PDA

View Full Version : No Undergrip, just overgrip

hhyakfish
02-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Hi All,

For the past 15 years, I've always taken off the grips of my racquets and placed only an overgrip (Prince DuraTred/DuraTrac).

Just wondering if anyone else does this and if there are any drawbacks? Thanks.

jswinf
02-03-2010, 04:15 PM
I've done this a couple times when I bought a used racket with a worn-out grip--I thought it felt kind of harsh with just an overgrip, I like a real grip under there for a little cushioning. Can't imagine it would hurt anything if you like it that way, though, Don Budge didn't use any grip at all and he did OK.

ronalditop
02-03-2010, 05:02 PM
I used to use a grip plus one overgrip, but I felt it was a little too big and I wanted more maneuverability. Now Im just using three overgrips without overlapping. It feels better, I can swing the racquet faster, though it feels harsher than using a grip+overgrip, I even got some blisters that took about a week to heal.

zfroio
02-03-2010, 07:06 PM
I'm pretty sure Nadal just uses overgrips like that too.

Nuke
02-04-2010, 05:06 AM
There have been a couple of threads like this already. Yes, a bunch of us just use overgrips. Two layers of Tournagrip on the bare handle for me.

AJK1
02-06-2010, 08:20 PM
The handle if well gripped is actually the best vibration dampener on a racquet, so only using an overgrip will eventually be detrimental to your hand and arms health vibration-wise. I would strongly advise anyone to use a grip and/or an overgrip. Your body will thank you.

Big_Dangerous
02-06-2010, 10:36 PM
The handle if well gripped is actually the best vibration dampener on a racquet, so only using an overgrip will eventually be detrimental to your hand and arms health vibration-wise. I would strongly advise anyone to use a grip and/or an overgrip. Your body will thank you.

Yeah, I couldn't use just overgrips. Personally, I use one Babolat Syntec and then one Pro Team Tacky.

Pwned
02-07-2010, 02:27 AM
2 overgrips for me. Soft feel and slightly smaller grip size it seems. Definitely prefer it over 1 replacement grip or 1 replacement grip+overgrip. If replacement grips were a lot cheaper I would do those. Replacing the top overgrip after every couple times playing is cheap.

lineitup
02-07-2010, 08:38 AM
2 overgrips for me. Soft feel and slightly smaller grip size it seems. Definitely prefer it over 1 replacement grip or 1 replacement grip+overgrip. If replacement grips were a lot cheaper I would do those. Replacing the top overgrip after every couple times playing is cheap.

^ How does that work out for you? I'm thinking about doing it

TennisNinja
02-07-2010, 12:08 PM
My friend has just an overgrip on his racket and I tried it (was a Blade 98 too), and it hurt my hand so bad, it kept digging into my palms and had so much vibration.

ccmasterk
02-07-2010, 02:04 PM
I'm pretty sure Nadal just uses overgrips like that too.

Yeah Nadal just uses 2 overgrips

Pwned
02-08-2010, 02:47 AM
^ How does that work out for you? I'm thinking about doing it

With two overgrips I really like it. I find it to be much cheaper and easier. Quickly take the used grip off and roll another one on and you're ready to go. Depending on how much you stretch the overgrip you can also make the grip thinner or thicker. Definitely not harsh with 2 overgrips. Worth a try, the worst thing that happens is you want to put a replacement grip back on.

stanley92
02-08-2010, 04:26 PM
does taking off the stock undergrip make the racket slightly lighter?

tennisdude083
02-08-2010, 04:58 PM
does taking off the stock undergrip make the racket slightly lighter?

Of course it will make the racquet lighter. Probably by about 10 grams if you replace it with 1 overgrip. Most synthetic grips weigh about 15g, and most overgrips weigh about 5g. This will also make the racquet slightly more head heavy.

stanley92
02-09-2010, 04:55 AM
how about the head youtek prestige pro leather grip?

tennis24
02-11-2010, 09:07 PM
no..u can just feel the bevels more

iplaybetter
02-12-2010, 04:23 PM
I have done it, but always using two over grips in lue of a grip

hhyakfish
02-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Funny thing is, after I originally posted this post, I got in a new KPS88. I decided to leave the Wilson leather grip on just to see how it feels.......and it feels GREAT!! I may be changing my habits and start using leather grips from now on. We'll have to wait a couple more weeks to see if I still like it.

subz
02-13-2010, 05:54 AM
used 2 over grips for a while, I didnt feel any discomfort, it was ok !