PDA

View Full Version : about different gauges

Ross K
02-03-2010, 01:07 AM
Just wondered if someone could point out some basics re the different gauges... What are the essential things to keep in mind re gauges?... How do you know which gauge to opt for with any given string?... like which gauges are considered best for close pattern frames... open pattern... topspin b-line fames etc... and why?

Thanks,

R.

fuzz nation
02-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Hey Ross,

I've found that the gauge of the strings that I put in a really soft frame doesn't seem to do much to affect the spin production (softer bats just seem generally more spin happy), but I definitely get a sense that there's more bite on the ball with a thinner string in a stiff racquet like our good ol' 6.1 Classics.

I usually lean toward thinner strings for their feel - for me, they seem less clunky than a thicker option. That's just a personal preference with syn. gut or multi's.

Denser patterns seem to justify thinner gauges, since there are more lengths of string to share the load and increase durability. Open patterns might be smarter with a thicker alternative, let's say 16 over 17 gauge, if the life of the strings is a consideration. That can take a little trial and error to see if either one delivers acceptable service life.

Lots of heavy baseliners seem to like the polys, at least in hybrids, but I'm in no hurry to put my elbow at risk. They typically provide enough spin for harder hitters to keep their strokes down on the court, but I also think that a lot of those players are using middle weight frames with a bit of stiffness which facilitate that more modern whup on the ball.

Are you on the hunt for a good string for a certain racquet or anything like that?