PDA

View Full Version : Question about racquet specs

Ace
04-28-2005, 05:20 AM
I normally play with a Babolat Pure Control Team Standard. Today my friend let me borrow his Wilson Pro Staff 6.1 Classic.

To me it felt like it was MUCH stiffer and MUCH more powerful than my Babolat. I liked it a lot. However, when I compare the specs, it seems to me that the Babolat would be more powerful. It is only slightly more flexible (70 vs. 72), head heavier (7 pts. vs. 11 pts). The swingweights listed on the TW website are about the same (~326).
Was it only the fact that the Pro Staff was quite a bit heavier that gives it more power, or was it all in my head that it had more power?

What gives?

Lambsscroll
04-28-2005, 05:26 AM
Yep, the extra weight makes a big difference. BTW which racquet was 7 points head light?

Ace
04-28-2005, 05:44 AM
The Babolat is 7 pts head light, according to Tennis Warehouse. Still the Babolat seemed WAY more flexible compared to the Pro Staff, but the stiffness numbers are 70 vs. 72? I guess I don't know how to equate 1 "stiffness unit". Will there be a big difference when one racquet is 70 and one is 72?

sandro
04-28-2005, 05:46 AM
Woofer grommets on Bab make it feels less stiff. The weight is a big factor (if you can swing properly), also because one tends to hit flatter with heavier racquets. Or, at least, that's my experience...

Gaines Hillix
04-28-2005, 09:42 AM
The flex ratings are taken in such a way that the result is an average for the entire racquet. The frame rests on a support about midway down the frame and the butt end if held fast and then the racquet if pulled down at the tip about 1/2". The amount of force that it takes to do this is measure and that's what the RA or RDC rating is. But, racquets may not have consistent flex througout their length. Some are stiffer at the throat than the are at the head, for instance, so it can be deceiving when comparing two racquets like this, especially with the big weight difference involved. Having said all of that, the USRSA power index for these two frames is very close. The PS is close to an ounce heavier that the Bab frame, so if you are able to swing the PS just as fast that's where your extra power must be coming from.