PDA

View Full Version : Did Guga use the same side of the racquet face when hitting groundstrokes?

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
04-28-2005, 04:22 PM
Did Guga use the same side of the racquet face when hitting groundstrokes? It's a possibility considering he used an extreme semi-western forehand grip that would correspond to an extreme eastern one-handed backhand grip.

splink779
04-28-2005, 04:39 PM
Did? You mean does right? He's still playing thankfully. Yes I think this is so.

ragnaROK
04-28-2005, 05:05 PM
Oh really? I always thought he tweaked it a little bit on the backhand side. That's awesome if that's the case, I do the same thing. Although my backhand looks nothing like his. Sometimes when I'm feeling good on returns, i keep my grip in the forehand Western so I can use the same grip and same side head on returns. I'm really hoping to see some inspired tennis from Guga this year, I just love watching the guy hit.

juu
04-28-2005, 07:16 PM
Guga does, I think.

I also use the same extreme western/eastern grip on both forehand and backhand. Not sure if it's good or bad for me and whether I should move to a continental one-handed backhand.

35ft6
04-29-2005, 03:36 AM
I don't know if he does. That's something I feel like I would have noticed a long time ago.

My grips are pretty extreme, too, so tried doing that for a while, but it felt too weird. It would have taken a long long long time to feel natural with it.

FiveO
04-29-2005, 03:50 AM
I don't think Guga does. I think former FO finalist Alberto Berasategui did.

tennisnj
04-29-2005, 05:26 AM
I second that notion FiveO, I do recall Berasategui using the same side to hit his groundies. I remember watching the French Open final & him beating Agassi @ the Aussie Open.

Lambsscroll
04-29-2005, 05:46 AM
I also have the same grip on both sides but its easier for me to set up my grip on the forehand side than the backhand side. I guess I can run around the baseline with the grip already set but it just feels odd running around like that.

YEMntFtb
04-29-2005, 10:24 AM
Guga does not use the same grip on both sides and the same face, its not possible. He uses his left hand on both the forehand and back hands to put his right hand in position on the racquet. Watch the clips on tennisone.com

paulfreda
04-29-2005, 07:52 PM
I think Guga mostly does use the same side, but not always. Going from BH to FH he does, but not always going FH to BH.

And I though Berasatagui won the French; he was not just a finalist. True ?

I use SW on both sides and hit with the same side after first watching Guga do it way back in '97. I tweek the FH side a bit and fan it open on the BH side like Guga. Works great for me.

YEMntFtb
04-30-2005, 04:41 AM
Guga does not simply just use the same face on his groundies. He slightly moves his grip for the forehand and backhand, he can't just simply use the same grip for each shot.

erik-the-red
04-30-2005, 06:22 AM
He probably does use the same face.

On clay, he's western for the forehand and semi-western / extreme eastern for the backhand. A minor grip change allows you to hit with the same face.

FiveO
04-30-2005, 06:41 AM
I took a look at alot, but not all, the clips of Guga at tennis.one. To my surprise, Guga does use the same side of the racquet face, at least some of the time.

Changing grips from fh to bh, Guga does a slight but conventional "grip change".

On at least some, but not all bh's, Guga returns to the ready position with the same racquet face he just hit the bh with, in line w/ his palm or fh position. He doesn't do it every time but on at least a portion of them.

paulfreda,

1994 Berasategui lost to Brugera in the final of the FO, it was his best finish there.