PDA

View Full Version : Holy Crap - I'm 4.0!

PushyPushster
02-03-2010, 05:10 AM
I haven't played much USTA tennis since 2008, but after hearing about all the bump-ups I went on TennisLink to see what happened to some buddies. To my great surprise I see that I'VE been bumped! I only played one league match in 2009 and managed to get slaughtered 2-6, 2-6 by my opponent. I can only assume he turned pro after the season ended, because on the strength of that phenomenal performance I have joined the ranks of the elite.

I set some modest goals when I first started playing tennis. Lacking strokes, technique, or any discernible talent I wanted to get to 4.0. Much like George Bush I'm unfurling my banner. I set the bar low, and the USTA just pushed me over it. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

Watch out for me, baby.

athiker
02-03-2010, 07:03 AM
Congrats!...so do you walk on the court now with a certain 4.0 swagger?! 8-)

I set a goal to get bumped up too, but was expecting/hoping to get bumped up after this spring season b/c I knew it couldn't happen based on my record last spring and fall...I was wrong. I'm okay with it b/c I think its the right rating now that I've improved, but was still very surprised since there was no way the computer could know that!...so it feels a little empty, so I can relate.

How was your 2008 record out of curiosity?

I can only assume he turned pro after the season ended, because on the strength of that phenomenal performance I have joined the ranks of the elite.

:lol:

hoodjem
02-03-2010, 07:10 AM
I've been 4.0 for years, hoping to improve and move up to 4.5. Heck, now I should check. . . maybe I'm now suddenly much better and thus a 5.0.

PushyPushster
02-03-2010, 10:15 AM
Congrats!...so do you walk on the court now with a certain 4.0 swagger?!

The next time I take the court I'll be sure to use the impressive swagger of a 4.0 player. Not that I'll be at this level long, of course. I plan on playing one match, getting crushed, and quickly moving up to 4.5. Now that's swagger!

How was your 2008 record out of curiosity?

It was good; 5-1, all at singles. The Power of the Push.

OrangePower
02-03-2010, 10:28 AM
I haven't played much USTA tennis since 2008, but after hearing about all the bump-ups I went on TennisLink to see what happened to some buddies. To my great surprise I see that I'VE been bumped! I only played one league match in 2009 and managed to get slaughtered 2-6, 2-6 by my opponent. I can only assume he turned pro after the season ended, because on the strength of that phenomenal performance I have joined the ranks of the elite.

I set some modest goals when I first started playing tennis. Lacking strokes, technique, or any discernible talent I wanted to get to 4.0. Much like George Bush I'm unfurling my banner. I set the bar low, and the USTA just pushed me over it. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

Watch out for me, baby.

Probably what happened is that you ended 2008 with a dynamic rating of say 3.45 due to good results in 2008 (so rounded up to 3.5 in 2008 year end rating). You only played one match in 2009 - so your dynamic rating would not have moved much. Let's say you were at 3.4 before the Great Bump-up. And then when the top third of 3.5s got bumped up, you were in that group.

Enjoy!

MrCLEAN
02-04-2010, 10:06 AM
In the time I've been sitting here reading this, I've been bumped to 4.5!! YEAH! USTA rocks!

MomentumGT
02-04-2010, 01:09 PM
This thread is funny LOL.

I was actually almost offended that I wasn't bumped to 4.5's when some of my league team mates got bumped and they lost all the matches they played. lol. Myself, I crushed everyone in my league last season in straight sets and was rewarded with a computer rating of a 4.0. Imagine the faces of some of the other players on other teams when they see my ugly mug

r2473
02-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Holy Crap - I'm 4.0!

It just sneaks up on you sometimes.

http://www.nightcruiser.com.au/wa/perth/birthday/40thBirthday_glitter.gif

GrandBanana
02-18-2010, 09:44 AM
This absolutely kills me --- I have been trying to get bumped so hard and just can't...obviously, I'm doing something wrong. Apparently, I suck at this sport much more than I think I do.

I play a lot of non-USTA social mixers and can cream (or hold my own) the other 4.0s and those recently bumped up to 4.0. Honestly, I am in the middle of that pack.

Had an injury in 2008 and didn't play at all --- 2009 was off to a slow start, but I managed. Won half of my 3.5 men's matches (lost the other half only because I was slated to be the sacrificial lamb against the opponents' studs). Played 7.0 mixed (went to playoffs) and 8.0 mixed (did OK).

