PDA

View Full Version : Another crazy tennis parent

Kevin Patrick
04-28-2005, 09:32 AM
Anyone hear of this guy or his daughter?

"I know for a fact that if my kids keep going, they'll be the No. 1 players in the world one day. My daughter's gonna kill these b i t c h e s. She's gonna be on the tour by 11. I guarantee it. Mr. Williams ain't the only crazy motherf***** out here."
-- African-American multi-millionaire Tom Stafford speaking to Sports Illustrated.

from tennis-x.com

aj_m2009
04-28-2005, 09:35 AM
Sounds like a nutcase to me. And no, I've never heard of him.

Camilio Pascual
04-28-2005, 10:34 AM
Anyone hear of this guy or his daughter?

Mr. Williams ain't the only crazy motherf***** out here."
from tennis-x.com

No, but he's convinced me.

fedex27
04-28-2005, 11:29 AM
thats my dad too, but he doesnt care about me.

norcal
04-28-2005, 11:56 AM
Yeah but Richard was crazy and was not a multi-millionaire. Not sure a rich kid can have that hunger. Are the biatches he's referring to the Williams or just the women in general?

I predict his daughters will go Menendez on his @ss and go spend all his money.

raftermania
04-28-2005, 12:13 PM
Hey! Get off my dad's case!

Exile
04-28-2005, 05:43 PM
LOL @ rafter.

LOL at that weirdo, but I guess he is goal oriented.

He might take it too far, I'd have CPS look into this (nut)case.

Docalex007
04-28-2005, 05:59 PM
Doesn't surprise me one bit. Yesterday I was on the courts beside a father and his maybe 4-5 yr old son. The man kept scolding his child (I assume it to be his child) every time he switched grips???? WTF dude!

goober
04-28-2005, 06:13 PM
He has 2 kids- Jabiri, 9 year old boy and Emira, 7 year old girl. Apparently some guy named Leland Hardy who is an associate of Richard Williams has proclaimed they are going to be the best ever.

I was there from the beginning with Richard, Venus, and Serena - since the girls were six and seven years old or so. No one can speak with greater authority than me about identifying greatness at its earliest possible stages. I've seen them all. I've spent weeks on end with Rick Macci. Slept at Nick Bolletteiri's house. Helped Nick with his book "My Aces, My Faults." I've been to all of the world's biggest tournaments, the tennis player factories in Russia, and studied the best in the business up close and personal, both male and female. Emira and Jabari Stafford are THE future of tennis. They're going to be the best ever. Period

You can read a whole article about them here: http://www.newyork.com/tennis.html?cat=main

Haka Boy
04-28-2005, 07:11 PM
It really comes down to just "child abuse" The parents seeking a life through their kids.

obackvalobasha
04-28-2005, 07:11 PM
its the blackness. its in their blood.

edberg505
04-28-2005, 07:18 PM
its the blackness. its in their blood. What do you mean by that?

Kobble
04-28-2005, 07:26 PM
Who says tennis is a sissy sport. Some of these kids can take one on the chin with the best of them.

Haka Boy
04-28-2005, 07:29 PM
what utter rubbish!!!

Andy Hewitt
04-28-2005, 07:44 PM
Hah, you set yourself up for a page and a half of BEATINGS!
But I could care less.

Exile
04-28-2005, 08:02 PM
Let's all flame him to hades, please lets pwn him.

lefty10spro
04-28-2005, 09:09 PM
Yep, Stafford is the new nut-case of tennis parents! Pro tour at age 11! LOL

ragnaROK
04-28-2005, 10:06 PM
No, I'm thinking this Leland guy is an even bigger nutcase claiming two little kids that have barely reached two digits in age to be the future of tennis. A lot can happen in the growth of a child in those crucial teen years.

christo
04-28-2005, 11:07 PM
I'm gonna send Agassi's Dad over there to slap some sense into him

Deuce
04-28-2005, 11:35 PM
A true pity that Sports Illustrated has sunk to the level of printing this trash and thereby giving idiots a podium.

bamboo
04-29-2005, 12:08 AM
A true pity that Sports Illustrated has sunk to the level of printing this trash and thereby giving idiots a podium.
Not too surprising given their playboy- I mean swimsuit - issue, cheesy "commemorative" books as subscription "bonuses", videos glorifying NFL cheap-shots. Agreed it's another step down the road to pulp.

