PDA

View Full Version : One piece question

tennis_pr0
02-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Just want to make sure I have this correct...

When doing a one piece, when I start my main, I clamp down on one side (close to the frame) and tension the other side, then after pulling tension on a few mains on that side, I come back to the originally clamped side, and while leaving that clamp on, tension that side. Then I just pull that clamp down and clamp the other end of the string, and go from there. Is this correct?

Next, and I know this sounds like a very dumb question, but I I don't want to go through a 20 dollar string because of a minor mistake I may miss. The question is tying the knot on the mains. When I take the last main and go through the outside of the hole I am going to tie off, after I tie I remember the string sticking out a bit. Is this normal, and will this string go back in after I release the clamp that is on the last main on that side?

Last question is starting the crosses. After doing the last main on my long side, I keep that clamp on the main, and just feed that string through the first cross, tension that cross, then take the clamp that was on that last main and move it down to the cross. Is this correct?

And of course my final knot for the crosses is the same knot I use for the main, a double hitch knot, correct?

I know these are rookie questions, but I just want to make sure I have these things correct. Thanks.

jim e
02-02-2010, 11:38 AM

When doing a one piece, when I start my main, I clamp down on one side (close to the frame) and tension the other side, then after pulling tension on a few mains on that side, I come back to the originally clamped side, and while leaving that clamp on, tension that side. Then I just pull that clamp down and clamp the other end of the string, and go from there. Is this correct?

Yes, basically, You do not want to string more than 3 mains on one side before going to the opposite side(guidlines from the USRSA). (The USRSA is a great org. to join, as they can supply you with a great amount of info. and their digest written and online that covers just about every racquet out there).Be sure that you measure the short side string length properly.
I usually tension 2 strings on one side to start, then go to the other side, as that way you can place the fixed clamps(if you have a fixed clamp machine), next to each other and this way the clamps are close to the racquet inside the frame.In otherwords if you tension 2 strings on one side first, when you place the other clamp you can better position that clamp, as there is one main string between the 2 clamps allowing room to place the clamps side by side and close to the inside racquet frame.

Next, and I know this sounds like a very dumb question, but I I don't want to go through a 20 dollar string because of a minor mistake I may miss. The question is tying the knot on the mains. When I take the last main and go through the outside of the hole I am going to tie off, after I tie I remember the string sticking out a bit. Is this normal, and will this string go back in after I release the clamp that is on the last main on that side?

Try to cinch up the knot as best as you can. Once releasing of the clamp, the string will pull back and snug the knot, but you want to minimize that amount by tying a good knot. If you learn the Parnell knot, that knot cinches up well. Here is a link on that knot showing you a video. You also can use a double half hitch as that is an acceptable knot as well.Here is the link on the Parnell knot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUFjDax7xK4&fmt=18

Last question is starting the crosses. After doing the last main on my long side, I keep that clamp on the main, and just feed that string through the first cross, tension that cross, then take the clamp that was on that last main and move it down to the cross. Is this correct?

And of course my final knot for the crosses is the same knot I use for the main, a double hitch knot, correct?

I know these are rookie questions, but I just want to make sure I have these things correct. Thanks.

This depends on your racquet, as many racquets require that the cross strings be installed and tensioned from the top of the racquet to the bottom. So if your mains on your racquet end at the top, you are all set on most racquets made, and string it just as you mentioned. With Head , Prince, Yonex, you need to install the mains top to bottom only, so you have the option of using an ATW pattern if the mains end at the bottom or string as 2 piece(that would require starting knot, or using a starting clamp to hold the start of cross string, and then later tie off with doule half hitch or parnell knot) . With Wilson and Babolat you are allowed to string bottom up if your mains end at the bottom, (personally I string just about every racquet top down, as it places less stres on the racquet).
Yes, you can use the same double half hitch for the cross tie off, or Parnell knot. Hope that this helps!
Below is link of a good # of videos. Watch all of them and you will have a better understanding, as YULitlle does a good job explaining. Good luck!

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=172626

tennis_pr0
02-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Yes, basically, You do not want to string more than 3 mains on one side before going to the opposite side(guidlines from the USRSA). (The USRSA is a great org. to join, as they can supply you with a great amount of info. and their digest written and online that covers just about every racquet out there).Be sure that you measure the short side string length properly.
I usually tension 2 strings on one side to start, then go to the other side, as that way you can place the fixed clamps(if you have a fixed clamp machine), next to each other and this way the clamps are close to the racquet inside the frame.In otherwords if you tension 2 strings on one side first, when you place the other clamp you can better position that clamp, as there is one main string between the 2 clamps allowing room to place the clamps side by side and close to the inside racquet frame.

