PDA

View Full Version : How is the new ratings system feeling?

Cindysphinx
02-02-2010, 03:59 AM
I didn't get bumped. And I'm having a grand old time.

So far, I'm 4-2, with one of those losses being utterly ridiculous in its stupidity and with the other requiring an upset because our opponents were more highly rated.

In mixed, I'm not seeing twist serves and other shots I cannot handle. In ladies, I am seeing ladies who can't blast the ball past me too often.

My matches have been reasonably competitive. No one has blown me out, and I haven't blown anyone else out.

It's all good.

Cindy -- who won't make 4.0 in November unless she starts handing out some beatings pretty quick

J_R_B
02-02-2010, 04:40 AM
Our leagues are still 2 months away, but I'm really looking forward to this year. I am a 4.0. Two years ago, I was 8-1 playing exclusively singles, and I suspect, just barely missed being bumped. Last year, I missed the first half of the year with tennis elbow and then developed a bulging disc in my back at the end of the year when I tried to jump right into the middle of the season (that I played through although it clearly limited me). The result is that my season was a near complete waste at 2-4 in a mix of singles and doubles, and I was subsequently not caught in the ratings shift.

Most of the people who could consistently beat me, and more importantly, a lot of the guys on the teams that were preventing our team from competing for districts, were bumped. I've trained hard in the gym since completing physical therapy for my back, I've lost 15 lbs, and I'm in the best shape I've been in since college (15 years ago...). I'm ready for a huge year personally, and our team actually has a chance to compete for the league title this year.

I'm also joining a 4.5 team this summer since most of the people at 4.5 who I was completely uncompetitive with were bumped to 5.0, so I suspect this will be my last year at 4.0.

larry10s
02-02-2010, 05:37 AM
I didn't get bumped. And I'm having a grand old time.

So far, I'm 4-2, with one of those losses being utterly ridiculous in its stupidity and with the other requiring an upset because our opponents were more highly rated.

In mixed, I'm not seeing twist serves and other shots I cannot handle. In ladies, I am seeing ladies who can't blast the ball past me too often.

My matches have been reasonably competitive. No one has blown me out, and I haven't blown anyone else out.

It's all good.

Cindy -- who won't make 4.0 in November unless she starts handing out some beatings pretty quick
you are proving to yourself your improvement . nothing 3.5 can do is something you cant handle. 4.0 you strugle now. with time that will be a piece of cake too:)

SlapShot
02-02-2010, 05:44 AM
Not feeling it yet, as we're still playing on 2009 ratings.

Playing 4.0 with good success (4-1) and 4.5 with less success (2-4, including a heartbreaking 6-7, 7-6, 1-0 loss last night). I expect that the 1 doubles line at 4.0 will continue to be the same difficulty, and 4.5 might get a bit easier.

raiden031
02-02-2010, 07:21 AM
I haven't started any USTA yet and won't until April. I plan to return to Singles and redeem myself from last year. The good news is that there are alot of new 4.0 players who I know I can smoke. The question is whether they will be playing Singles or just Doubles. I'm guessing the top players out there will still be the singles player, so things might not get any easier for me.

I'm hoping for .500 in my W/L record this year though.

Blask
02-02-2010, 02:01 PM
I got bumped up to 4.0 and so far it feels pretty good. I'm only doing mixed doubles right now , which I have never done before, but the matches have all been very competitive. I played the #1 line twice and won both matches in very close 3 set tiebreakers. Both matches could have gone either way but I like those matches because they feel rewarding at the end.

I'm not sure how I'll do in the spring league once the men's leagues starts but so far so good. I feel like I am where I belong.

austinjbrunner
02-02-2010, 02:48 PM
I am a 3.5, just started playing USTA leagues this year. I play for the club closer to my university rather than my hometown club and I am enjoying it. I practice with the 4.0 team from time to time and I can consistently stick with them.The #1 guy from my hometown club just moved to 4.0 even though he feels he shouldn't be. I beat him pretty handily so I can understand why. I'm thinking I will get moved up eventually.

Cindysphinx
02-03-2010, 05:10 AM
Just won in mixed, so now I'm 5-2. Rather than losing on Court Three, I'm winning on Court One.

I've never experienced actual "winning" before.

It's like a drug.

eagle
02-03-2010, 06:10 AM
Due to offcourt obligations, I've been unable to play leagues in a while. :( Hence, my rating has plummetted ... but it doesn't really bother me.

I play with a range of rated players from 3.5 to 4.5. In rare occassions, I manage to beat 4.5s. So I feel pretty good. :)

r,
eagle

HitItHarder
02-15-2010, 06:45 AM
Well USTA adult league match play started this past weekend, and I can definately tell a difference in the level of play. Our team was competitive last year (finished second in our level), but it was the first year for most of us playing at that current level. So we only lost one guy to the ratings bump. Most of the other teams lost 1/3 to 1/2 of their players.

As a result, our match wasn't close. The place I can tell the biggest difference is team depth. Since we didn't lose players, we can pretty much play a good competitive team or player on every court even mixing and matching when some of our players aren't available. The team we field on Court 3 is very close to the team on Court 1, etc.

The other teams seem to be lacking in that depth. They will have a couple strong courts and a couple weak ones. I think that is going to be the biggest difference this year in our league - team depth.

Cindysphinx
02-15-2010, 08:17 AM
Yes, I agree, HitIt.

In mixed, our 7.0 team lost hardly anyone. We are currently tied for first place at 4-0, having not lost an individual match this season.

With my ladies team, I am anticipating a nice season, although I doubt we'll ever make the playoffs (given our "play everyone equally" policy).

The advantage I am expecting from the ratings adjustment is that I no longer will have to worry about playing my "weaker" players. They were "weaker" last year, but there will be plenty of people they can beat now. It used to be that older players or players with push-y strokes got killed. Now, they will be the cagey, steady veterans.

drakulie
02-15-2010, 09:21 AM
For someone who doesn't care about accomplishments, you sure seem pre-occupied with your and your teams record.