PDA

View Full Version : Your top 5 Healthy "Tennis" Foods/drinks

TahoeTennis
02-01-2010, 10:04 AM
I know Tennis Magazine talked about:

1. Chocolate Milk
2. Cherry Juice

but what are your other secret/tennis foods that you can recommend before/during a match/practice.

Mine:

3. Bananas
4. Turkey Swiss sandwhich with Spicy Mustard and Green New Mexico Chile
5. Orange/Carrot Juice 100% 50 50 split

mary fierce
02-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Do you add the "Chile" so you can rattle your opponent with a long bathroom break?

Dgpsx7
02-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Do you add the "Chile" so you can rattle your opponent with a long bathroom break?

that's pretty funny:)

r2473
02-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Rocky Mountain Oysters.

Uncooked.

chess9
02-02-2010, 01:33 PM
Steel cut oats;
Bananas;
Blueberries;
Kale;
Spinach;
Whey protein;
Broccoli;
Green tea;
Apples;
9 Grain Bread;
Quinoa;
Flax Seed;
Almonds;

Just a starter kit.....

-Robert

chess9
02-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Chili is the accepted spelling, btw, not that I want a job as the internet spelling editor this month. ;)

-Robert

r2473
02-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Try to smoke a pack or two a day........just be sure your brand is Winston ;-)

http://smokeaway.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/tennis_smoking.jpg

http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/2/17/633705100413003160-smoking.jpg

TahoeTennis
02-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Chili is the accepted spelling, btw, not that I want a job as the internet spelling editor this month. ;)

-Robert

Not in New Mexico. Chile is much different than Chile :)

TahoeTennis
02-02-2010, 02:36 PM
than Chili I mean.

chess9
02-02-2010, 03:54 PM
than Chili I mean.

Alrighty then!

-Robert

yemenmocha
02-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Ultra Fuel before and during match. Whoa!

Zachol82
02-02-2010, 08:41 PM
I would put don't get laid the night before a match on the list. For some reason it does tire me out :[

02-03-2010, 04:16 AM
protein powder
peanut butter
figs/dates
oatmeal
bananas
turkey
almonds
chili

chizzle
02-03-2010, 11:22 AM
I know Tennis Magazine talked about:

1. Chocolate Milk
2. Cherry Juice

but what are your other secret/tennis foods that you can recommend before/during a match/practice.

Mine:

3. Bananas
4. Turkey Swiss sandwhich with Spicy Mustard and Green New Mexico Chile
5. Orange/Carrot Juice 100% 50 50 split

Good stuff. I have to take Beano when I eat chili.! Word.

On a serious note, after I play a long match on a hot day, a Strawberry Banana Vivanno (Smoothie) from Starbizzies is on the money for recovery. It has protein, milk (calcium), vitamins (from milk/strawberries) and potassium (of course).

chizzle
02-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Good stuff. I have to take Beano when I eat chili.! Word.

On a serious note, after I play a long match on a hot day, a Strawberry Banana Vivanno (Smoothie) from Starbizzies is on the money for recovery. It has protein, milk (calcium), vitamins (from milk/strawberries) and potassium (of course).

(starbucks for my slower brethren)

BMC9670
02-04-2010, 09:41 AM
a Strawberry Banana Vivanno (Smoothie) from Starbizzies is on the money for recovery. It has protein, milk (calcium), vitamins (from milk/strawberries) and potassium (of course).

Ditto. I make my own:

1 cup fresh strawberries
2 bananas
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup yogurt
30 second in blender

Add oats or granola over it for pre-match carbs or drink with a hand full of almonds for post-match recovery.

rk_sports
02-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Before play-
PB&J Sandwich or
Banana / Semi-dried Dates

After play-
Protein drink (Vega)
..with Kefir (yogurt), berries, other fruits, Aloe Vera (TJ)

ringer
02-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Cherry Juice is my new secret weapon - don't know why but it does help with the inflammation in my achilles' and knees.

Lots of times I'll eat a peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat if I'm playing around meal time and don't want to eat before the match.

As for after playing I love a Chicken Marinara footlong on whole wheat from Subway.

LafayetteHitter
02-11-2010, 07:15 PM
You know it's funny. Recently during a tournament here all the 3.0 and 3.5 guys were eating healthy and fueling up with sports supplements. Meanwhile I walk over to where some of the open division guys were sitting and three were eating.
1 guy had pizza from Pizza hut, another had Whataburger and another had a Double whopper with fries and a huge coke! This was right before their matches.

Vyse
02-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Sometimes when I eat peanut butter before I run, I get like heartburn and I can feel it in my stomach. Never had that problem playing tennis but I am weary of anything with too much fat in it before activity. I stick with fruit and whey before hand or something not too heavy.