Try to cinch up the knot as best as you can. Once releasing of the clamp, the string will pull back and snug the knot, but you want to minimize that amount by tying a good knot. If you learn the Parnell knot, that knot cinches up well. Here is a link on that knot showing you a video. You also can use a double half hitch as that is an acceptable knot as well.Here is the link on the Parnell knot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUFjDax7xK4&fmt=18

This depends on your racquet, as many racquets require that the cross strings be installed and tensioned from the top of the racquet to the bottom. So if your mains on your racquet end at the top, you are all set on most racquets made, and string it just as you mentioned. With Head , Prince, Yonex, you need to install the mains top to bottom only, so you have the option of using an ATW pattern if the mains end at the bottom or string as 2 piece(that would require starting knot, or using a starting clamp to hold the start of cross string, and then later tie off with doule half hitch or parnell knot) . With Wilson and Babolat you are allowed to string bottom up if your mains end at the bottom, (personally I string just about every racquet top down, as it places less stres on the racquet).
Yes, you can use the same double half hitch for the cross tie off, or Parnell knot. Hope that this helps!
Below is link of a good # of videos. Watch all of them and you will have a better understanding, as YULitlle does a good job explaining. Good luck!

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=172626

Thank you so much, your response cleared everything up for me, thanks again. You said with head racquets, you can't start at the top with the crosses. I actually think with mine you do though, I play with the head microgel prestige pro, do you know about that racquet?

jim e
02-02-2010, 12:47 PM

jim e
02-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Thank you so much, your response cleared everything up for me, thanks again. You said with head racquets, you can't start at the top with the crosses. I actually think with mine you do though, I play with the head microgel prestige pro, do you know about that racquet?

You should start the crosses at the top only, especially with Head racquets!
Head specifies that all of their preformance racquets be strung 2 piece only.
This assures them that the racquet is strung with the crosses top down. That is starting the crosses at the top.
Even in the USRSA digest it lists the pattern as 2 piece only.
In Aug 2008 issue of RSI mag. (from the USRSA) (This article from the USRSA specified the Head Microgel Prestige racquet in that article, and stated:

This racquet does seem to be a natural for the one-piece stringing technique, and you would probably never have a problem restringing this racquet that way. The Digest specifies two-piece stringing for this frame because HEAD requires that every performance racquet they sell must be strung two-piece, period. With a properly-done two-piece string job, you avoid not only having the crosses installed from the throat to the head, but also any potential problem that might occur with an around-the-world or box pattern, where you might have a 90- or 270-degree turn between a main and a cross, which could break through a section of the frame where the grommets are close together. Because of this, in the unlikely event there was a problem with this frame, Head would have the option of denying the warranty claim due to the one-piece string job.

The above paragraph is not my words, as it comes from the USRSA mag article by Greg Raven.You can see it on there web site as being a member is not needed to view past issues on the web site.

Personally I would string it 2 piece,
Your racquet the mains do end at the top so you should be all set anyways if you decide to string it as a 1 piece so you should be fine to string it that way, and it would be extremely unlikely that there would be a problem, but head still lists it to be strung as a 2 piece job..

The pattern for your racquet is:From the USRSA Digest
Lenght 2 pc: 20'x17'
Tension:52-62 lbs.
Pattern:16x19
Start M's:H
Main Skips:8T&8H
Tie off M's:7H
2 Pc. X:
Start X:8H
Last X:8T
Tie off:6H, 7T

The information below is from The Head web site(although they list the pattern a little different numbering system) and it is also listed as 2 piece from Head:
MicroGel Prestige Pro
Total String Length:
11 m/36,5 ft
String Pattern:
16 main strings (6 m / 20 ft)
19 cross strings (5 m / 16,5 ft)
For optimum performance use HEAD Sonic Pro.
RECOMMENDED STRING TENSION:
26 +/- 2kp / 57 +/- 5lbs
The Main Strings
Start at the top with the center holes L35 and R35. For the left side of the
main strings clamp 3 m (10 ft) at hole L35 and R35. Tighten 2 main strings
right, two main strings left and so on, skipping holes L8 + R8, L28 + R28,
L+R29. Tie off at holes L29+R29.
The Cross Strings
Tie on the cross strings at hole R30 and lace string through hole R28. Tighten
all 19 cross strings in direction of racquet throat. Tie off at hole R7.

tennis_pr0
02-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Got ya. Ya the place I was taking my racquets to strung it as a one piece, and the head pro at the club I work at also strung it as a one piece. It actually says on the specs of the racquet that it's a one piece, so I will just do that. Thank you again for your detailed response, it was very helpful.

iplaybetter
02-02-2010, 08:09 PM
a bit old but still what you are asking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1mi5z4uAcs

on the other question, tie off then release the clamp then trim the knot

Irvin
02-03-2010, 06:01 AM

When doing a one piece, when I start my main, I clamp down on one side (close to the frame) and tension the other side, ...

Of course it is just my technique but I never clamp a string that has not been tensioned. When you do you risk damaging the string when you do pull tension on the string or remove the clamp.

I first double pull both center mains and clamp a string as close to the frame as I can away from the tension head. Then pull tension on the string not clamped and clamp it. Then pull tension on the first string I clamped and clamp it.

Irvin