PDA

View Full Version : nutrition tips

KRAK
02-01-2010, 06:04 PM
I am in my late 30's and I am just getting back into playing tournaments. I am in pretty good physical condition but I want to make sure that I am properly nourished before, during, between and after matches. Can some of you give me ideas on what foods and drinks are best. Keep in mind that I am playing single and doubles matches and will play multiple matches per day. Thanks in advance for any help.

SuperDuy
02-01-2010, 07:01 PM
bananas are good for energy.

Redbull is great if you are playing in above 100 degree weather. jk

Dont eat 2.5 hour before match big meals

yemenmocha
02-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Make sure you're hydrated before the match. Good carbs for the meal several hours prior to playtime.

ollinger
02-01-2010, 08:51 PM
You're 39 -- go easy on the "multiple matches per day."

Zachol82
02-01-2010, 09:05 PM
I am in my late 30's and I am just getting back into playing tournaments. I am in pretty good physical condition but I want to make sure that I am properly nourished before, during, between and after matches. Can some of you give me ideas on what foods and drinks are best. Keep in mind that I am playing single and doubles matches and will play multiple matches per day. Thanks in advance for any help.

The best thing to do is to change into a healthy diet. Sure, energy drinks, fruits, protein bars and such will help during a match, but your best bet is still a healthy diet.

Start eating healthy so your body gets all the nutritions it needs so you can stay in tip top form. As for what you should eat, I can't really recommend anything, besides fruits, vegetables, fish, and lean meat with high protein such as turkey. Also, don't forget the carbs, they are extremely good for active people. Maybe you can Google healthy diets and see what you find.

Soul
02-02-2010, 08:38 AM
What helped me was taking 2000mgs of fish oil and 6000ius of vitamin D3 a day. By my early 30s my knees would hurt greatly after hitting long periods of time. For the next day or two I would find myself hobbling around. So I could hit only a couple times a week. After I began taking fish oil & D3, all changed, my knees stopped having pain. I can hit as often and as long as I want pretty much now.

Vyse
02-02-2010, 08:49 AM
Couple hours before: slow digesting carbs like maybe oatmeal with a chicken breast. Just a quality meal that won't take forever to digest.

Half-hour before or close to match time: banana(fruit), maybe some whey.

During: banana, energy gel, bar. assuming you are playing for a couple hours. If just an hour match, you will probably be fine.

Afterward if pretty intense: Chocalete milk, maybe some whey. Milk is great post-workout. You get some protein, sugars for recovery.

Hour or two later: Maybe chicken or some lean protein, some healthy fats, and slow digesting carbs like whole grain pasta.

KRAK
02-02-2010, 01:15 PM
Great stuff, except for Ollinger:). Thanks for the input.

charliefedererer
02-02-2010, 11:07 PM
For the USTA take on pre match and post match nutrition, as well as hydration recommendations check out the following link: http://www.playerdevelopment.usta.com/content/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=114687&itype=7418
You can click on each topic listed to get some reasonable recommendations, as well as the reasons why they are being made.