Bjorn
02-12-2010, 03:53 AM
Try to smoke a pack or two a day........just be sure your brand is Winston ;-)

http://www.yousaytoo.com/gallery_image/pic2/23827/smock.jpg

Back on topic and while not quite a food, creatine is almost a necessity if you're an endurance athlete these days.

Rorsach
02-12-2010, 04:56 AM
Kale;
Whey protein;
Broccoli;

I won't even have to run around the court, i'll be able to hover around, using my farts as propulsion.

jrod
02-12-2010, 05:48 AM
Steel cut oats;

-Robert

Steel cut eh? As opposed to what, porcelain?

Seriously, can't liberal arts majors find a better way to be productive in today's society?

Bigtime
02-12-2010, 07:00 AM
I have always liked to have a little cottage cheese w/just a dash of Johnny's Seasoning Salt about 30-45 mins before a match. It is bland enough to avoid heartburn/upset and the protein helps for endurance during the last 2-3 hours of the match.

Vyse
02-12-2010, 08:00 AM
Steel cut eh? As opposed to what, porcelain?

Seriously, can't liberal arts majors find a better way to be productive in today's society?

What are you talking about? Steel cut oats are less processed than rolled or quick oats thus making them better for you. Have you never heard of this?

Power Player
02-12-2010, 08:04 AM
creatine is almost a necessity if you're an endurance athlete these days.

Why do you say this, is it the water retention? Creatine made me strong real fast, but also bulked me up. I like to stay muscular, but lean so I can move quickly around the court.

Also, creatine is something you cycle, not take all year long.

Blade0324
02-12-2010, 10:37 AM
qdoba naked burrito or toyko joes chicken bowl before a match.

jrod
02-12-2010, 03:48 PM
What are you talking about? Steel cut oats are less processed than rolled or quick oats thus making them better for you. Have you never heard of this?

Is all sarcasm is completely lost on you?

I suggest you visit http://www.getaclue.com/ and pay special attention to the fine print at the top of the page in BOLD...

Diablo Rojo
02-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Cherry Juice is my new secret weapon - don't know why but it does help with the inflammation in my achilles' and knees.

Cherry juice is recommended by doctors for people that suffer from gout. Gout is caused by the build up of excess uric acid crystals that tend to congregate in joints, especially the lower joints in the toes, knees and ankles.

Maybe, this is the cause for joint relief for athletes?

Greek Goliath
02-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Cherry Juice, Chocolate Milk, and Whey Protein are my drinks!

I eat fifteen grain sandwiches with grape jam, whole wheat pasta, and lots of rice.

Vyse
02-12-2010, 06:48 PM
Is all sarcasm is completely lost on you?

I suggest you visit http://www.getaclue.com/ and pay special attention to the fine print at the top of the page in BOLD...

Haha, I still don't get it. I guess I really should visit that website. I could see some sarcasm, but not like 100% sure on it. Aw, well, my bad. Oats are amazing though.

cmb
02-12-2010, 06:57 PM
I like to swig a few scoops of Hemo-rage before and if its a long match I take another scoop halfway through the match

charliefedererer
02-13-2010, 07:13 AM
Steel cut oats;
Bananas;
Blueberries;
Kale;
Spinach;
Whey protein;
Broccoli;
Green tea;
Apples;
9 Grain Bread;
Quinoa;
Flax Seed;
Almonds;

Just a starter kit.....

-Robert

As always, pearls of wisdom.

You might like this quote:
"An Englishman and a Scotsman were discussing oats. The Englishman, with his nose in the air said "In England we feed oats to our horses, and in Scotland you feed oats to your men...", to which the Scotsman replied "...that's why in England you have such fine horses and in Scotland we have such fine men!" http://www.formerfatguy.com/articles/oatmeal/oats.asp

Also, I've got to try that quinoa.

And I love the old fashioned, not quite so sweet, red grapes as an anti-oxident. I think it's clever the way red wine is being touted as a "health food" when the best part of the grape is the skins, and only a little of the skins makes it into wine.

And no milk on your list? No respect. Like Rodney's wife, milk just gets no respect.

Tyrus
02-13-2010, 07:52 AM
Pre-match its anything goes since i usually play late evenings (after 7pm).

During the match, water and bananas are the best.

Post match, well i just found a Nando's (Portuguese grilled chicken) right next to the train station by my club, needless to say a chicken pita sandwich w/ some sweet potato mash does it perfectly.

fuggywater
02-16-2010, 09:28 AM
Opponents put white powder in their water, said it helped with recovery. Is that possibly "whey" or soy protein powder? Does anybody else take that?