PDA

View Full Version : Best Value for the Money

tennispr()
02-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Looking for a reel to buy that you consider the "best value for the money".
Best value poly reel?
Best value synthetic gut?

Im considering buying the og sheep micro for 35 bucks and was wondering how that played on a full string job.

stanfordtennis alum
02-02-2010, 07:27 PM
best value poly: pro supex premier ace, isospeed baseline, gosen polylon
best value syn gut: gosen og micro

clxtennis
02-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Agree with the Isospeed Baseline (would recommend the speed model). Also agree with Gosen OG Micro. These two are also great with each other.

Another suggestion, Topspin CyberFlash. 75 bucks a reel, but you do get 722 ft instead of the usual 660. Also great when strung with Gosen OG Micro.

If you prefer a softer feel, goes with the Isospeed, if you want something stiffer, go with Topspin.

iplaybetter
02-02-2010, 08:06 PM
everyone has a individual opinion
i love tecnifibre syn gut for 30 a reel and think polylon ice is also very sollid, but thats me

i also do all my own stringing and use 17 of everything and dont mind breaking it a lot, many of my clients think very highly of polylon ice mains with psgd crosses

ManuGinobili
02-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Funny how it works in strings... for the best value the general rule of thumb is stay away from the big racket makers/heavily advertised names: Head, Wilson, Babolat, Prince...

Also the biggest names in strings are also the most expensive: Luxilon, Technifibre, Babolat gut...

So if the 'value' you want mean not so expensive but does the job, look to Gosen, Topspin, European poly makers like PolyStar, Pro Supex, IsoSpeed.

I personally don't recommend Gosen because with the $30 reels you only get half or 1/3 the play time of other strings, which leads to more stringing and decreased life for your racket. However Gosen OG Sheep is regarded as a top synthetic gut and very good in hybrids.

The best way to do it is try out a few sets before making any decision (wish I had that option lol).