Result after the great bump up --- NO SOUP FOR YOU! Yup, I'm stuck at 3.5 again this year, *****ing about not getting bumped up while there are so many people *****ing about getting bumped up and didn't want to. Believe me, I'd trade places with anyone if I could.

Yes, I've appealed, written emails, and raised Cain to high Heaven...no dice. The only thing I got told was "you were close." My rating is probably 3.44 (as if it's 3.45 or higher, I can appeal up). I realize that they have to make cutoffs somewhere, but I am now a whole world away from where I need to be. If I weren't sacrificed at #1 Doubles those two times, I'm sure I would have the rating officially...Gracias, El Capitan!

I went to watch my 7.0 mixed league the other day --- the new 7.0 ("7.0 lite" is what I'm calling it) it laughable. I was there for about 15 minutes and saw one 3.5 woman whiff 3 times; another 3.5 woman could barely serve. Kills me that I'm being rated in the same 3.5 category as these people when my game is SOOO much better than these. Basically the USTA told me that I'll just have to live with my incorrect 3.5 label and prove them wrong by creaming the new "3.5 lite" players. Thanks USTA --- greatly appreciate it!

Guaranteed, if I don't get bumped up a 4.0 this year, it will be my last year playing --- this sux.

kylebarendrick
02-18-2010, 10:23 AM
Keep in mind that your mixed record did not count towards your rating. From what you wrote, the only thing used to determine your rating was your .500 record in the men's league. There isn't much reason to expect a bump after a .500 season.

So kick some butt, play up if you can, and you should get bumped.

ohplease
02-18-2010, 10:32 AM
This absolutely kills me --- I have been trying to get bumped so hard and just can't...obviously, I'm doing something wrong. Apparently, I suck at this sport much more than I think I do.

I play a lot of non-USTA social mixers and can cream (or hold my own) the other 4.0s and those recently bumped up to 4.0. Honestly, I am in the middle of that pack.

Had an injury in 2008 and didn't play at all --- 2009 was off to a slow start, but I managed. Won half of my 3.5 men's matches (lost the other half only because I was slated to be the sacrificial lamb against the opponents' studs). Played 7.0 mixed (went to playoffs) and 8.0 mixed (did OK).

Result after the great bump up --- NO SOUP FOR YOU! Yup, I'm stuck at 3.5 again this year, *****ing about not getting bumped up while there are so many people *****ing about getting bumped up and didn't want to. Believe me, I'd trade places with anyone if I could.

Yes, I've appealed, written emails, and raised Cain to high Heaven...no dice. The only thing I got told was "you were close." My rating is probably 3.44 (as if it's 3.45 or higher, I can appeal up). I realize that they have to make cutoffs somewhere, but I am now a whole world away from where I need to be. If I weren't sacrificed at #1 Doubles those two times, I'm sure I would have the rating officially...Gracias, El Capitan!

I went to watch my 7.0 mixed league the other day --- the new 7.0 ("7.0 lite" is what I'm calling it) it laughable. I was there for about 15 minutes and saw one 3.5 woman whiff 3 times; another 3.5 woman could barely serve. Kills me that I'm being rated in the same 3.5 category as these people when my game is SOOO much better than these. Basically the USTA told me that I'll just have to live with my incorrect 3.5 label and prove them wrong by creaming the new "3.5 lite" players. Thanks USTA --- greatly appreciate it!

Guaranteed, if I don't get bumped up a 4.0 this year, it will be my last year playing --- this sux.

All you have to do is convince a 4.0 captain to both roster and play you. If you're as good as you think you are, that won't be a problem. Most captains will fold a new player into their lineups immediately if it's clear they belong.

GrandBanana
02-18-2010, 10:59 AM
Thx 4 advice...easier said than done in this area. Will give it one last chance for this year...after that, I'm taking up backgammon.

Rorsach
02-19-2010, 12:34 AM
I have it a lot easier by just not caring about rating. Officially i'm a 2.0 (:D), but i can easily hold my own against 4.5's. I just haven't gotten around to playing league matches or official tournaments yet.
Who cares, i'm having fun on court and it's healthy at the same time. Then again, i'm 37 and have probably lost that competitive edge and the need to prove myself. It's great fun playing social mixed with the local housewives and having a beer/wine/coke afterwards talking about the kids.

When i quit tennis 20 years ago i used to be a 5.0 and i have just started again last year. Apparently some of the technique stuck.