PDA

View Full Version : LOW POWERED, soft multi?

edman9898
02-01-2010, 05:09 PM
Looking for a low powered, soft multi. Any recommendations? I am currently using Prince Synthetic Gut Multi and it is too powerful.

Nanshiki
02-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Soft multis are powerful. Get a syn gut or a soft poly.

edman9898
02-01-2010, 05:15 PM
OK then. What about a low powered syn gut that does not move much?

Kenny022593
02-01-2010, 05:24 PM
OK then. What about a low powered syn gut that does not move much?

Try out Forten Nylon 16g

Casco
02-01-2010, 05:28 PM
WeissCannon Explosive is very soft and not so explosive - great for muting the power (and shock) of powerful/stiff racquets.

mikeler
02-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Looking for a low powered, soft multi. Any recommendations? I am currently using Prince Synthetic Gut Multi and it is too powerful.

I'm assuming you are having arm problems. Are you stringing at low tension?

1st Seed
02-01-2010, 05:43 PM
I believe you need Head Rip Control.
,You can thank me later.
take care

Nanshiki
02-01-2010, 07:04 PM
That is the one exception... very soft but apparently has a lot of control, because of it's unique construction.

edman9898
02-01-2010, 07:16 PM
I am not having any arm issues, just looking to soften the racquet up a tad bit. I am having more problems with keeping the ball in, but I do not like polys that much. Funny you guys mentioned Head Rip Control, I was just looking at that string and thinking it might be a good option.

wrxtotoro
02-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Put a cheap multi like Alpha Gut 2000 in the main and a soft copoly in the cross...

ROCKinCourier
02-01-2010, 08:26 PM
Try a soft multi (or gut) in your mains and a poly in your crosses. Keep the tension relatively on the low range of the recommended tensions on whatever racquet you use. Give it a shot, I have a feeling you may just like it :)

I play with this setup myself. I basically was looking for the same thing as you in a string, and I found out that not one single string offered both. So, I ended up with putting a decent gut in my mains, strung a couple pounds above the minimum recommended. Then I put pro hurricane tour in the crosses, strung just below the middle of the recommended range. With this setup, I get the softness and the feel of the gut, but the PHT really brings down the liveliness of the gut. The reason I string it lower is there seems to be less tension loss. If I string higher -- it feels like it loses a lot more tension after break-in; when I string it lower -- it tends to lose less tension, so it feels better after break-in.

Anyways, I hope it make sense. I played around with this stuff for a while until I found something I feel 100% confident with. It may take some trial and error on a specific string, but I think going with a soft/feel string in the mains, and something a little more stiff in the crosses will be your best bet.

tlm
02-01-2010, 08:27 PM
I would suggest prince premier lt, very nice feel with good control.

JT_2eighty
02-01-2010, 09:35 PM
I believe you need Head Rip Control.
,You can thank me later.
take care

Either that or Head rip intellitour. Amazingly soft, pinpoint control, and super low zero power. Right behind gut in allround string

jasonbourne
02-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Pro Supex Maxim Touch is lower in power and softer than Head Rip Control, IMO. Last long too, especially compared to Alpha Gut 2K.

Keifers
02-02-2010, 12:13 AM
I strongly second Maxim Touch. In 17 ga, it's my favorite low-powered string -- comfortable yet has great feel, very linear in its response. drakulie has described the response as gut-like and I agree -- I think of it as gut-like, just with a smaller dynamic range. Very reasonably priced considering its performance and longevity.

Lambsscroll
02-02-2010, 03:00 AM
Babolat XCel Premium

mikeler
02-02-2010, 04:23 AM
I strongly second Maxim Touch. In 17 ga, it's my favorite low-powered string -- comfortable yet has great feel, very linear in its response. drakulie has described the response as gut-like and I agree -- I think of it as gut-like, just with a smaller dynamic range. Very reasonably priced considering its performance and longevity.

I'm a string breaker, so I've never used 17g until I decided to fix my elbow once and for all. The 17g Maxim Touch gave me 11 sets of singles and 1 set of doubles which I was very happy with. I can't comment on the power because I string at the lowest tension for my elbow, so that gives my setup more power than I'd like.

budkid
02-03-2010, 09:04 AM
I believe you should give Head Rip control a try!