PDA

View Full Version : Pro Staff 85 6.0 Original

wangs78
02-02-2010, 03:03 PM
You know I really wonder why Wilson doesn't just keep selling this racquet. It's a true classic. Sampras played with it throughout his career and Federer started his career playing with it. Sure, I understand that Wilson would prefer selling the new models for $200 a stick (which is ridiculous, but that seems to be the going rate these days). But I really don't think it will cannibalize that much of their sales bc it's really just a select group of tennis afficionados who would buy this stick instead of a BLX Tour 90. It's sad. When I see the 85s going on the big auction site for ridiculous prices I just get mad that something that Wilson could easily make available they choose not to.

aimr75
02-02-2010, 03:15 PM
But I really don't think it will cannibalize that much of their sales bc it's really just a select group of tennis afficionados who would buy this stick instead of a BLX Tour 90.

thats the thing, they would prefer to cater to the masses and maximise profits, not produce ps85's for a what amounts to a small group of users

that being said, i would love that they brought it back, i have 4 ps85's :)

rudester
02-02-2010, 03:26 PM
You know I really wonder why Wilson doesn't just keep selling this racquet. It's a true classic. Sampras played with it throughout his career and Federer started his career playing with it. Sure, I understand that Wilson would prefer selling the new models for $200 a stick (which is ridiculous, but that seems to be the going rate these days). But I really don't think it will cannibalize that much of their sales bc it's really just a select group of tennis afficionados who would buy this stick instead of a BLX Tour 90. It's sad. When I see the 85s going on the big auction site for ridiculous prices I just get mad that something that Wilson could easily make available they choose not to.

Ahh if only.... there are actually many many who have this same thought.

4zureSky
02-03-2010, 08:46 AM
I wish they would return the ps 85 too :-| I just bought a ps 85 on **** for about $97 :) I can't say I got lucky since it was the taiwan version. I can't wait till I can use it!

lambros
02-03-2010, 08:50 AM
I agree that the PS 6.0 is a good stick. But how many of us can actually hit well with it?

VGP
02-03-2010, 08:59 AM
I wish they would return the ps 85 too :-| I just bought a ps 85 on **** for about $97 :) I can't say I got lucky since it was the taiwan version. I can't wait till I can use it!

Hey, don't be dissin' the Taiwanese PS85s. They're mighty fine. Harsher than a SV, but still very good.

wangs78
02-03-2010, 08:59 AM
I agree that the PS 6.0 is a good stick. But how many of us can actually hit well with it?

Yeah, that's sort of exactly my point. Ppl who buy the 85 will likely still buy other racquets bc the 85 is not a racquet that you'd use if you play regularly in matchplay (unless you're pretty good). It's more likely that ppl will buy bc they are aware of its history, the great players who have used it, and so buy it for those reasons so that they can hit with it occasionally and also wave it around at home when watching tennis matches on TV =)

rudester
02-03-2010, 09:01 AM
While i am a self admitted mediocre hacker, The PS 85 was the racquet i have used most of my life and even though it is a demanding racquet for most, for me it is the one that is most the natural extension of my arm due to my familiarity with the frame, I have tried a hundred other frames, some of which excel in certain areas, but for me have not found any that have it all like the PS85, and certainly none have the pinpoint accuracy of the PS85 SV.
Many of the newer frames just feel cheap to me, I believe it is due to the materials used, they just do not feel as solid as some older models and this includes frames from other companies. The older layups are just more solid,, I have read some of the same thoughts in these threads, just thought i would add my two cents worth.

morten
02-03-2010, 09:36 AM
i use it .....

TheMagicianOfPrecision
02-03-2010, 09:42 AM
I had 4! PS 85 St Vincent 10 years ago, i got a great deal with Head and decided to sell them, 100 USD/each...boy do I regret this?!?!? :???:

Id love to get my hand on them again...

split-step
02-03-2010, 09:57 AM
I own 2 of the PS 6.0 Original MP

I can't state how much I LOVE these racquets. I have been unable to find replacements for these.
I have tried newer models but no racquet I've used can replicate the feel of the pro staff.

Someone recently broke into my car and stole the my 2 pro staffs and I was SOOO annoyed.
Thankfully I was able to get 2 ones in even better condition from e bay.
I am still keeping my eyes out for good ones.

By the way, there is a seller on e bay selling fake pro staffs. Always check for the wilson holograph is someone is claiming to have brand new pro staffs.

Doesn't really matter on used, because the older ones do not have the wilson quality seal.

jemsiter
02-03-2010, 01:33 PM
I have a St Vincent Prostaff 6.0 85 in pretty good condition :)
With tourna grip and wilson stencil too.

