PDA

View Full Version : Improvement

JongJong
02-03-2010, 05:47 PM
I am currently 5'10'' and 130 lbs. I want to get stronger and more fit for my Varsity Tennis season coming up.

What do I need to emphasize my work outs on in order to improve my tennis?

What do I need to eat more of? (Example of diet?)

Itagaki
02-03-2010, 10:15 PM
I am currently 5'10'' and 130 lbs. I want to get stronger and more fit for my Varsity Tennis season coming up.

jesus you're skinny

i think you need to eat more of everything, lol

as for workouts, im not exactly sure in this situation...i imagine the Varsity Tennis season for high school starts pretty soon right?

typically i'd recommend a strength training regiment like stronglifts 5x5, but idk in this situation

LeeD
02-04-2010, 08:46 AM
I was just a hair taller than you, about the same weight until I was 35 years old, then balloonned up, of course...Corona and pasta.
Your answer is DEPENDS!
At your size, for tennis, what is your problem? I could hit 129mph first serves, hit forehands as fast as any A or 5.5 player, could more than cover alley to alley, hardly ever let any lobs of any depth bounce, and didn't need to add any weight at all for any reason.
And one of the guys I lost to in a Q Tourny, RussellSimpson, was 6'3" and 150 lbs......about the same ratio as me.
Are you young and still growing? You'll fill out when nature intended.
If you're too weak to swing a real tennis racket, then gaining muscle would help. I used a 13 oz WilsonProStaff in those days.
Now, at 5'11" and 146 lbs., use a 12 oz DunlopAero200.

charliefedererer
02-04-2010, 11:35 AM

When does your season start?

It takes months to really build appreciable strenght and speed.

Here's a good overview of what type of comprehensive program you should have already started: http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/tennis-training.html

But you should at a minimum get going right now with the following:
1. The thrower's ten: www.asmi.org/SportsMed/media/thrower10.swf
2. Running. You can start with some jogging if you haven't been running to build up some minimal conditioning, but for tennis High Speed Interval Training, consisting of many sprints separated by very short rest period, would be the best.
3. Twisting crunches and situps are a start on core strength.

You don't want to put on any fat weight to be carrying around the court. Realistically, if your muscles aren't strong, you can only get like an ounce of muscle hypertrophy from a workout. So you don't have to worry about taking in large amounts of protein intake for the very small amounts of muscle you could be adding. For energy for your workouts, complex carbohydrates (cereal, pasta, rice, fruits/vegatables) should be powering you.

T Woody
02-04-2010, 12:28 PM

Some good advice from charliefed. Sounds like you're about 17. The real question at your age and size is what are your goals over the next few years? If you're simply looking to get fit for tennis in the next few months, then you should play a lot of tennis and supplement with 2 days of lifting (bench, overhead press, pullups, ab work, dips, squats) and 2 days of tough interval conditioning per week (100's or 200's on the track and court conditioning drills like cones, small hurdles, etc).

If you have grand aspirations to get stronger and a little bigger, that's something that will take a few years and something you should concetrate on for a while after your season ends rather than leading up to the season.

Eat anything that you can kill or plant.

jimanuel12
02-05-2010, 05:53 AM

you are a skinny sucker - like me when i was young.
i am 6'3" and weighted 150 when i was young.
i was so skinny i had to run around in the shower to get wet.
eat protein and veggies

start out with jogging - then on to running if you want, i always hated running.
good luck with the training