PDA

View Full Version : Technique used to shorten a longbody

eyedropper
04-28-2005, 08:37 AM
Does anyone have any experience shortening extended length racquets especially Prince. I remember 28inch Longbody era Prince grips to usually be foam which makes me think I could saw right through it. Any thoughts or tips to make this a clean and even finished result?

Thanks Much!!

NoBadMojo
04-28-2005, 08:47 AM
ya man...hack it off with a hacksaw. seriously, it is easy to do..a sharp bladed hacksaw does the trick...carefully cut so it is as square as possible, and if you have a mitre box that makes it easier. if you make a mistake best to leave it a hair long and you can use something like a file to take an extra fraction off..take your time ans what's the saying? 'measure twice and cut once'?

eyedropper
04-28-2005, 08:53 AM
Thanks NoBad that helps a lot! A mitre Box is a good tip I was wondering how I was going to make it perfectly 90 degrees. I am guessing you would want to use a very small tooth hacksaw yes?

Gaines Hillix
04-28-2005, 08:56 AM
I use a power mitre saw with a 40 tooth carbide tipped blade. I'm very careful to measure the amount to be cut off(I use a set of calipers) and I also take precautions to make sure the cut is going to be perfectly square. Once that's done it's a piece of cake.

NoBadMojo
04-28-2005, 09:04 AM
no prob...no need to make this into microsurgery..if not exactly perfect, the butt cap should take care of any slight imperfection..just staple the buttcap back on square to the frame rather than to the cut if not perfectly square. yes, a fine tooth hacksaw blade would be fine or if you have a powered saw like gaines, all the better

Z-Man
04-28-2005, 08:08 PM
I took 1/2 inch off of a POG LB with an exacto blade and a swiss army knife. No problem, and it plays great. All racquets should come in a 28in option so you can just cut off what you don't need...

charles_boey
04-28-2005, 08:36 PM
try cutting off 1/4 inch at a time and see how it plays haha
and by the time u have a kid...shorten it to 25" hahaha