PDA

View Full Version : tennis

monkeyisland90
02-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Ok my saga continues with strings and tension. I posted before that I use a western grip and need more power due to due much spin and landing short. So i lowered my tension to 35lbs (yes that's correct) to get a trampoline effect and I did get lot of power and shots hitting deep but after 20-30 minutes it just seems dead. I have observed that this happens only when weather is cold because I know that as soon as the strings get a tighter feel as i keep playing that's when i know my shots start losing trampoline effect... Then I bring my racquet inside home and the room temperature gets the string to the original state of being soft and lubed up and end up hitting again good... but same thing happens again... So when I play in summer strings obviously will be softer so performance is better...... So my question is this.. I use gamma synthetic gut and wondering is there any strings out there that will be soft and lubed despite cold weather? Or are all strings prone to the cold weather and get stiffer feel...

Sounds like a wacky idea but any home remedy to soften up the strings like some oil rubbed onto it... i'm thinking if i did that and try hitting the ball it will be so slippery that it will hit the net.. :)

Tar Heel Tennis
02-01-2010, 01:32 PM
The thinner the gauge, the livelier your strings will feel in cold weather. A 35 lb tension will also benefit you tremendously. If you're playing in 30 degree or colder weather, though, it's not really going to matter too much.

monkeyisland90
02-01-2010, 01:45 PM
ok so i use 15gauge.. so that's pretty thick... so your saying that higher gauge has more softer feel? im assuming though that the string will still get tighter as colder weather (well 50 degrees i play in usually isn't that cold).. it's just odd that i string it really low and works great then string gets bit tighter due to weather or some other reason and that catapult effect is gone and need to muscle the shots sometimes..... probally try putting oil on strings to soften it up.. not too much though kind of crazy idea but want to try it out.

Tar Heel Tennis
02-01-2010, 01:54 PM
If you have more than one frame, you could put a thinner gauge string in one, and use it primarily for cold weather tennis. I personally would use a 17 or 18 gauge string.

Unless you are using an uncoated natural gut string, I really wouldn't put any oil on your string. But it's your racket and strings, if you want to do so, enjoy!

monkeyisland90
02-01-2010, 01:56 PM
but do u think putting oil on strings makes sense to soften it up... im sure no one does it but i like to try and experiment... like oil softens up leather etc... and strings usually feel lubey to begin with.. and i think cold weather dries that lubeness and gets it tighter.

Tar Heel Tennis
02-01-2010, 02:00 PM
i think putting oil on any string that is not uncoated natural gut is a huge gamble. but if you like to experiment, give it a shot. who knows, it might be the secret weapon that enables you to play better!

good luck