AndrewD
04-29-2005, 12:30 AM
Guys, I don't think you're supposed to take the article seriously.

Deuce
04-29-2005, 02:03 AM
Guys, I don't think you're supposed to take the article seriously.

Ok, Andrew - that got me thinking...

... about how gullible I may be, for one thing...

So I did a Google search for "Tom Stafford" and "Sports Illustrated". The quote at the top of this thread appears on several websites, all with reference to Sports Illustrated. This would indicate that it did appear in SI in some capacity and context.

If this is true - if SI did print that as a farce, then this is even worse than if it were true. That SI would go to the trouble to create a fictional circumstance like this for the sole purpose of selling a few more copies of their rag is pathetic. Perhaps this explains the existence of 'Sports Illustrated for Kids' - because the original SI is not suitable for children - which would be a very sad commentary on North American culture.

Of course, Tom Stafford could be real...

Either way, if SI printed that quote - in their rag, or on their website, it is a glaring example of why sports and 'entertainment' should never be fused - because there will always be morons like those at SI who abuse of the situation.

Deuce
04-29-2005, 02:21 AM
Found another source...

"One piece features an interview with yet another family pooling their resources to get their children to the top of the professional tennis world. Tom Stafford is a multimillionaire African American. He and his wife Michelle, their children Jabari, 9 years old, and Emira, 7 years old, the tennis instructor, the trainer and their agent make up Team Jamira. If their children decide not to play tennis that’s o.k. with their parents but whatever the children choose to do, Tom Stafford says, “We’re gonna make sure we get them to the top.”

Editing video footage is its own kind of editorializing, you can’t edit without a point of view. But the editorializing is stonger in print media because the writer chooses the words to present the subject. In a video magazine, people speak for themselves.

This feature for instance is begging for commentary. Stafford is taking his multimillionare business model and applying it to his kids and that’s pretty scary. I mean, this is a guy who said the following in a Sport Illustrated article: “I know for a fact that if my kids keep going, they’ll be the Number 1 players in the world one day. My daughter’s gonna kill these *****es. She’s gonna be on the tour by 11. I guarantee it. Mr. Williams ain’t the only crazy motherf—– out here.” Since very few sentences in the article passed without Stafford swearing, I don’t know how In Tenn managed to get a G rated performance out of him."

From http://tennis.mostvaluablenetwork.com/index.php?cat=22

Camilio Pascual
04-29-2005, 04:33 AM

I am SO hoping you inform the "Oakland Raiders" secondary of this theory.

obackvalobasha
04-29-2005, 06:29 AM
andyhewitt thats what i was thinking but damn it didn't work but atleast i got my true feeling out of the way no?

Lambsscroll
04-29-2005, 06:36 AM

When Tom Stafford says "my daughter's gonna kill these b i t c h e s", does he mean these white girls?

I dont think all blacks are racists but this Stafford guy might be trying to prove something to all white folks. This guy reminds me of the time when Richard Williams held up a sign after Venus's first Grand Slam victory saying "IT'S VENUS'S PARTY AND NO ONE WAS INVITED! Hmmm, if the crowd had all black folks in it I dont think he would have written that.

obackvalobasha
04-29-2005, 08:34 AM
hahah listen I Live in the ghetto and i know the most of the black's mentality. their living and dying war againist white men is obvious. im not white so its not like im backin my own race up. every time a black person outa luck they blame the white man. (O its the white man's fault). every time they does something that they proud of they act like they won a war against the white man. tell me im wrong

It is in their blood to be arrogant, egotistic and to have macho mentality.

edberg505
04-29-2005, 09:04 AM
hahah listen I Live in the ghetto and i know the most of the black's mentality. their living and dying war againist white men is obvious. im not white so its not like im backin my own race up. every time a black person outa luck they blame the white man. (O its the white man's fault). every time they does something that they proud of they act like they won a war against the white man. tell me im wrong

White or not, this could quite possibly be the most racist thing I've read on this board.

Camilio Pascual
04-29-2005, 10:35 AM

You are wrong.

counterpunch
04-30-2005, 07:43 AM

to some extent it is true, maybe not as extreme, but i do agree that most racism now is black against white, not vice versa.