PDA

View Full Version : Which Practice Ball?

zfroio
02-03-2010, 12:25 PM
The balls that my tennis club donated to me are way too dead to even dump into my ball machine. I want a cheap case that I can buy, but I don't want a pressureless ball. Any brand/type that is a good quality and at a great price?

Thanks for your time and suggestions.

schap02
02-03-2010, 12:29 PM
The balls that my tennis club donated to me are way too dead to even dump into my ball machine. I want a cheap case that I can buy, but I don't want a pressureless ball. Any brand/type that is a good quality and at a great price?

Thanks for your time and suggestions.

I mean if you're thinking something cheap and decent - what about like Penn Coach like most teaching pros stock?

MJHendrickson21
02-04-2010, 08:53 AM
Seems like I once heard (but don't take my word for it) that if you stick two tennis balls at a time in a microwave for 1minute 45 seconds with a cup of lemon juice with added honey and vinegar they will retain there composition. Don't pour the lemon juice or honey and vinegar on the tennis balls just leave it in a cup in the microwave with them.

Again research that on the web before you do it because I've never tried it.

TennisCoachFLA
02-04-2010, 09:05 AM
The Tretorn Micro X balls are great in ball machines. They cost more up front but they last so long they make the cost more competitive.

charliefedererer
02-04-2010, 07:21 PM
^^^There is pretty much universal agreement that the Tretorn Micro X balls are the best for ball machines.

The trouble with pressurized balls is that they lose their pressure faily quickly, and not uniformly. Practicing with dead balls will throw off your timing; they slow down way more after the bounce and you can hit them harder without them going out. You don't want to spend your practice time learning the right way to time and hit a dead ball, but the wrong way to time and hit balls for matches.

If you absolutely can't swing the dough for the Micro X balls, the Penn pressureless balls are a reasonable, though distant second place, alternative.