PDA

View Full Version : places to tie of strings

lidoazndiabloboi
02-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Does it matter where you do the tieoffs for the mains and crosses.
I had a little trouble picking which holes to tie them off in.

Itagaki
02-02-2010, 10:05 PM
Does it matter where you do the tieoffs for the mains and crosses.
I had a little trouble picking which holes to tie them off in.

im pretty sure there are grommets that are wider specifically for tie off purposes

lidoazndiabloboi
02-02-2010, 10:12 PM
i just learned how to string, so i might have strung with some bad techniques. I was doing a hybrid and was on the last cross. I could fit it into any of the holes except the one hole i already used to tie off my mains. So i ended up tying off both my main and cross on the same string. I just switch to a new set of grommets so all the holes were pretty small.

BigT
02-02-2010, 10:16 PM
i just learned how to string, so i might have strung with some bad techniques. I was doing a hybrid and was on the last cross. I could fit it into any of the holes except the one hole i already used to tie off my mains. So i ended up tying off both my main and cross on the same string. I just switch to a new set of grommets so all the holes were pretty small.

Definitely a no-no. No need for that if there is room on other strings. Most racquets have instructions where to tie off.

eagle
02-03-2010, 04:35 AM
Yikes. Don't randomly pick tie-off holes.

There are specific holes for that.

Go here to find instructions for your racquet.

http://www.klipperusa.com/stringing/manufacturers.php

If not, go to your racquet manufacturer website and get it from them.

If you don't know how to read the stringing specs, go to the webpage below and read the section for "Patterns and How to Interpret them"

http://www.sptennis.com/stringer.asp

r,
eagle

jim e
02-03-2010, 05:37 AM

It sounds like you meant to say that you could not fit the string into any of the grommets except the main string tie off hole.
The next time that you replace the grommet set,(or string this racquet), take an awl, and lube it with chap stick, or similar product, (about only time I use an awl anymore), and gently twist it into the tie off grommets to enlargen it so that you would have plenty of room the next time you string a racquet with new grommets to use the proper tie offs. Sometimes it helps to flatten the end of the string real well, and cut the tip at a sharp angle, and slowly with short increments push the string into place as this works most of the time. If that bends, then try the same, and apply just a little super glue to the tip and spray a little super glue accelerator which sets it up immediately, so the tip will be stiff, and that makes it easier to push it through as well.Just a thought.

Cfidave
02-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Another usefull tip is to make a "string Awl" by shaving the tip of the string with a razor blade, to make a very thin point. This has never failed me, even on badly blocked grommet holes

lidoazndiabloboi
02-03-2010, 10:17 AM
thanks for all the info and tips.
i will keep that in mind next time i string.

TennisNinja
02-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Yikes. Don't randomly pick tie-off holes.

There are specific holes for that.

Go here to find instructions for your racquet.

http://www.klipperusa.com/stringing/manufacturers.php

If not, go to your racquet manufacturer website and get it from them.

If you don't know how to read the stringing specs, go to the webpage below and read the section for "Patterns and How to Interpret them"

http://www.sptennis.com/stringer.asp

r,
eagle

Great sites to use, I love the 1st one.