JoelDali
02-03-2010, 02:01 PM
I just handed my St Vincent to my stringer for weekly maint.

---New grommets (from that guy in GA for $40)
---Klip Legend uncoated 16 to be strung at 62#

I can't wait to have it back in my hands tomorrow at 8am.

I don't think theres anything quite like a STV strung with gut.

:O

LeeD
02-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Just hit with PS85, the medium blue version about 2 hours ago. Red stripes on throat.
Not much different than my Aero200, serve a little stronger, more balanced weight so slightly head heavier. Easy to play with that classic.
I used to use the black ones.

Ripper014
02-03-2010, 02:17 PM
Yep I have used this racket for most of my life... and love it. I have 4 of them... and they are the cleanest hitting racket I own. I only bring it out occasionally as I am currently using the Prostaff Tour 90, but last week I brought it back out because I didn't feel I get the same pop or power from the Tour 90 as I remember from my PS 6.0 85.

Well during my 90 minutes on court... my opponents said I served a lot harder than normal... What I noticed was that I was a lot more accurate and all my shots felt pure. With my Tour 90... I can hit to a spot, and I know it is going to be in the general area of where I am aiming... but with the PS 6.0 I know exactly where it is going whether it is in or not.

The other thing about the PS 6.0 I love is the sound... it makes a distinct "crackkkkkkkkkkkkkk" sound like something was crushed. Aesthetically I love the box frame... it just feels right in my hand crisp on contact, the only frame I have played that gives me this tactile response. I can only wonder how this racket would play as a 90...

Prostaffs Currently in my Arsenal

4 - Prostaff 6.0 85
2 - Prostaff 6.1 95 extended
2 - Prostaff Tour 90

Other rackets that I would consider and have tried.

KPS 88 - loved this frame... clean hitting, not unlike a PS 6.0
K90 - limited use of this frame... about 5 minutes... but I liked it, the response did seem a little muted to me, but it could have been the string job.

VGP
02-03-2010, 04:15 PM
It's a true classic. Sampras played with it throughout his career and Federer started his career playing with it.

So, which PS85 do you recommend Wilson produce?

The "Sampras" model or the "Federer" model?

wangs78
02-04-2010, 07:31 AM
So, which PS85 do you recommend Wilson produce?

The "Sampras" model or the "Federer" model?

The classic 85 model. For the Federer model ppl should just buy the BLX 90, although some say Roger is still using a K90 with a BLX 90 paintjob (which is fine by me as I own two brand new K90s hehe). But who knows what Roger is really using. Probably a K90 is my view. In any case, Roger started out on the PS 85 as well, so I think that racquet is truly special. Real pity that it's been discontinued. I'm glad I own 1, but which I had an extra... sigh.

hyperwarrior
02-04-2010, 08:32 AM
We should make a petition to bring that PS85 back.

JoelDali
02-04-2010, 08:35 AM

One already exists...I'm too lazy to google it now though.

:)

SFrazeur
02-04-2010, 08:41 AM
I prefer the Pro Staff 88 myself. Far better for my game.

-SF

vkartikv
02-04-2010, 09:03 AM
I was an enthusiast too until I discovered that inspite of all the fun I had with it, I was not good enough for it. Had to move to a lighter Midplus. It's like wanting to date Diane Lane - you know she is too good for you.

rudester
02-04-2010, 09:18 AM
We should make a petition to bring that PS85 back. http://www.petitiononline.com/TTW7788/petition.html
Here is link to sign petition

SFrazeur
02-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Surprised over 300 "singed" it. However, it's dead. Move on.

-SF

lambros
02-04-2010, 01:12 PM
I was an enthusiast too until I discovered that inspite of all the fun I had with it, I was not good enough for it. Had to move to a lighter Midplus. It's like wanting to date Diane Lane - you know she is too good for you.

Nice metaphor. :)

grzegorzo
02-04-2010, 02:03 PM
i play with k90 for past two years and before i was using 6.1 95 hyper hammer + bunch of other . A month ago i was given PS 85 St. Vincent by a friend(w/no idea what it was). Now I know what the PS hype is all about this "quarter of a century old" stick is the best. can't understand why Wilson is not capable to bring this back in same form. maybe construction is to costly and will cut in profit margin? petty...

grzegorzo
02-04-2010, 02:09 PM

how about publishing email to Wilson ceo or any one from conglomerate holding them now.

rudester
02-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Surprised over 300 "singed" it. However, it's dead. Move on.

