PDA

View Full Version : Chronic Tennis Elbow & New Racket

tennis_ally2009
02-02-2010, 08:19 AM
Hi,
About 2 months ago, i suffered from quite bad tennis elbow. i had a break for about a month and a half, and started going back to tennis 2 weeks ago. it hasn't started hurting, but yesterday, whilst playing on an astro tennis court, and using a grip between semi western and full western for the first time, because i play better, it starting hurting a LOT again. Now, since yesterday, it hasn't stopped hurting since.
What is this?

Thanks

TA

jimanuel12
02-02-2010, 08:24 AM
Hi,
About 2 months ago, i suffered from quite bad tennis elbow. i had a break for about a month and a half, and started going back to tennis 2 weeks ago. it hasn't started hurting, but yesterday, whilst playing on an astro tennis court, and using a grip between semi western and full western for the first time, because i play better, it starting hurting a LOT again. Now, since yesterday, it hasn't stopped hurting since.
What is this?

Thanks

TA

if you have hurt your arm and have TE, then it takes a long long time to heal.
sometimes recovery is 6 months or more. in my case it has been 7 months and it is not 100% yet.
rest, ice applied to the area, and more rest.
once you start to heal, then you can start the TE exercises.
rest is very imporant along with a less stiff racket.
natural gut or good multifilant strings helps too.
if the pain does not go away soon, you may want to see a doctor.
i had 2 cortizone shots and chiropractic care helped me allot.
hope you get better soon.

tennisdad65
02-02-2010, 08:37 AM
which racquet?
which string?
what tension?
icing the region 3-4 times a day?
massaging it 3-4 times a day?

But even a softer racquet, soft strings, low tension will not help you unless you rest some more. When you come back, start up slowly.. wall , light volleys etc..

tennis_ally2009
02-02-2010, 08:46 AM
No, i'm quite young, so i dont consider any of these.
I used to be using a k blade 98, but now using aero storm.
I'm 14, would that make a difference?

TA

Vyse
02-02-2010, 08:51 AM
Where does it hurt at exactly?

tennis_ally2009
02-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Where does it hurt at exactly?

It hurts mainly at the bottom part of the elbow, but radiates down to the arm & wrist.

mikeler
02-02-2010, 09:53 AM
It hurts mainly at the bottom part of the elbow, but radiates down to the arm & wrist.

With the palm of your hand facing the sky, does it hurt on the inside of the elbow or the outside?

tennis_ally2009
02-02-2010, 09:58 AM
With the palm of your hand facing the sky, does it hurt on the inside of the elbow or the outside?

On the outside mainly.

As well as this, i am getting the APDGT, and am not sure how i should wait before using it, as it arrives in a couple of days?

Thanks

mikeler
02-02-2010, 10:01 AM
On the outside mainly.

As well as this, i am getting the APDGT, and am not sure how i should wait before using it, as it arrives in a couple of days?

Thanks

Yep, that would be tennis elbow. When it gets better, start doing the Tyler Twist exercise with a Thera band flexbar. Start out with the red and work your way up to the green and the blue.

J_R_B
02-02-2010, 10:07 AM
If you're 14, stop playing immediately and take care of this now before it becomes a career ending injury before your career is even started. I would plan on at least 6 mos off the court working on stretching and strengthening under the care of a orthopod, physical therapist, chiropractor, and tennis/fitness coach. To get this as young as you are is very worrisome.

tennis_ally2009
02-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Okay, i also do some running. Should i stop that for a bit too?

J_R_B
02-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Do your knees hurt too? I don't think running has any adverse effect on your elbow, but you shouldn't be asking me, you should be asking a doctor, specifically an orthopod.

mike53
02-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Okay, i also do some running. Should i stop that for a bit too?
Wear a compression strap over the affected area of your arm when you run or do any other strenuous exercise. Ice the area after exercise. Find your combination of frame/strings/tension/grip that lets you play without pain. Quit doing anything that causes a sharp pain. Take Mikeler's advice and start using the flexbar.

