PDA

View Full Version : the flexbars - do they really work???

jimanuel12
02-04-2010, 05:48 AM
i went ahead and purchased one of the flexbars for tennis elbow, have not received it yet. i ordered the green one first, do they really help?
wanted some feed back from people who have actually used them.

mikeler
02-04-2010, 07:10 AM
i went ahead and purchased one of the flexbars for tennis elbow, have not received it yet. i ordered the green one first, do they really help?

I've been using mine for GE now for 2 weeks. It seems to be helping since I've been able to keep playing singles albeit with a 3/4 pace first serve.

kslick
02-04-2010, 08:26 AM
It seems to be helping, once I started doing the exercises correct. I was doing them to fast. Once i slowed down I could tell an improvement. I also did a few other things as well. Like adding lead tape and making my racquet more HL. So could be a combo.

charliefedererer
02-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Thankfully, I haven't been bothered by golfer's/tennis elbow. But I definitely think my Flexbar blue works out forearm muscles in a different way than wrist curls/reverse curls. The rotational force is unique, and seems worthwhile doing to help prevent injury. I finally got my flexbar when chess9 posted he suddenly got elbow problems from one freak mishit. I would just as son learn from the lessons of others rather than have to go through every tennis injury myself.

mikeler
02-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Thankfully, I haven't been bothered by golfer's/tennis elbow. But I definitely think my Flexbar blue works out forearm muscles in a different way than wrist curls/reverse curls. The rotational force is unique, and seems worthwhile doing to help prevent injury. I finally got my flexbar when chess9 posted he suddenly got elbow problems from one freak mishit. I would just as son learn from the lessons of others rather than have to go through every tennis injury myself.

Yes, it does work the areas in a unique way. In addition to the forward and reverse wrist curls, I'm also doing triceps extensions.

SystemicAnomaly
02-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Flex bars! They taste any good? Do they come in a dark chocolate flavor?

dancemyth
02-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Yes, the flexbars work. It's really not magical. The concept of "eccentric" exercising in order to rehab tendonitis is well-established. (this means exercising a tendon by starting with it contracted and then letting it extend under load). Google achilles tendonitis and you'll find that the best-established exercise for rehabbing achilles tendonitis is to stand on your toe on a stair and then lower your heel below the stair and to repeat this 100-150 times a day. This is exactly the same principle that the "tyler twist" uses to rehab TE and the "reverse tyler twist" uses to rehab golfer's elbow.

Tina
02-04-2010, 05:15 PM
Any particular Brand for Flexbars?

mikeler
02-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Any particular Brand for Flexbars?

Thera-Band. Assuming you are a woman by your user name, consider the easier red or green ones and then work your way up to the blue ones. The main thing is that you don't want to feel pain doing the exercise. This is not a muscle group you are working, it is a tendon.

Tina
02-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Thera-Band. Assuming you are a woman by your user name, consider the easier red or green ones and then work your way up to the blue ones. The main thing is that you don't want to feel pain doing the exercise. This is not a muscle group you are working, it is a tendon.

Thanks for the Info. Yes, 100% pure woman.

mikeler
02-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the Info. Yes, 100% pure woman.

Haha. I think it will definitely help you. Good luck!

yemenmocha
02-04-2010, 08:31 PM
You can do the same range of motion with a dumbbell that does pretty much the same thing, but of course you have to remember to assist on the concentric range of motion and only allow the injured arm to do the work on the eccentric.

jimanuel12
02-05-2010, 04:57 AM

thanks to all who posted. i had read that they do help, once you have healed up a little.
rehab time is about 2 weeks from what i have read, before you begin to feel the difference.

rehab time?????

jimanuel12
02-05-2010, 05:39 AM
I've been using mine for GE now for 2 weeks. It seems to be helping since I've been able to keep playing singles albeit with a 3/4 pace first serve.

i saw on a previous post where you have been using the flexbar for about 3 weeks now, can you tell a remarkable difference?

mikeler
02-05-2010, 09:22 AM
i saw on a previous post where you have been using the flexbar for about 3 weeks now, can you tell a remarkable difference?

I've played about 6 singles matches the past 2 weeks and I can say my elbow almost feels like it did after I took the cortisone pills in September (of course the pain came back a few weeks later). I probably mentioned in the other thread that I'm doing forward and reverse wrist curls and triceps extensions in addition to the flexbar.

