PDA

View Full Version : What are some explosive exersises?

Mikey Fresh
02-01-2010, 06:46 PM
Ive heard that explosive exersises are good for tennis, training type 2 mustles? I was wondering what some are

alan_kt_wong
02-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Plyometrics are good for developing explosive power. See the website
below for a nice overview of plyometrics.

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/plyometric.html

Try clicking on the links for "lower body" and "upper body" exercises. I've been doing them about a month, and I can feel that my first step is a tad quicker, despite the fact it is the off season and I can only get out to hit once a week. (I live in the North East).

It's been said that tennis is an extended plyometric sport.

Zachol82
02-01-2010, 08:13 PM
Aside from plyometrics, you can tweak most weight-lifting exercises so they can become explosive exercises as well.

I would recommend resistance band over dumbells and bars. Anyhow, just lower the weight to 50% of what you normally do and explode during muscle contraction.

It's easier for me to explain this concept with an actual exercise, so here we go. You're doing chest-presses with resistance band. When you push with your chest, explode as fast as you can, also concentrate on your core since all explosive exercises will use a lot of core. When you pull your arms backward, do it slowly and steadily. Explode out again, rinse and repeat.

This method can be applied to almost all muscle groups, just take it lightly for the first week so you get the hang of it. Don't be reckless!

I forgot one important thing. BREATHE. Whenever your muscles contract, breathe out. For example, in the chest-press exercise above, breathe out when you thrust forward, then breathe in slowly as you pull it back (you're not actually pulling anything back, you're actually resisting the weights).

ferb55
02-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Try power cleans.

Important..find someone in a gym that knows what they are doing and have them explain proper technique.

This is a tremendous exercise that works your entire body. Any athelete needing quick and powerful short movements uses power cleans.

You start with a long bar on the ground with an appropriate amount of weight. You bend at the knees, grip the bar and basically stand or "explode" up pulling the bar up to your waist and then to your chest where it rests. (basically). This is not a sufficient description of the exercise. Any trainer or weight lifter will know what it is. Ask them to show you and recommend a good weight.

Try 3 sets of 5 for a few days and then get to 3 sets of 10. Good Luck.

charliefedererer
02-05-2010, 08:14 PM
What kind of shape are you in? How much strength work/ weight work have you been doing?

Basically, unless you are already in good shape, you are inviting risking injury trying to do plyometric exercises or complex lifting like power cleans. Also, by having a good base of strength, your muscles will be able to generate enough force to benefit from the plyometric exercises.

Also, you can consider your tennis stokes and running to the ball can be the maintays of your explosive work, if you have already attained a good level of fitness and strength.

Check the following links to appreciate the graded progression of strength building before incorporating plyometric workouts: http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/tennis-weight-training.html
http://www.usta.com/USTA/Global/PlayerDevelopment/Sport_Science/all/114699_Strength__Conditioning_Plyometric_Exercises _for_Tennis.aspx

cncretecwbo
02-06-2010, 04:03 PM
Try power cleans.

Important..find someone in a gym that knows what they are doing and have them explain proper technique.

This is a tremendous exercise that works your entire body. Any athelete needing quick and powerful short movements uses power cleans.

You start with a long bar on the ground with an appropriate amount of weight. You bend at the knees, grip the bar and basically stand or "explode" up pulling the bar up to your waist and then to your chest where it rests. (basically). This is not a sufficient description of the exercise. Any trainer or weight lifter will know what it is. Ask them to show you and recommend a good weight.

Try 3 sets of 5 for a few days and then get to 3 sets of 10. Good Luck.

even most people who think they know what they are doing are wrong, I would do something less technical. I would go with high pulls (clean minus the catch) or medicine ball throws (ball on the ground in front of you, heav it over your head and as far or high behind you as you can).

I wouldnt recommend 3 sets of 5 for power cleans because form degrades fast, id go 5x3 instead. and 3x10 is also not a good idea for training explosive movement since you will begin training power clean endurance, not something explosive.

depending on what you lack (strength or explosiveness) you can pick weights that are good for you. If you are explosive but lack strength, use weights that push you limit. If you are strong but less explosive, use lighter weights (slightly) but focus on being explosive. just because you dont go to failure doesnt mean you arent improving.

r2473
02-06-2010, 04:04 PM
What are some explosive exersises?

sex