PDA

View Full Version : Busting Prince Synthetic Gut 16

Arzon
02-03-2010, 06:12 PM
For the past 3 months I have been playing pretty intense tennis in preparation for tennis season. Each one of these months, I broke my strings playing returning a tough ground stroke.

however, I do not know how to string racquets by myself nor do I have the resources to do so.

My local pro stringer charges $35 per string job and paying $400 a year for tennis is quite a bit to me.

Anyone have a recommendation for a string that is similar? Maybe different brand or different type that has a similar feel. I currently love the current feel of my strings.

BTW, currently string my APDC with Prince Syn gut 16 w/duraflex @ 62 lbs.

Thanks

Kick Serve 14
02-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Well, with that racket you're just going to shred through strings. However, if you're looking for something similar in terms of playability. Look at Forten Nylon 16, which is only $17 per reel on TW. Or check out Gosen, OG Sheep Micro, which is less than $30.

mikeler
02-03-2010, 06:42 PM
That string is 3.50 per set. Is the labor on the job over $30? That is very high for such a basic string. If that is the going rate, buy a low end drop weight stringing machine for 150 bucks and you can make that up in just 5 string jobs.

Standupnfall
02-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Yeah even the pro shops here only charge $26.

A good rule of thumb for pricing is "up to double the price of the string + $10-$15 labor" -USRSA guide

Keep in mind this guideline doesn't apply to more expensive stings cause then VS gut would be over a $100.

But I think you will find local stringers follow this for budget strings I.E
PSGD $3.50 Doubled is $7 + $10 to $20 labor = $17 to $27.
I charge $21 for this string with racquet cleaning, Free overgrip and stenciling included.

$35 is out of control in my mind for PSGD unless new grommets are intstalled or you are getting a reach around when you pick it up :oops:

fuzz nation
02-04-2010, 06:49 AM
You're not alone. I'm amazed with the charges that these jokers ask for when installing even the most basic string.

It sounds like you've sort of done the math in the back of your head and I can tell you that once you learn to string your own gear, you'll never let anyone touch your racquets again. A simple tabletop drop-weight machine will certainly pay for itself eventually (within only a year or two) and even furnish you with a few extra bucks if you do some stringing for your pals.

My machine stows away in a box with no problem when I'm not using it and there's no more guesswork from someone else concerning my string layouts. I have them absolutely dialed in the way I like them all the time. When I pop a string now, it actually makes me smile a little because that frame is going to have fresh ropes!

For now, you may be limited by whatever your joker... I mean "stringer" has in stock. Prince does have a thicker 15 gauge syn. gut that I'm looking to try out really soon - if your guy has that, you might want to try it. Otherwise I think you'd be smart to sample a different brand of 16 ga. syn. gut to see how the service life compares.

One caution: lots of players these days are using poly strings either in complete sets or in hybrids. Those strings are tough, but there's a serious downside to consider. They are notoriously harder on the elbow, etc. and they also go dead long before they physically break. Some of the average players around where I live have either been talked into using poly or have decided to try it on their own, but the thing is that they not only don't need it, they're also getting charged a lot more for it. Proceed with caution down that road.

Another option for a tougher string is kevlar - yep, that bulletproof stuff. Some players like it for durability and use it in their mains with a softer cross. Prince's example of this is their ProBlend set. The same caution applies with the kevlar - it's unresilient. If you try it, tell your stringer to install the kevlar component of your strings at significantly lower tension than the crosses in the same way it's done with a poly hybrid.

Cheers!!!

MJHendrickson21
02-04-2010, 06:54 AM
Yeah stringing with Prince Synthetic Gut (one of the worst strings out there) at 62 lbs is going to break easy. And Kick Serve 14 is right; with the racquet your playing with is going to shred those easy. For a piece of junk string like that you should not be paying more than $27.00. Do a hybrid string like a poly in the mains and something softer in the crosses. Remember when you string with poly remember to string 10% less than normal.