It's so cheap, just buy a red or green one to start out with. If it hurts to do the exercise just wait until you can do it without pain.

volusiano
02-09-2010, 12:36 AM
I got TE last November from overuse. Got the green and blue FlexBar. Rested up for a few weeks and began doing the exercises with the green one while resting. Got back to playing in December when the TE was about 80% better. Kept doing the exercises 3 times a day even after resuming tennis. Now after 2 months of doing the exercises, TE is probably 95% better. Now if I feel a little sore on the elbow after a match, I'd rest and do the exercises the day after and I'm good to go the following day again for tennis. I can do the heavy blue bar with no problem now. The hard part about doing the blue bar isn't so much the stress on the elbow anymore. The hard part is to maintain the grips on both hands on the blue bar and not allow the grips to slip.

jimanuel12
02-10-2010, 08:04 AM

my flexbar came in, i will begin to use it (the green one) and let everyone know how my progress is.
i have had TE for 9 months now, it is better but not back to 100%.
hope the flexbar helps, will let you know

mikeler
02-10-2010, 11:48 AM
my flexbar came in, i will begin to use it (the green one) and let everyone know how my progress is.

The only day I don't use the flexbar is the 1 day I play after work during the week. That is because I have iced my arm down and by the time I get home and get settled in, my elbow is not fully warm so I'm afraid to do it. When I play in the morning, I always do the exercises that night.

MayDay
02-10-2010, 10:46 PM
Didn't someone mention that you can do the exact same exercise with a can of coke?

I can't find the old thread anymore....

jimanuel12
02-11-2010, 05:57 AM

did the first exercises last nite, a little uncomfortable but no pain.
after the exercises, a little pain in the arm, but it went away after a hour or so.
will start out once per day, and see how it goes, then to twice a day and so on.
i started out with the green one, my dr said the red one was going to be too easy since i had already been doing hand and wrist exercises for quite some time now.
will keep you all updated.

mikeler
02-11-2010, 06:17 AM
did the first exercises last nite, a little uncomfortable but no pain.
after the exercises, a little pain in the arm, but it went away after a hour or so.
will start out once per day, and see how it goes, then to twice a day and so on.
i started out with the green one, my dr said the red one was going to be too easy since i had already been doing hand and wrist exercises for quite some time now.

I've been doing 3 sets of 15 at night. Not sure if there is any rhyme or reason to it, just convenience I guess.

kslick
02-11-2010, 06:36 AM
I've been doing 3 sets of 15 at night. Not sure if there is any rhyme or reason to it, just convenience I guess.

When I'm home all day I do 1 set of 15 three times a day. If not I do 3 sets of 15 at night. I'm not sure if their is a specific guideline or not. Sometimes I'll ice afterward but for some reason when I ice it doesn't feel as good if I don't ice. I know odd.

mikeler
02-11-2010, 07:21 AM
When I'm home all day I do 1 set of 15 three times a day. If not I do 3 sets of 15 at night. I'm not sure if their is a specific guideline or not. Sometimes I'll ice afterward but for some reason when I ice it doesn't feel as good if I don't ice. I know odd.

I'm still icing afterwards. I'm hoping that icing may not be a part of my routine in a few weeks.

jimanuel12
02-15-2010, 08:40 AM
I'm still icing afterwards. I'm hoping that icing may not be a part of my routine in a few weeks.

so far so good, no pain, a little uncomfortable at first, but seems to be getting a little better.
been going from 2-3 times a day - 15 repetions.
will keep you updated - so far - no ice needed.

KenC
02-17-2010, 10:55 AM
I bought the red one and the green one about two weeks ago for my wife who has had TE since the summer. In this short time she has noticed a drop in pain. The red one seems to be working for her.

A hitting buddy came down with it last week and took the week off but did a lesson today and now is in a good deal of pain. He is now icing it and will see his doctor tomorrow. I could give him the green one now, or should he wait until some of the pain goes away before he starts the exercise?

mikeler
02-17-2010, 11:12 AM
I bought the red one and the green one about two weeks ago for my wife who has had TE since the summer. In this short time she has noticed a drop in pain. The red one seems to be working for her.

A hitting buddy came down with it last week and took the week off but did a lesson today and now is in a good deal of pain. He is now icing it and will see his doctor tomorrow. I could give him the green one now, or should he wait until some of the pain goes away before he starts the exercise?

With this injury, you should be virtually pain free when you do the exercise. I don't think it would be a good idea to give him your flexbar just yet. Just my 2 cents.

mikeler
02-17-2010, 11:13 AM
so far so good, no pain, a little uncomfortable at first, but seems to be getting a little better.

Glad to hear. I have not played since Sunday. Last night was the first night I did not use ice. Today was the first morning I did not use ice either. I play tomorrow, so I'll still ice directly after the match as a precaution.

jimanuel12
02-17-2010, 11:37 AM

day five - good so far, it is slow going, the arm is a little uncomfortable with the exercises, but not painful.
i guess it will just take some time.
when i start to play again, i am still going to use the elbow brace for a long time, maybe forever. i never want to go through this again, i would not wish this one anyone.

KenC
02-17-2010, 11:08 PM
With this injury, you should be virtually pain free when you do the exercise. I don't think it would be a good idea to give him your flexbar just yet. Just my 2 cents.

