PDA

View Full Version : what multi best replicates Pacific Imperial??

i suck at tennis
02-02-2010, 08:10 AM
I have a set of Pacific Imperial that I look forward to trying, but before I waste it and string it up at a tension I don't like I want to try a multi at several different tensions to figure out what I would like the gut at... From what I have read here Imperial is one of the softest guts around, and I was just wondering what suggestions were out there as far as a similar feeling multi (I don't care about durability, etc. I just want to replicate the feel of the imperial as closely as possible).

The stick I will be using this in is a Dunlop 4D200 16x19... For an open string pattern it is fairly tight, especially in the hitting area

MJHendrickson21
02-04-2010, 08:00 AM
I would suggest Babolat Addiction 17 gauge, and its not too expensive either.

jim e
02-04-2010, 11:34 AM
I have a set of Pacific Imperial that I look forward to trying, but before I waste it and string it up at a tension I don't like I want to try a multi at several different tensions to figure out what I would like the gut at... From what I have read here Imperial is one of the softest guts around, and I was just wondering what suggestions were out there as far as a similar feeling multi (I don't care about durability, etc. I just want to replicate the feel of the imperial as closely as possible).

The stick I will be using this in is a Dunlop 4D200 16x19... For an open string pattern it is fairly tight, especially in the hitting area

No other multi has the stiffness of the nat. gut or even close to it. All you would be doing is waisting your time to get a multi to feel right for you , and then with the gut it would be different. Best option is to string the gut a few lbs. higher than your normal syn. gut, or even more if you hit with a poly, and experiment.After a few trials of tensions you will know what is the best tension for you. There is no short cut, as the non gut string will be different no matter which you try and use.

rudester
02-04-2010, 12:07 PM
No other multi has the stiffness of the nat. gut or even close to it. All you would be doing is waisting your time to get a multi to feel right for you , and then with the gut it would be different. Best option is to string the gut a few lbs. higher than your normal syn. gut, or even more if you hit with a poly, and experiment.After a few trials of tensions you will know what is the best tension for you. There is no short cut, as the non gut string will be different no matter which you try and use.

This is very sound advice

i suck at tennis
02-04-2010, 01:05 PM

Thanks Jim... I've been hitting with an XCel/syn gut hybrid at 55 lbs and when I play poly it's always in the low 50's, so I'll try the Imperial at 57 and see how that goes. I've read some great things about it here, I'm hoping that I like it as much as I think I will

jim e
02-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Thanks Jim... I've been hitting with an XCel/syn gut hybrid at 55 lbs and when I play poly it's always in the low 50's, so I'll try the Imperial at 57 and see how that goes. I've read some great things about it here, I'm hoping that I like it as much as I think I will

Good luck with the string. I used it for a while, and really liked it! It is a little softer than VS. My mid plus frames were strung at 61, and my OS were at 64.( I ended up staying with VS but it was a tough decision, as both were very playable strings). These took me a few times trial and error, as I kept upping the tension to where it played best for me.Don't let anyone tell you what is your best tension, as you have to decide that for yourself.There is nothing out there that hits like nat. gut, and its well worth the money for me.I hope that you enjoy the strings!! If it helps your game, you will have to change your name here!!!