-SFWhile i concur that this subject keeps popping up and that others may tire of it. I also believe that after all this time there is a very good reason that it does. Wilson is probably not interested in bringing it back, and probably with their recent quality control could not duplicate it anyway.
This does not detract from the issue that it certainly is one of the greatest racquets of all time, and the PS 85 nostalgia lives on. Those who have used it, and love this stick know what i'm talking about. Why not lament it's passing and entertain the small hope that it could return.

wangs78
02-04-2010, 03:49 PM
While i concur that this subject keeps popping up and that others may tire of it. I also believe that after all this time there is a very good reason that it does. Wilson is probably not interested in bringing it back, and probably with their recent quality control could not duplicate it anyway.
This does not detract from the issue that it certainly is one of the greatest racquets of all time, and the PS 85 nostalgia lives on. Those who have used it, and love this stick know what i'm talking about. Why not lament it's passing and entertain the small hope that it could return.

Exactly. When there's hope, there's a way.

russell
02-04-2010, 06:39 PM
I'm afraid there is no hope anymore. Wilson cut the life support for the PS85. It appears that they are starving off the last remaining frames of grommets.

SFrazeur
02-04-2010, 06:47 PM
A Prostaff 88 "Lite" might be a worthy compromise. Anyone concur?

-SF

wangs78
02-04-2010, 07:00 PM

-SF

I think we just want the Original =)

We need someone here who is in private equity or something so that they can just buy Wilson, gain board control and voila send the order to the Chinese factory (or even open up the St. Vincents factory) and start producing the classic again!

wangs78
02-05-2010, 07:14 AM
Just won my first St. Vincent on the bay =))
Now I have:
1) SV PS 85 x1
2) China PS 85 x1
3) Hyper Pro Staff 6.1 Tour 90 x2
4) Ncode Tour 90 x1
5) K6.1 Tour 90 x2
6) BLX 6.1 Tour 90 x1

=)))

Would still like to get my hands on a PS85 with a Pro Staff classic paint job but those are even harder to find than the St. Vincents, though usually not as expensive...

suppawat
02-05-2010, 08:08 AM

-SF

How about BLX88?

4zureSky
02-05-2010, 08:36 AM
Hey, don't be dissin' the Taiwanese PS85s. They're mighty fine. Harsher than a SV, but still very good.
You have my apologies :( I am very happy that I got an 85 to say the least :) Now I just need to check the strings that people prefer on this forum and try them out! I've been using original alus for my 88 for quite a while now and feel like switching to something different, but I'm not quite sure what. :-?

JoelDali
02-05-2010, 08:39 AM
How about BLX88?

The K88 is just fine.

Until Wilson stops making it anyway.

Kam2010
02-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Hello guys,
I too have A Wilson Pro Staff 6.085 I am pretty sure its a ST Vincent model looking on the net about it can someone confirm for definete what prooves its a St Vincent and not eastern manufacturerd please :)

Thanks

wangs78
02-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Hello guys,
I too have A Wilson Pro Staff 6.085 I am pretty sure its a ST Vincent model looking on the net about it can someone confirm for definete what prooves its a St Vincent and not eastern manufacturerd please :)

Thanks

There should be red primer

JoelDali
02-05-2010, 10:18 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=22094&highlight=st+vincent

JParen
02-05-2010, 05:58 PM
I have a PS Midsize, it has "HNS" in the butt cap ... anyone know which version is this darl? Thx

JoelDali
02-05-2010, 06:02 PM
See the link I posted above....click it with your mouse one time.

Kam2010
02-06-2010, 03:59 AM
Thanks guys and for that post Joel :P, I think I may have a ST Vincent model but not the earlier version of it.
Mine does have red primer as well as KSQ I think but faint on the buttcap, but the throat of the racket does say;
Recommended Tension 50-60lbs etc and the other side PWS the original etc..

JParen
02-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Did that, and couldn't find answer. And beause the thread is old ... from 2005? So i figured it's best to ask here. If you don't know pls don't waste your time. Thank you.
PS : Its from my uncle and not for sale ;-)

VGP
02-07-2010, 06:17 AM
Check out the PS85 wiki page (http://thetenniswiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Wilson+Pro+Staff+6.0+Original+Mid+8 5).....

jazzyfunkybluesy
02-07-2010, 06:30 AM
The K88 is just fine.

Until Wilson stops making it anyway.

Joel,

How many will you buy if they stop producing?

JParen
02-08-2010, 05:01 PM
Check out the PS85 wiki page (http://thetenniswiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Wilson+Pro+Staff+6.0+Original+Mid+8 5).....

Thanks ... still can't find my definite answer yet (I do have a hint though), but still very glad to find many interesting info there ... :-)

VGP
02-08-2010, 05:24 PM
JParen - post pics of your frame and I'm sure we'll try and help you out.

