View Full Version : Pro Supex Blue Gear

Shellovic
02-02-2010, 02:14 PM
What are your opinions about it?

Itagaki
02-02-2010, 05:58 PM
What are your opinions about it?

i tried it for the first time yesterday

its an ok string, seemed pretty good when i was taking some big cuts, but once i got tired and stopped taking big swings, things got ugly

the string felt rather muted

i played with my other racquet strung up with SP Tornado and was waaaaaaay happier with it

give it a try though, you might like it and its about half the price of tornado(much to my dismay)

stanfordtennis alum
02-02-2010, 06:02 PM
not a bad string.. a bunch of feedback on it on these boards... great for spin, a bit on the stiff side, power level is low.. try it and see for yourself!

Shellovic
02-03-2010, 12:50 AM

its an ok string, seemed pretty good when i was taking some big cuts, but once i got tired and stopped taking big swings, things got ugly

i played with my other racquet strung up with SP Tornado and was waaaaaaay happier with it

give it a try though, you might like it and its about half the price of tornado(much to my dismay)

What makes the SP Tornado better for you?
I am wondering because i wanted to order this one too.
The price of both strings, it doesn't make very big difference. I saw SP Tornado for €99,- and PS Blue Gear for $99,-.

ODYSSEY Mk.4
02-03-2010, 01:35 AM
Blue Gear is a lot of fun; It does what its says it does a rarity these days it gives your a dump truck amount of spin. Medium stiffness string, personally Ive found my best results with it in the mains and syn gut crosses strung around 62 with a diamond string saver pattern its a reel worthy string imo

ayuname
02-03-2010, 04:24 AM
lots and lots of spin.

Itagaki
02-03-2010, 08:09 AM
What makes the SP Tornado better for you?
I am wondering because i wanted to order this one too.
The price of both strings, it doesn't make very big difference. I saw SP Tornado for 99,- and PS Blue Gear for $99,-.

Softer, more comfortable, more forgiving

generally for me it had better feel

of course its possible that thats simply because my k90 with tornado had already been broken in while my play with blue gear was on a racquet that hadnt been used since it was strung

perhaps it will play a little better next time, we'll see

but i still prefer tornado over it in terms of performance and visual appeal

chaddles
02-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Cool colour, terrible playability - fishing line plays better than this stuff. It is a cheap string and plays that way, mainly for tight arses who can't afford to buy a quality string.

Shellovic
02-03-2010, 01:23 PM
Cool colour, terrible playability - fishing line plays better than this stuff. It is a cheap string and plays that way, mainly for tight arses who can't afford to buy a quality string.

What's terrible about it if i may ask?

pheonix6579
02-03-2010, 04:09 PM

I have to agree...I really had to get used to the HUGE amount of spin it put on the ball, however no real pop of the strings. Decent touch though.

Not bad at all for a cheaper string. But would def. hybrid with a soft synthetic on the crosses...its pretty stiff.

chaddles
02-03-2010, 04:22 PM
What's terrible about it if i may ask?

It is 'terrible' compared to what I have been using - like Alu Power, M2 Pro, NXT, PLII etc.

I tried a few Pro Supex and Genesis strings at the same time, and the Blue Gear just didn't have a good feel about it for me - was too stiff and boardy, with a lack of feel. It roduced spin, but no more than what I could get with Alu Power or even Touch Turbo. It will suit some people, and since I don't have a really strict budget I use the M2 Pro.

Try stringing up 2 racquets - one with the Blue Gear and the other with M2 Pro or another quality string and you will know what I mean.

Shellovic
02-03-2010, 04:27 PM
It is 'terrible' compared to what I have been using - like Alu Power, M2 Pro, NXT, PLII etc.

I tried a few Pro Supex and Genesis strings at the same time, and the Blue Gear just didn't have a good feel about it for me - was too stiff and boardy, with a lack of feel. It roduced spin, but no more than what I could get with Alu Power or even Touch Turbo. It will suit some people, and since I don't have a really strict budget I use the M2 Pro.

Try stringing up 2 racquets - one with the Blue Gear and the other with M2 Pro or another quality string and you will know what I mean.

Now i play indoor, so i have X-One on the crosses, but when i play on clay, in the summer i'm used to have a full bed of Alu power rough.
Is PS Blue Gear even stiffer than BB Alu Power?

chaddles
02-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Now i play indoor, so i have X-One on the crosses, but when i play on clay, in the summer i'm used to have a full bed of Alu power rough.
Is PS Blue Gear even stiffer than BB Alu Power?

I personally think it is, but the Alu Power (obviously) has much better playability. I can't comment on Blue Gears durability, as I cut it out after 3 or 4 hits.

zeratul90
02-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Love blue gear, i feel its one of those strings whether you like it, or you hate it. I had it strung in my APDC and it was amazing, tremendous amount of spin, great pop, feel was decent (though not horrible), and touch was fairly nice as well. Compared to Alu Power, bg wins in the spin category and loses in practically everything else lol. However, its not like alu completely destroys bg, but for the amount of money you spend on it, its a great string and definitely more worth it for me. Broke it in about 3-4 hitting/match sessions (lost count) of roughly 6 hours at a time.