfully received.

To my way of thinking, and in terms of heft, something just a bit less than my grip 3 (43/8) would maybe really work for me... if this makes any sense - I'd love the b-line and serve awesome performance allied to something like the C10 Pro's maneauverability (I mention this as I've also hit with this a bit and like it very much too and they are very similar in flex)...

Many thanks,

R.