Larrysümmers
02-08-2010, 07:36 PM
I think that the reason why Wilson made the k88 was to
answer the ps85 callers. Kind of like ok guys this is basically the ps85 and it is promoting the kfactor at the same time.
Just my thoughts probably way off though

aimr75
02-08-2010, 08:02 PM
I think that the reason why Wilson made the k88 was to
answer the ps85 callers. Kind of like ok guys this is basically the ps85 and it is promoting the kfactor at the same time.
Just my thoughts probably way off though

if that were the case, it would have played like the ps85, which it doesnt really

Larrysümmers
02-08-2010, 08:08 PM
if that were the case, it would have played like the ps85, which it doesnt really

I see. I've never really played with either. Well never with the ps85 and like 3 volleys with it

JoelDali
02-09-2010, 07:30 AM
Joel,

How many will you buy if they stop producing?

1 or 2 more.

I just hope we get fair warning.

morten
02-09-2010, 08:12 AM
best racket for me by far.... and i have tried just about all mids the last 15 years...

wangs78
02-12-2010, 07:42 AM
Just got my PS St. Vincent. It's a beaut!

Sovereignty
02-12-2010, 11:34 AM
I actually got my hands on my first pro staff about 3 days ago. My coach said that he had one with him he didn't use anymore. He offered to give it to me for free, and I couldn't believe it. Even though cosmetically it is beat up, just to have one is great. I am going to restring it and put a new grip, and see how it hits. He let me hit with his current pro staff, and it feels so weird hitting with an 85 sq inch head. It took a second to start cranking forehands and backhands. However, the volleys did come naturally :P

I can't wait to practice with this racquet just to develop control with my strokes. Does anyone know how the new kfactor 88 compares?

JoelDali
02-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Does anyone know how the new kfactor 88 compares?

Theres a vast amount of threads here on both sticks...you could spend days reading it all...try the search button and go to town...

:0)

Greek Goliath
02-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Does anyone know how the new kfactor 88 compares?

I haven't played extensively with the mid, but I would have to say from what I experienced that they are pretty different. There is a similar buttery feel, but the [K]Pro Staff is just a completely different animal. It features Karophite Black for more [K]ontrol!!

Okay, but to be honest, the KPS is much different. I would say that the feel is similar- very crisp and buttery. However, the KPS has a lot more power than the original Pro Staff. Depending on your particular frame (Wilson QC isn't so great), your frame could be really difficult to play with too, as it might be extremely heavy but not very headlight.

puri_telo
07-04-2011, 12:53 AM
hey guys, i just wanted to ask if somebody could help me out with finding out if i just bought a fake Taiwan PS85 or not the other day. there are not to many things making me wonder. i posted in other threads but i didnt get any response.. so please, if any of u know anything just let me know.
first of all, what is ok about it is that it has the hologram sticker that can go off and has the "not for resale if hologram missing" (i've seen cases in fakes where the hologram doesn't go off). then, it has everything in place ( i mean the writing and stuff, i compared it to a lot of pics of taiwan i've seen online). the weight is where it should be although the balance is at around 31 cm (tennis wiki says the taiwanese should be at 33.2). it is not so matte, which is ok, it has a code on the buttcap, above the W ( SGP, but it's a bit smaller that others that i've seen on the internet, it has R registered where it should have (on the buttcap, at graphite/kevlar and TM at the SYN gut suggestion inside the throat). the grommet has the 22D 1615 code on it, on the sides, which i also think is ok but the things that bother me are the fact that the bumper guard slightly comes like 0.3 cm above the grommet, at 11, and 2 o'clock, where they meet, and the other thing is that it doesnt have the foam underneath the leather grip (which also seems to be a genuine fairway grip-everything written ok, gold writing, good feel, colour, etc), it has a plastic handle. so that's the maaajor problem i've been having. did the taiwanese had yellow foam underneath the grip or plastic handles. cuz i kinda worry, since this is the only detail that doest fit..

thanks

FabulousDD
07-04-2011, 06:35 AM
hi guys!
did you notice the racquet was on sale again on TW? Enjoy

wangs78
07-04-2011, 11:38 PM
hi guys!
did you notice the racquet was on sale again on TW? Enjoy

Yes, I just noticed - yippee!!!!

jemsiter
07-05-2011, 04:54 PM
Yes, I just noticed - yippee!!!!

but the 4 1/4 and 4 3/8 are already sold out
and they haven't confirmed whether they will get more in the near future :(

VGP
07-05-2011, 05:03 PM
TW says they're shooting for mid-September.

JoelDali
07-05-2011, 06:01 PM
The impact this raquet is making after just a few days of release in my local community is astonishing.