PDA

View Full Version : Babolat Pure Storm GT, crosses start at the throat?

82300sd
02-02-2010, 07:00 AM
I looked up the pattern for this racquet, and it says to start a 2 piece job for crosses at the throat? This is the first pattern that I've encounterd that has a pattern to start the crosses at the throat. Any idea why the pattern is like this? Is there a problem if I just start it at the head like most racquets?

Cfidave
02-02-2010, 08:20 AM
You can start the crosses at the head, the correct starting knot/tie on, however, is 11H. That is a cross string, so you would need to use the starting clamp method rather then a starting knot for your crosses. This is probably why the directions show bottom up crosses. I always go head to throat on my crosses, all you need to do it correctly is a starting clamp.

downs_chris
02-02-2010, 08:52 AM
i remember seeing that same thing and thinking it was strange at first...but it seemed to work just fine...

82300sd
02-02-2010, 09:41 AM
Thanks for your response Cfidave, I do have a starting clamp, so I will give it a shot and try starting at the head.

downs_chris
02-02-2010, 09:50 AM
Thanks for your response Cfidave, I do have a starting clamp, so I will give it a shot and try starting at the head.

yeah...i didn't have a starting clamp...so i went throat to head...

good luck!

Zaphood
02-16-2010, 02:45 AM
I recently purchased this raquet and ordered it from TW readily strung. To my astonishement the raquet came strung as a one piece job? This I find really strange as Babolat clearly state in their instruction that the raquet should be strung 2 piece. Ha anyone else encountered situations where the seller contradicts the manufacturer instructions?

SteveI
02-16-2010, 05:15 AM
I recently purchased this raquet and ordered it from TW readily strung. To my astonishement the raquet came strung as a one piece job? This I find really strange as Babolat clearly state in their instruction that the raquet should be strung 2 piece. Ha anyone else encountered situations where the seller contradicts the manufacturer instructions?

TW has it listed as a one piece. Might want to give them a buzz. If I was doing a two piece, I would try to string crosses from head to throat.. but that is just me.

mikeler
02-16-2010, 05:32 AM
I was using starting knots on my Pure Storm Tours starting at the throat. This also ties off at a cross string on the top. I finally got a starting clamp and did it from the top down last job and it was way easier to weave the crosses at the top of the racket.

jim e
02-16-2010, 07:05 AM

The babolat pure storm gt is listed to be strung as one or two piece(USRSA Digest). Since the mains end at the head, this racquet is a natural one to string as one piece if you are not doing a hybrid.

SteveI
02-16-2010, 07:12 AM
The babolat pure storm gt is listed to be strung as one or two piece(USRSA Digest). Since the mains end at the head, this racquet is a natural one to string as one piece if you are not doing a hybrid.

I just checked the USRSA Digest also... Jim is right on.

Steve

Zaphood
02-16-2010, 07:58 AM
I just checked the USRSA Digest also... Jim is right on.

Steve

OK, then I guess everything is cool. I only checked on the Babolat home page (http://www.babolat.com/media/tennis/stringing_pattern/Pure_Storm.pdf) and those instructions do not mention a one piece, therefor my concern. Anyway thanks guys. :)

spp
02-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Could someone please explain why starting from the head would require a starting clamp?

I have been starting from the head with a starting knot on a main string. Is that bad?

thanks

mikeler
02-16-2010, 11:46 AM
What racket are you using? You'll need the starting clamp to string top down if the manufacturer calls for tying off on a cross string at the top of the racket.

spp
02-16-2010, 11:48 AM
What racket are you using? You'll need the starting clamp to string top down if the manufacturer calls for tying off on a cross string at the top of the racket.

I have the aeropro drive (without the cortex, although they seem to share the same stringing pattern).

I see from the string pattern from babolat that it starts from throat with cross tie off, but the tie off for the head is a main.

Jonny S&V
02-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Could someone please explain why starting from the head would require a starting clamp?

I have been starting from the head with a starting knot on a main string. Is that bad?

thanks

If you're doing a two-piece job on the Pure Storm GT, you can't have a starting knot because the tie-off in the head is on a cross, so you have to use a starting clamp or start at the bottom.

That being said, you don't HAVE to string your Aeropro Drive throat to head, but you might as well if it calls for it (and since you have a main tie-off in the head).

mikeler
02-16-2010, 12:05 PM
I bought a starting clamp because my starting knots were getting sucked deep into the grommets of my PSTs.

spp
02-16-2010, 01:43 PM
If you're doing a two-piece job on the Pure Storm GT, you can't have a starting knot because the tie-off in the head is on a cross, so you have to use a starting clamp or start at the bottom.

That being said, you don't HAVE to string your Aeropro Drive throat to head, but you might as well if it calls for it (and since you have a main tie-off in the head).

Thanks for the reply. If I understand you correctly, my method of doing head to throat with the main tie off (without a starting clamp given that my knot doesn't get stuck in the grommet :P) is acceptable?

Thanks again

Jonny S&V
02-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the reply. If I understand you correctly, my method of doing head to throat with the main tie off (without a starting clamp given that my knot doesn't get stuck in the grommet :P) is acceptable?

Thanks again

Correct. And very nice posts btw, most new posters around here start off without any punctuation and text-speak, it's nice to see actual sentences. :-)

Cfidave
02-16-2010, 03:29 PM

Thanks again

It may be acceptable, but it is not the Babolat recomended cross string tie off point. That would be 11H, which is a cross string. You must be enlarging a main string grommet to get two strings in that particular grommet. I'm not saying it is going to really matter, but it is just as easy to follow Babolat's instructions.

spp
02-16-2010, 03:30 PM
Correct. And very nice posts btw, most new posters around here start off without any punctuation and text-speak, it's nice to see actual sentences. :-)

lol. Thanks. Maybe it has something to do with me typing this from work?

Anyways, is there an explanation as to why manufacturers would recommend a cross tie-off v.s. main tie-off?

spp
02-16-2010, 03:33 PM
It may be acceptable, but it is not the Babolat recomended cross string tie off point. That would be 11H, which is a cross string. You must be enlarging a main string grommet to get two strings in that particular grommet. I'm not saying it is going to really matter, but it is just as easy to follow Babolat's instructions.

Hi Cfidave: Are you referring to the pure storm GT? I checked the puredrive pattern from babolt and it suggests 7H tie off?

http://www.babolat.com/media/tennis/stringing_pattern/Aeropro_Drive.pdf

Jonny S&V
02-16-2010, 06:11 PM

He's not using the Pure Storm, he's using the Aeropro Drive.