PDA

View Full Version : A weirdo in the tennis court.

topseed
02-02-2010, 05:09 AM
Last week. I played in the club championships single finals.

During the warm up, I was feeding my opponent the ball, he did not return the ball to me but instead blasted all the balls i fed away from me. Not giving me a warm up. Then I told the ballboy to give the ball to him instead in order for him to give the ball to me. But again, he purposely hit ball again away from me. So the game started without having the proper warm up.

During the game, he taunted or sharked me everytime i was about to hit the ball. He made a lot of comments, noise etc to distract me. I did not complain because he was a friend. But after the tournament, he apologized about his taunting and said that he purposely did that because he admitted that he cannot win against me.

I complained to the club that ethics should be followed and rules should be implemented. What my opponent did if compared to basketball is like when your making a free throw, your opponent will pass infront of you eveytime you are about to shoot the ball. All the people watching are laughing at him. But the guy do not care, he will do anything it takes to win the match. Good thing I knew the guy or else.. i could have smashed my racket to him.

I lost the match 4-6, 4-6.:( I just said to the organizer that next time.... a psychiatrist should be the umpire.

athiker
02-02-2010, 05:37 AM
I'm sure someone can cite the the section of the rules/code, but I think that behavior is beyond mere annoyance and is considered a "hindrance" or similar and can cost the player points.

For example, a player is not allowed to wave his racket to distract an opponent from making a shot. Comments and noise during a shot would seem to fall in the same category. I'm not talking about "grunting", etc. during one's own shot, but during an opponent's.

spot
02-02-2010, 05:49 AM
The rules allow you to call your opponent for Hindrance if he was really going to those lengths to distract you.

beernutz
02-02-2010, 06:46 AM

During the warm up, I was feeding my opponent the ball, he did not return the ball to me but instead blasted all the balls i fed away from me. Not giving me a warm up. Then I told the ballboy to give the ball to him instead in order for him to give the ball to me. But again, he purposely hit ball again away from me. So the game started without having the proper warm up.

During the game, he taunted or sharked me everytime i was about to hit the ball. He made a lot of comments, noise etc to distract me. I did not complain because he was a friend. But after the tournament, he apologized about his taunting and said that he purposely did that because he admitted that he cannot win against me.

I complained to the club that ethics should be followed and rules should be implemented. What my opponent did if compared to basketball is like when your making a free throw, your opponent will pass infront of you eveytime you are about to shoot the ball. All the people watching are laughing at him. But the guy do not care, he will do anything it takes to win the match. Good thing I knew the guy or else.. i could have smashed my racket to him.

I lost the match 4-6, 4-6.:( I just said to the organizer that next time.... a psychiatrist should be the umpire.

He really did this? I would have stopped play the first time and warned him that if he did it again I would call a hindrance. You said there was a ballboy (I've played tennis over 30 years and never had a ballboy, so cool) but was there an official on hand as well? If there was, did you complain to them at the time? I can't believe they would have allowed that kind of behavior to continue.

borg number one
02-02-2010, 06:55 AM
He really did this? I would have stopped play the first time and warned him that if he did it again I would call a hindrance. You said there was a ballboy (I've played tennis over 30 years and never had a ballboy, so cool) but was there an official on hand as well? If there was, did you complain to them at the time? I can't believe they would have allowed that kind of behavior to continue.

Exactly right. Also, next time, consider having a "little talk" with the opponent during the changeover, but try to be as nice as possible when you do. "I'd appreciate it if you didn't try and distract me during my shots, you do know that's against the rules right? Change your game up quickly and "take it up a couple of notches. He would probably not be able to keep up and that'll cut out the "hindrance" stuff real quick as he starts "huffing and puffing".

Don't let a player get away with such garbage. He was engaging in "gamesmanship" and those are the guys that are absolutely the most fun to beat. Go get him next time, as it looks like you are the more skilled player! Anyway, chalk it up to a great tennis/life experience.

jswinf
02-02-2010, 09:14 AM
He must be a wonderful guy off the court if you consider him a friend.

ttbrowne
02-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Wow! You must have the worse enemies in the world if this is a friend.

blakesq
02-02-2010, 09:56 AM
You should not complain to the club. The first thing you should have done was told your opponent to cut it out, or you would call a hindrance. Only if he fails to stop, do you complain to the club.

Riosfan
02-05-2010, 12:38 PM
sounds like you weren't strong or smart enough to handle the messy situation and he took advantage. he totally disrespected and humiliated you.

Credit to you though for being a nice guy and not wanting to fight fire with fire.

mlewis721
02-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Was his name Dick?

DANMAN
02-05-2010, 02:48 PM
Was his name Dick?

I think it was Richard

Solat
02-06-2010, 06:02 AM
if he isn't going to return balls to you in the warm up don't hit any to him either. Go and find a wall and comeback when the time limit is up. He'll get the message

GoSurfBoy
02-06-2010, 06:31 AM
I returned after a long layoff, and started in tournaments again. I split sets with my opponent, and he complained that he was wet and chilled, and needed to get new balls for the 3rd set, and would I mind that he changed clothes "for a minute"?

I waited on a cold damp court for almost 30 minutes, and when he returned, he was freshly showered and changed!!!!

The Tournament Director was walking the courts and saw what happened, and 'admonished" him for this ridiculous delay.

My opponent turned to him and said "We had to wait almost 2 hours for a court. I can do whatever I want" - and the TD simply walked away! lol...So WHO would I even complain to!??

Needless to say, the first 3 or 4 games was my 're-warmup' and that was all he needed, as I went down 4-6 in the 3rd.

Some amazing people out there need to exploit EVERYTHING, as winning is EVERYTHING, and unfortunately, on a local level, TO's and TD's just seem to let it all slide, afraid to get into it or start a scene. People figure this out and exploit the lack of backbone in officiating.

If this ever happens again, I'll simply walk to the desk and report the score as a win/retired, and leave.

Cindysphinx
02-06-2010, 06:55 AM
^Or go take a warm shower yourself!

GoSurfBoy
02-06-2010, 07:36 AM
...and get a beer, order some dinner....

I was like "Jeeez...Where IS this guy?" I thought he'd gotten hung up on getting balls, but when he returned and yelled at the TD and the TD simply walked away... What can you do but play?

I had another guy in a prestigious Open Championships occasionally serve 2 balls at once to me (???!!!...soooo weird).

I killed the guy, but I always had this weird feeling he was tanking until 6-0, 5-0, and THEN would just 'decide to play' - and kill me...lol...

No shortage of nutcases out there, either!

Cindysphinx
02-06-2010, 08:31 AM
I had another guy in a prestigious Open Championships occasionally serve 2 balls at once to me (???!!!...soooo weird).

: boggles :

He took two balls, tossed them, and struck them both? He must have a consistent toss!

Steady Eddy
02-06-2010, 08:50 AM

So if they both missed, would it be a double fault?