PDA

View Full Version : Arm pain from strings?

Deathsticks
02-01-2010, 06:32 PM
I went out to hit this morning, and after about 1 hour of play my arm started to hurt. I felt pain from my right arm's deltoids/ biceps. i would feel the pain every time i swinged making my shots very inconsistant.
my racket and string setup is as it says on my sig.

Babolat revenge is realy stiff as some say.

some people on the forum asked me if i had gotten pain in my arm.
i didn't think i would get arm pain because of my strings.

any suggestions?
i would still like to keep babolat revenge strings
and maybe hybrid it with a synthetics on the cross in the future
my choices are very limited to babolat, wilson,luxilon and prince strings.
i could also get gosen micro 16 from my stringer.
is 18g revenge on mains and 16g gosen micro on cross a good idea?
i want my strings have alot of feel and last just as long.

on a side note: cross strings top layer has been scratched into.

Deathsticks
02-01-2010, 06:37 PM
what i meant by cross string's top layer has been scrathced into is that revenge is a co-poly. it has 2 layers. the thick inner layer and the thin outer coating. the coating is scratched off by the mains.

Standupnfall
02-01-2010, 06:41 PM
Co-Poly doesn't mean it has 2 layers, although they may. It means its Polyester with other additives.

If you are having arm pain you should go down in tension, consider going away from Poly entirely and take a long break from tennis and do some rehab exercises.

Full Poly, high tension and less than perfect form is a recipe for disaster

DownTheLine
02-01-2010, 07:08 PM
You can easily get arm problems from your string.

It doesn't help that Revenge is one of the stiffest strings I've used.

Deathsticks
02-01-2010, 07:23 PM
never said co polys has 2 layers
i just said babolat revenge is a co poly that has 2 layers

Deathsticks
02-01-2010, 07:25 PM
i am about to take a break from tennis for about 2 months for another sport. Badminton season is coming up in about 3-4 weaks
should put a lot less stress on my arm :P

ManuGinobili
02-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Did you warm up properly? With that string and tension you need atleast 15 mins, especially in the morning

Could be the string... just get another string. You might be reluctant to change but from reading around the forum you will realize that there are better strings out there than Babolat (who only stands out in gut really), for whatever quality you're seeking.

Deathsticks
02-01-2010, 07:42 PM
err i realy don't do much warm ups
i usualy just do arm twirls and leg/feet stretches. i geuss i don't strech enough in the top portion of my body.

like i said im limited to what string my local tennis shop has. i don't have the ability to order online.
babolat, wilson, prince, luxilon and head strings are what i can get

tennis005
02-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Try Wilson NXT. It's a nice comfortable multi.

dancraig
02-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Lose the poly.

KenC
02-01-2010, 09:52 PM
To me it sounds like you didn't warm up enough. A lot of string problems show up first in the forearm muscles. Unless you're in Australia, its been pretty cold this year thanks to global warming and a good 15 minutes of mini tennis is obligatory before getting into baseline play.

That being said, is there a real reason why you HAVE to use a poly? They are stiffer and go dead faster, and when they are dead they are even worse for the arm.

mikeler
02-02-2010, 04:29 AM
Lose the poly.

I second DanCraig's motion.

THESEXPISTOL
02-02-2010, 06:10 AM
To me it sounds like you didn't warm up enough. A lot of string problems show up first in the forearm muscles. Unless you're in Australia, its been pretty cold this year thanks to global warming and a good 15 minutes of mini tennis is obligatory before getting into baseline play.

That being said, is there a real reason why you HAVE to use a poly? They are stiffer and go dead faster, and when they are dead they are even worse for the arm.

Warming up has nothing to do with the weather. Even under 40 C you need to warmup your muscles.
Sweating doesn't mean you're warm.

Rabbit
02-02-2010, 06:18 AM
Lose the poly.

I second DanCraig's motion.

What they said.

jrod
02-02-2010, 06:42 AM
Agree. Lose the poly and find something else that works. I'd stay away from hybrids until your arm pain totally resolves itself. Have you experimented with any other string types, such as gut or multifilaments?

Deathsticks
02-02-2010, 02:38 PM
I geuss i'lll just switch to Prince synth gut

mikeler
02-02-2010, 04:33 PM

It is better than poly but is a stiff feeling string to me.

charliefedererer
02-02-2010, 04:46 PM
What kind of workout do you do to get your arm/body in shape to play a lot of tennis but not suffer overuse injuries?

SteveI
02-02-2010, 04:49 PM

Go something softer (NXT, NRG, Max Touch) and reduce tension. Pain is never a good sigh. If you can swing the cost of Nat Gut.. that is the best you can do.