PDA

View Full Version : TF X1 Biphase 18g

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
02-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Hi, im currently using a full bed of pro hurricane (look at my sig), im not really sure what more im looking for, maybe a tiny bit more power. but not too much. Is the 18g of x1 less powerful and better at holding tension than its 16 and 17g sibilngs?

z_z
02-01-2010, 09:20 PM
The 18g is more powerful then its thinner siblings. In terms of holding tension, my experience is that the 17 and 18g are about the same. The 18g does fray much much faster than the rest though.

It is quite a big switch to change fr a full bed of poly to multi (unless you are considering a hybrid set). Given a choice of X1 strings, i think using the 16g would be a better transitions. If not, try a softer poly or a syn gut string.

parasailing
02-01-2010, 09:22 PM
The 18g is more powerful then its thinner siblings. In terms of holding tension, my experience is that the 17 and 18g are about the same. The 18g does fray much much faster than the rest though.

It is quite a big switch to change fr a full bed of poly to multi (unless you are considering a hybrid set). Given a choice of X1 strings, i think using the 16g would be a better transitions. If not, try a softer poly or a syn gut string.

Would the 18g be a good cross for VS gut mains?

z_z
02-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Would the 18g be a good cross for VS gut mains?

Yup, why not. If it is to save money, pairing gut with a good multi with a thin gauge is a good choice to maintain the performance of gut. You can refer to this thread http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=308577 for more info on pairing. One thing about the 18g is that it may snap much faster than the gut and there goes your $$$.

Originally Posted by z_z View Post

Opppss typing without thinking again. I meant to say "thicker" instead of thinner in my 1st sentence.

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
02-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Oh sorry, forgot to clarify. I meant putting the x1 in the crosses.
If i put the 18g in, I would probably break it before it lost too much tension so it might be a good choice.

Previously, i used nat gut mains with poly crosses and it was way too powerful. Hopefully, poly mains and multi crosses will give me a tiny bit more power but not too much

z_z
02-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Yup, I would definitely factor in how long it takes for you to wear down your poly mains before going for the x1 18g crosses. The 18g do break fast if you are a hard hitter with a lot of spin. If not, try a thicker gauge or a cheaper multi.

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
02-02-2010, 03:05 PM
I really hate the trampoline feel, so id prefer if it broke quickly.

Fedace
02-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Hi, im currently using a full bed of pro hurricane (look at my sig), im not really sure what more im looking for, maybe a tiny bit more power. but not too much. Is the 18g of x1 less powerful and better at holding tension than its 16 and 17g sibilngs?

It is more powerful,,,more or less. There is much more trampoline effect so it may feel like it has more power. but i felt like i lost control somewhat. I was not as accurate with Angle shots,,tend to go wide on occasion. so it is a tradeoff. You get much better feel and spin however with 18G

parasailing
02-20-2010, 08:17 PM
Finally had a chance to try both 17 and 18g and I like 18g better. It feels more crisp.

Fedace
02-20-2010, 08:18 PM
Finally had a chance to try both 17 and 18g and I like 18g better. It feels more crisp.

you didn't feel like you lost control on some of your shots ??

parasailing
02-20-2010, 09:33 PM
you didn't feel like you lost control on some of your shots ??

Not really, I felt 18g allowed more dwell time when striking the ball.

ClubHoUno
02-20-2010, 09:40 PM
Unless it's for playing in wet eather, I don't see why I should use X-One or Xcel Power, when VS Natty gut is only $20 more and far more durable a string than X-One and with better control.

When multis lose elasticity they begin to perform like a rocket launcher.....

TennisNinja
02-20-2010, 10:43 PM
You'll break that soooo fast.

PeterCharvet
02-21-2010, 01:25 AM
I had some X1 Biphase (1.18) in the crosses recently at 58lbs, and I did not like it.

It's a lively feeling string but at this gauge/tension there's waaaaay too much bounce and springiness to the stringbed. It feels like the strings are trying to bounce the ball for you rather than you being in control. It also loses tension fairly quickly. .

If I had to try this string again it would have to be in a thicker guage and higher tension, but I don't think that's going to be any time soon as I prefer other Xcel as a multi.

PeterCharvet
02-21-2010, 01:26 AM
(1.18)

That was meant to say 1.18mm.