At age 14 you will heal up pretty fast. But it will just come back if you don't do some kind of regular exercise program like this:
http://www.eatonhand.com/hw/nirschl.htm

Vyse
02-02-2010, 12:53 PM
What is the difference if it hurts on outside of arm if palm facing sky but closer to tricep side of elbow compared to forearm side of elbow? Is there a difference?

mikeler
02-02-2010, 01:02 PM
What is the difference if it hurts on outside of arm if palm facing sky but closer to tricep side of elbow compared to forearm side of elbow? Is there a difference?

My guess would be triceps tendinitis. I got that in November of 2008 from hitting a serve too hard with a light racket. It seemed like it was healing after about 6 months even though I continued to play. Then I reaggravated it and started changing my service motion to try and alleviate the pain. That is when I got the dreaded Golfer's Elbow in addition to the triceps pain.

I tried the cortisone pills but kept playing. As soon as those wore off, the pain was right back where I started. Interestingly, as I did ultrasound/electrostimulation treatment the last 2 months, the triceps pain which I've had much longer went away first. Still have very minor pain from the GE but I can play again as long as I serve about 80%.

charliefedererer
02-02-2010, 09:47 PM
On the outside mainly.

Thanks

I hate to tell you but the APDGT will be a terrible racquet to use for someone trying to come back from tennis elbow as it is very stiff with a flex rating of 70. Your Storm would be better (stiffness 65) but better yet would be a frame in the low 60's like one of the Dunlops or a Volkl (the racquet forum has plenty of threads on flexible frames.)
And make sure you come back with a soft multifilament or natural gut string.

Plan on it being a slow introduction back with short hitting sessions gradually lengthening out, rather than a quick return to match play.

And for the long term be sure to stick with the Flexband exercises, as well as keeping your forearm muscles strong with wrist curls and reverse curls, and maybe using a handgripper as well. (Provided your doctor is in agreement, of course.)

But first things first, and for now that is rest to let the inflammation subside.

charliefedererer
02-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Double post.
Sorry.

tennis_ally2009
02-03-2010, 08:45 AM
I would try and do all these treatment methods, but my mum thinks that i'm exaggerating it all, so she doesnt believe its as painful as i explain.
So, i a still being made to do PE, which is lifting heavy weights and ect.
I have no idea what i shold do.

charliefedererer
02-03-2010, 02:05 PM
I would try and do all these treatment methods, but my mum thinks that i'm exaggerating it all, so she doesnt believe its as painful as i explain.
So, i a still being made to do PE, which is lifting heavy weights and ect.
I have no idea what i shold do.

From your post, I take it that your mom won't write or call your school to hold off on PE. But did you, yourself, talk to your physical ed instructors? I would think they would assess you and advise against lifting right now.

tennis_ally2009
02-03-2010, 02:11 PM
From your post, I take it that your mom won't write or call your school to hold off on PE. But did you, yourself, talk to your physical ed instructors? I would think they would assess you and advise against lifting right now.

Yeah, okay. However, I have cross country tomorrow, but I could just as easily go to my school gym and work on my elbow. Should I run, or go to gym? :(

J_R_B
02-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Yeah, okay. However, I have cross country tomorrow, but I could just as easily go to my school gym and work on my elbow. Should I run, or go to gym? :(

You should go to the doctors. Why are you seeking medical advice on a message board?

mike53
02-04-2010, 08:30 AM

Personally, I would never skip a running workout because of my elbow unless it hurt so bad that I couldn't get dressed. But that's just me. Running does irritate my elbow (amazingly enough) so I wear a compression strap when I run and I ice my elbow for 20 minutes when I'm done. Same with lifting heavy weights. I do stretching and prehab/rehab work for my arms in my room either before sleeping or first thing in the morning. I use simple equipment at home like bands and softweights that I ordered from www.fwonline.com or buy at wally world.