PDA

View Full Version : USTA League "bump ups" grandfathered in

stats1
02-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Here in Connecticut we have some USTA leagues that run from September through May. We do this to keep the indoor club owners happy and prosperous as the clubs would surely be 100% full with season court players willing to pay several thousand dollars to play once a week for an hour and a half through this same time period. And, yes, we do pay $30 per person to play a USTA league match. We have to do this to secure court time for league play. One of the complications that this creates is that our leagues begin before year end ratings come out in December. We have "early start ratings" that reflect local league play and do not take into account any Championship play---Districts, Sectionals or Nationals. The co-ordinators at all levels here have decided that the way to address this situation is to allow players to be "grandfathered in" for the entire season including Championship play. Therefore, if you have an ESR of 3.5 and your year end rating comes back a 4.0 you are allowed to play the entire season as a 3.5 player even if you are "benchmarked." If you are unfortunate enough to be "bumped down" from 4.0 to 3.5 you get the double whammy and have to continue playing as a 4.0 through the entire season. This decision has had a huge impact on the standings here. The teams who have many "grandfathered" players have soared to the top of the standings while other teams with none or few "grandfathered" players have no chance to win a match or in some cases not even a position in a match. Any suggestions that this makes no sense and seems to be unfair to some of our local teams as well as teams that we may meet at any Championship competitions falls on deaf ears. Are there any other areas where this takes place? How do you handle this in your area? How do all of you feel about having to face "out of level" players/teams at the Championship level? Any response would be welcomed.

kendall22
02-02-2010, 08:02 AM
Well, no one knew ahead of time so many people would be part of the mass bump-up. If you were part of the team at the season's start when date assignments were made, seems fair for logistics that one would stay as part of the team.

The issue with CT it seems is that your season lasts so long. In New York City where different divisions start at different times, players bumped up have to play their new level for any division starting after that point.

Todd6060
02-02-2010, 08:07 AM
In Chicago we have Early Start Leagues and if you are bumped up you are allowed to finish the regular season but not eligible to compete in post-season.

SlapShot
02-02-2010, 08:10 AM
In Northern, we have ESR's for our fall/winter leagues as well. They originally instututed the rule that if you were bumped, you couldn't play in postseason play, but that has since been changed back for this season. In the future, though, if you are bumped, you cannot play in postseason play.

stats1
02-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Thank you for your response and, yes, it is a long season. The problem we have here is that many of the clubs are owned by the same group. They are reluctant to give the leagues time if they think they can book a season court. Now, we all know that the time they give us is time they likely would not book as season courts anyway or they would be booked. They just want us to think that they are doing us a favor. Fact of the matter is that we are doing them a favor by bringing in much revenue. Doesn't matter. Our hands are tied and our leagues run on their schedule.

stats1
02-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Thank you for your response. It's too bad that this is not a universal ruling of the USTA. I actually don't think it is fair that the other Sections have to meet out of level players at the Championship levels. Of course, we all know that it can happen for different reasons, but I don't think it should be encouraged by the USTA. I am trying to make a case for not allowing out of level players to take part in Championship play and if enough people respond and tell me that they cannot play after the local competition I will have something to take to the next captain's meeting. So, thank you for letting me know how you handle this.