OK, thanks!

strcmp
02-18-2010, 03:54 AM
So would you guys recommend the green (medium) one to a male of avg strength? (150 lbs, 5'10) Or just jump straight to the blue (heavy) one?

Hoping not to get one that's too easy or too hard and will last me for some time.

mikeler
02-18-2010, 04:17 AM
So would you guys recommend the green (medium) one to a male of avg strength? (150 lbs, 5'10) Or just jump straight to the blue (heavy) one?

Hoping not to get one that's too easy or too hard and will last me for some time.

Is it Tennis Elbow or Golfer's Elbow? If TE, start with the green because the exercise is a little bit harder to do. I have GE and bought the Green and Blue. The green was too easy for me but I'm also stocky.

strcmp
02-18-2010, 04:33 AM
Is it Tennis Elbow or Golfer's Elbow? If TE, start with the green because the exercise is a little bit harder to do. I have GE and bought the Green and Blue. The green was too easy for me but I'm also stocky.

It's for TE..

Also just wondering if you guys have any recommendations on where to buy the flexbar for the best price + shipping?

jimanuel12
02-18-2010, 06:52 AM
Glad to hear. I have not played since Sunday. Last night was the first night I did not use ice. Today was the first morning I did not use ice either. I play tomorrow, so I'll still ice directly after the match as a precaution.

i meant to ask you, how long have you been doing the exercises?
you started out with the green, i think?
two days ago, AFTER, doing the exercises, the next day my arm killed me. it did not hurt during the exercises, but i laid off doing them again yesterday because the arm hurts so bad.
is this normal reaction after starting the exercises?

mikeler
02-18-2010, 07:04 AM
i meant to ask you, how long have you been doing the exercises?
you started out with the green, i think?
two days ago, AFTER, doing the exercises, the next day my arm killed me. it did not hurt during the exercises, but i laid off doing them again yesterday because the arm hurts so bad.
is this normal reaction after starting the exercises?

I think I've had them for about 3 weeks, maybe a little longer. The flexbar rarely causes me any pain. The triceps extensions I do with the 4 pound weights in each hand were causing me a little pain a few weeks ago, but after a few reps everything stretched out and all was good. The forward and reverse wrist curls I do I never experienced any pain.

mike53
02-18-2010, 08:15 AM
jim,

Six weeks after injury, I still get forearm pain in the GE area of my hitting arm after any kind of strenuous exercise activity, even running if you can believe that. I ice it for 20 minutes every day after exercise.

athiker
02-18-2010, 08:48 AM
It's for TE..

Also just wondering if you guys have any recommendations on where to buy the flexbar for the best price + shipping?

The best I found when including shipping was www.ptmart.com

Looking at my receipt I paid $13.50 green, $16.50 blue and $8.61 total shipping for $38.61 all in. This was in late December.

athiker
02-18-2010, 09:09 AM

I'm male 6' 195lbs and have both green and blue and use the green for TE. I do both the TE and GE exercises...which basically is doing the TE for the right elbow and then the TE for the left elbow...just for balance.

I gave the blue to a friend to use. Its considerably stiffer. I could use it but I can do a full range easier with the green. I don't think this is something you want to try to max out the pressure on while you still have pain/tenderness. My elbow still has some tenderness, but is much, much better than it was. I believe it has been a combination of playing less due to winter, form correction and exercise. I plan to keep doing the exercises b/c I never want to go back to how it was.

I keep the Flexbar right by my desk and do the exercises whenever the thought crosses my mind. I try to do reps at least 3x per day. I also use Therabands for my shoulder. I keep those hanging on a coat rack by the front door where I can quickly loop an end over the stair newel. The more in sight I keep stuff the more often I use them. We bought a treadmill at our old house and my wife wanted it in the bedroom, but we put it right in the family room! I knew that was the only way it would get used.

Tina
02-18-2010, 09:11 AM
I'm male 6' 195lbs and have both green and blue and use the green for TE. I do both the TE and GE exercises...which basically is doing the TE for the right elbow and then the TE for the left elbow...just for balance.

I gave the blue to a friend to use. Its considerably stiffer. I could use it but I can do a full range easier with the green. I don't think this is something you want to try to max out the pressure on while you still have pain/tenderness. My elbow still has some tenderness, but is much, much better than it was. I believe it has been a combination of playing less due to winter, form correction and exercise. I plan to keep doing the exercises b/c I never want to go back to how it was.

I keep the Flexbar right by my desk and do the exercises whenever the thought crosses my mind. I try to do reps at least 3x per day. I also use Therabands for my shoulder. I keep those hanging on a coat rack by the front door where I can quickly loop an end over the stair newel. The more in sight I keep stuff the more often I use them. We bought a treadmill at our old house and my wife wanted it in the bedroom, but we put it right in the family room! I knew that was the only way it would get used.

