PDA

View Full Version : How cold can natural gut get without snapping?

Bashi
02-01-2010, 02:57 PM
I'm thinking about trying out VS 17 in a hybrid, but in the next couple months I'm going to be playing outside 90% of the time and it will probably be 30-40 degrees at times. Plus I don't have an insulated bag. Will this be a waste of money or will it last?

JavierLW
02-01-2010, 03:04 PM
I'm thinking about trying out VS 17 in a hybrid, but in the next couple months I'm going to be playing outside 90% of the time and it will probably be 30-40 degrees at times. Plus I don't have an insulated bag. Will this be a waste of money or will it last?

Ive played in 37 degrees with 40 mph wind and they didnt snap for me, I was able to play with the string job for months afterwards.

I think if it's like 4 degrees, that would be more of an issue, but I doubt it would 'snap', it just may lose a lot of tension. It's not made of water or anything, it probably doesnt freeze at 32F.....

It probably wont respond the same way though if you're using it when it's that cold, but either will the balls, your racquet, you, etc....

parasailing
02-01-2010, 04:10 PM
This would also assume you are playing with strings that are not frayed too bad. I had gut snap in my bag when it was around 40s outside.

Hokiez
02-01-2010, 06:02 PM
I played when it was 19F outside (yes, I was playing outside), didn't snap on me with a poly main.

Bashi
02-01-2010, 06:50 PM
thanks everyone. also, can anyone recommend/describe the difference between 1) gut mains and poly crosses vs 2) poly mains and gut crosses?

Green374
02-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Ive played in 37 degrees with 40 mph wind and they didnt snap for me, I was able to play with the string job for months afterwards.

I think if it's like 4 degrees, that would be more of an issue, but I doubt it would 'snap', it just may lose a lot of tension. It's not made of water or anything, it probably doesnt freeze at 32F.....

It probably wont respond the same way though if you're using it when it's that cold, but either will the balls, your racquet, you, etc....

Wow 4 degrees is really cold!:shock::shock::shock: At least, California doesn't get that cold!

Tennissee
02-01-2010, 07:06 PM
I think it has a lot to do with the tension the gut string was strung at. If it was strung at high tension, near recommended upper bound, cold weather, which shrinks the string and, hence, further elevates the tension, would be more likely to snap the string. If you had it strung at relatively low tension, temperature would be less of a problem.

Think it this way, if there were no tension (unstrung string), it would not snap even at -40 F or C.

drewski711
02-01-2010, 07:46 PM
I've played with gut all winter down to about 35 degrees and haven't had a problem. I think almost any string is going to be a bit more brittle as it gets colder but I'm not 100% sure

coloskier
02-01-2010, 09:22 PM
A long time ago I had three rackets strung with VS Gut snap in 20 degree cold when I forgot to bring them inside from my vehicle. An expensive lesson.

lolitsanasian
02-01-2010, 09:31 PM
thanks everyone. also, can anyone recommend/describe the difference between 1) gut mains and poly crosses vs 2) poly mains and gut crosses?

Gut main and poly cross gives you more playability, but poly main and gut cross gives you more durability from what I understand =P