PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Poly for myself and a cheap sythetic gut for customers

metsjets
02-02-2010, 01:37 PM
I have a few people who would like me to string their rackets so I'd like to buy a reel of cheap synthetic gut. They are occasional tennis players and just want me to string the racket for a low price. I was looking at Prince duraflex, I've used it before and it seemed alright for the price. I've tried Wilson synthetic gut and I was very disappointed how it played.

Are there other options or is duraflex a good way to go?

I'm also looking for a poly for myself. I have a first and second serve and I have a big flat forehand. I usually use multis but ever since I tried pro hurricane tour, I'm convinced that I can move away from multis. I really like the control a multi gives me as well as the feel, however I like how polys last waaay longer for me and they force me to play better.

Is there a poly out there that is on the cheaper side with a softer feel than Pro hurricane tour? I like how the ball brushes off my racket nicely with a multi, and I find that Pro hurricane gives me a little less control. I also may be stringing a hybrid for myself with the poly I buy along with the synthetic gut.

DownTheLine
02-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Gosen OG Sheep Micro.

Try Pro Hurricane.

HitItHarder
02-02-2010, 01:52 PM
+1 on the Gosen OG Mirco reels. It is hard to beat the price for a playable synthetic gut.

netman
02-02-2010, 02:17 PM
+2 on the Gosen Sheep Micro reels. I use the 16 and 17 for customers and they love the feel, control, comfort and longevity.

-k-

drakulie
02-02-2010, 02:26 PM
^^I agree with the others in regards to the Gosen. If you want something of great quality, but a bit more expensive, Pro Supex Maxim Touch.

If you want a softer poly than BPH, then most polyesters will do, as this is a harsh string. That said, Genesis SpinX is very lively, and on the softer side for polyesters. I'm just trying out this string for the first time and am pleasantly surprised with how soft it feels. Good spin, control, and very lively.

jim e
02-02-2010, 02:35 PM
For a decent syn. gut, try Tecnifibre SyntheticGut 16 660' String Reel - $34.95 at TW. Price is cheaper than Gosen, and many people use it as a typical synthetic gut. I used to use PSGD and Babolat super fine play as the typical syn. gut string to use for clients, and once Bab. stopped making the SFP, I went to the Tecnifibre SyntheticGut, as their stiffness and tension loss was about the same as SFP.The typical syn. gut people I string for like it, and its cheap enough.

metsjets
02-02-2010, 03:20 PM
^^I agree with the others in regards to the Gosen. If you want something of great quality, but a bit more expensive, Pro Supex Maxim Touch.

If you want a softer poly than BPH, then most polyesters will do, as this is a harsh string. That said, Genesis SpinX is very lively, and on the softer side for polyesters. I'm just trying out this string for the first time and am pleasantly surprised with how soft it feels. Good spin, control, and very lively.

Thanks, I think I will go with a Gosen reel. The multi I have been using now has been Maxim Touch. I really like everything about this string except the durability. Should I try using it in a hybrid with Gosen before I purchase a poly?

Kenny022593
02-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Forten Nylon 16. It is better than PSGD and Sheep Micro... IMO

stanfordtennis alum
02-02-2010, 06:03 PM
OG Micro for syn gut.. Pro supex premier ace for a poly or isospeed baseline spin== best 2 polys for value

tennis005
02-02-2010, 07:03 PM
+1 Gosen OG Micro.

BigT
02-02-2010, 10:09 PM
PolyStar Energy or Classic. My customers love the fact that they can use strings that the pros use without braking the bank.

drakulie
02-03-2010, 05:07 AM
Thanks, I think I will go with a Gosen reel. The multi I have been using now has been Maxim Touch. I really like everything about this string except the durability. Should I try using it in a hybrid with Gosen before I purchase a poly?

I've never tried the Maxim with another synthetic (hybrid). Always gone full job, or hybrid with a Poly. Like you though, the one draw back of Pro Supex is it doesn't last as long as a Poly of more durable synthetic. However, for me, I'd rather pay less than $10 for a full set of this and break it, than $40 for a full set of gut that lasts just as long.

Good luck.

fuzz nation
02-03-2010, 02:47 PM
I'm due to restock my syn. gut reels and might try Gosen and T-fibre, too. Looks like a win-win in any case, right?

The other thing I'll probably also do is grab a handful of sets of the Prince 15 gauge synthetic from TW. I want to see how soft it plays at moderate tension and I'd like to have some to try for a couple of young sluggers I string for. It could be good in a hybrid and also work well as a long lasting string for other folks who don't need anything too fancy.