PDA

View Full Version : To Find Out who's the best player ever

UpTheT
04-28-2005, 03:10 PM
You have to ask the following question:

Who would make the best Davis Cup team member?

Docalex007
04-28-2005, 03:42 PM
naaaaaa.....thats way too simplified

galain
04-28-2005, 07:43 PM
People have different motivations. If I was going by that criteria I would be stupid to go past Lleyton Hewitt. I think his semi final Cup win over Federer a couple of years ago was the most amazing tennis I've seen in a long time. He seems to be the best tennis player (or one of the best) at playing for his country. Do I think he's the best player playng solely for himself?

Nah.

Misiti99
04-28-2005, 08:15 PM
Best ever: Sampras

Best Davis Cup player: Am i so wrong to maybe say Ljubicic HAHA

bluecephas
04-28-2005, 08:47 PM
I'd approach it a different way. I'd imagine myself as a pro tennis player. If my personal goal as a professional tennis player was to be recognized as the GOAT, my honest specific objective will be to win the most slams, cause slams are what really matters. For some reason Davis Cup or the Olympics don't quite make my list because too many top players miss these events. That's the reason why, no matter what anybody says in this board, Sampras is the GOAT in my mind. Even if he won all of his slams on grass, I'd consider his most slams to be THE criteria because winning the most slams would be my goal if I were a pro. I'd totally welcome Federer to beat that if he can, but until then there can be only one.

westside
04-29-2005, 02:56 AM
People have different motivations. If I was going by that criteria I would be stupid to go past Lleyton Hewitt. I think his semi final Cup win over Federer a couple of years ago was the most amazing tennis I've seen in a long time. He seems to be the best tennis player (or one of the best) at playing for his country. Do I think he's the best player playng solely for himself?

Nah.

Damn straight. When it comes to davis cup, Hewitt is one of the best

Camilio Pascual
04-29-2005, 03:27 AM
You have to ask the following question:

Who would make the best Davis Cup team member?

For Americans the best answer to that would be Mac, look at his Davis Cup record and doubles prowess. He's not even the best American ever, so I wouldn't use that as a test.

Lambsscroll
04-29-2005, 08:58 AM
So a level 3.5 player who had great motivational skills could be the greatest player ever as long as he has a great Davis Cup record as team leader? Its possible. Of couse the 3.5 player would be benched the whole time hee hee.

Grimjack
04-29-2005, 09:59 AM
GOAT is a distinction granted by the fans. It's not a real award or a real title, it is what the consensus of fans say it is.

Since virtually no sports fans, and probably a pretty small percentage of tennis fans as well (less than 10%, certainly) have any idea who even won the LAST Davis Cup (and care even less), I'd argue that Davis Cup prowess is about as relevant as teats on a bull moose.

UpTheT
04-29-2005, 10:32 AM
Let me clarify-- Its not the only criteria, but it is one of the most important. We are not talking about Davis Cup records here- we are talking about who you would choose to head your team. By that I mean- who you would rely on to kick butt in both singles and doubles. The best tennis player ever has to be a good all court, all type tennis player.

If you can't play doubles then you don't get to be the best tennis player ever.

AndrewD
04-29-2005, 11:09 AM
Can't agree with that at all. That totally favours serve volley players and puts someone like Borg or even Connors at a distinct disadvantage. It also puts someone like Sampras at a disadvantage because his unwillingness to consistantly play Davis Cup means he can't ever be viewed as the best Davis Cup team member.

Regardless, the entire discussion is moot. You can't find the best player ever, its just not possible. It's only ever going to be mere conjecture not fact. So, you'll end up finding, not the mythical 'best ever' but the the best player who fits your criteria. Its fun but its nothing more than that.

UpTheT
04-29-2005, 11:20 AM
Can't agree with that at all. That totally favours serve volley players and puts someone like Borg or even Connors at a distinct disadvantage. It also puts someone like Sampras at a disadvantage because his unwillingness to consistantly play Davis Cup means he can't ever be viewed as the best Davis Cup team member.

Regardless, the entire discussion is moot. You can't find the best player ever, its just not possible. It's only ever going to be mere conjecture not fact. So, you'll end up finding, not the mythical 'best ever' but the the best player who fits your criteria. Its fun but its nothing more than that.

Being a formor Davis Cup Player isn't the Criteria--- I use Davis Cup to help people concentrate on who they would choose to head their team- thus focusing on the best overall player-- one who has the skills to play all types of tennis-- It would call for a player with a Good Serve, Good Volleys, Good Groundies and a Good Head. Alot of the Greats has some of the shots but not all. To me the Greatest Player of all Time must have almost all of the above.

I've played with Doubles with some GREAT singles players and laughed at how doubles hamstrung them. Deer in the headlights for most of them. I also played with some Great singles players who made even better Doubles players.

AndrewD
04-29-2005, 11:24 AM
Well then, Im sorry to say, if I wanted someone to head up my team it wouldn't be either McEnroe or Sampras. Sure, Id want them in the team but those are two guys who couldn't lead ants to a picnic.