PDA

View Full Version : string tension and tennis elbow

ericwong
02-03-2010, 04:21 PM
I've got a new string yesterday and it's 1.27mm. I would like to seek advice what tension should I use since I have tennis elbow.

Thanks

chaddles
02-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Bit more info - what is the string, and what racquet is it going in?

ericwong
02-03-2010, 08:57 PM
I am using AG300 and I am trying out TopSpin Cyber Twirl. I intend to do a full poly job on my piece.

mikeler
02-04-2010, 05:27 AM
I've got a new string yesterday and it's 1.27mm. I would like to seek advice what tension should I use since I have tennis elbow.

Thanks

How bad is your TE? If you still have some pain while playing, then I'd suggest stringing at the lowest recommended tension unless you are using natural gut.

fuzz nation
02-04-2010, 06:06 AM
There's an excellent chance that any poly, including "softer" co-polys, will only further irritate your arm. Those types of string are inherently not resilient, which helps them make more spin in comparison to the velocity that they churn out. What you get through the handle of your racquet is any extra shock, etc. from that stiffer setup, since the strings have less give upon contact.

Some of our friends here might say that they've had wonderful results with one or another so-called softer co-poly strings, but you've already got some TE going on. As I see it, you're plainly more susceptible to irritation, so you'd be smart to use a softer type of string, at least for now. That means avoiding poly or kevlar, even in a hybrid setup.

Natural gut is pricey, but it has the best reputation around for being an arm friendly string. Multifibers are next on the list and then the next potential option might be a thinner synthetic gut, but those will be typically a bit less soft than the multi's. Tennis elbow is a cumulative injury and you ought to take active steps now to get yourself back in a healthy direction. Softer strings along with therapy and strengthening of your elbow ought to keep you more healthy down the road.