It's a good idea. I should put one in my office as well. Thanks for sharing. -Tina

Nigel Mellish
02-19-2010, 05:33 PM
So I have TE. It sucks. Took 3 weeks off, and still had a tough time at tonights clinic.

I had started doing the green, but after the 10th or so, I had some discomfort. Should I twist right through the discomfort, or stop immediately.

I'm afraid that if it hurts when I twist, I'm re-tearing the tendon.

mikeler
02-19-2010, 05:40 PM
So I have TE. It sucks. Took 3 weeks off, and still had a tough time at tonights clinic.

I had started doing the green, but after the 10th or so, I had some discomfort. Should I twist right through the discomfort, or stop immediately.

I'm afraid that if it hurts when I twist, I'm re-tearing the tendon.

NOOOOOOOO. If it hurts, stop immediately.

mikeler
02-19-2010, 05:43 PM
I tweaked my elbow last night. Throwing the ball out wide for a slice serve is still not something I can do. I only tried it once but that was enough! So I iced it last night. It was stiff this morning, which made me think about testing it with the green flexbar which I don't use normally. The first few iterations it was still stiff but it did stretch out and I was fine after that.

I stopped wearing my air cast and have just been doing the compressive sleeve, but I think that is too tight for me. Once I took it off last night, my elbow felt much better.

Nigel Mellish
02-19-2010, 05:44 PM
@mike - thanks.

So there's just no rehabbing TE beyond ice and rest, eh?

mikeler
02-19-2010, 05:47 PM
@mike - thanks.

So there's just no rehabbing TE beyond ice and rest, eh?

I tried cortisone pills but kept playing tennis and my GE came back. A few months later, I tried ultrasonic and electrostimulation therapy. It took 10 sessions or so, but it definitely helped get me back on the court. I did not play tennis at all while I did that therapy.

jimanuel12
02-23-2010, 09:17 AM
day five - good so far, it is slow going, the arm is a little uncomfortable with the exercises, but not painful.
i guess it will just take some time.
when i start to play again, i am still going to use the elbow brace for a long time, maybe forever. i never want to go through this again, i would not wish this one anyone.

i had to stop the green flex bar, it began to hurt my arm really bad, i have ordered a red one, will start out with it and go to the green after no pain with the red one.
will keep you posted.

mikeler
02-23-2010, 10:12 AM
i had to stop the green flex bar, it began to hurt my arm really bad, i have ordered a red one, will start out with it and go to the green after no pain with the red one.
will keep you posted.

Dang that sucks. Hopefully the red one is a good fit for you.

jimanuel12
02-24-2010, 04:36 AM

when i started with the green one, i thought it was a bit too strong to start out with.
but anyway, i should get my red one tomorrow and will start with it and work my way up to the green one.
i am hoping that by the time the weather here is good enough to play, my arm will be in good shape.
keeping my fingers crossed.

mark999
02-25-2010, 05:51 PM
i would suggest 2 things to try. first, make sure you warm up your elbow before starting, sounds simple but it really helped me. i use the flex bar to warm up this way, hold the flexbar in front with arms extended, then forward twist the injured arm at the wrist (think of wringing out a wet towel). the second suggestion is to bend the arm at the elbow, this lessens the stretching of the tendon. i would just twist far enough until i felt a little pain, then i would back off that pain point and continue the exercise. in this way i slowly increased the stretching of the tendon over a period of several weeks and my tennis elbow pain is very slowly decreasing. i can now hold out my arms straight and do the exercise as demonstrated in the tyler twist video.

jimanuel12
02-26-2010, 04:26 AM

got the red flex bar yesterday and started with the exercises.
did 3 times yesterday 15 reps.
did not hurt this time, a little sore this morning but i think that is to be expected.
so far, so good.
maybe by the time this sucky weather is better, i will be able to play without pain this year.
will keep you posted.

jimanuel12
02-26-2010, 04:29 AM
i meant to tell you that my arms are little (always had skinny arms) and i think i started off with the green one and it was too strong.
hopefully i will be able to play without pain this year.

mikeler
02-26-2010, 04:40 AM
i meant to tell you that my arms are little (always had skinny arms) and i think i started off with the green one and it was too strong.
hopefully i will be able to play without pain this year.

Gotcha. I have pretty big forearms. Back in high school I measured the diameter of my right forearm which is my playing arm. I forget what the measurement was but it was the same as Evander Holyfield!

LameTennisPlayer
02-26-2010, 05:20 AM
Gotcha. I have pretty big forearms. Back in high school I measured the diameter of my right forearm which is my playing arm. I forget what the measurement was but it was the same as Evander Holyfield!

apparently holyfield has the smallest........in boxing; is this true?

charliefedererer
02-26-2010, 05:39 AM
Mikeler,
Earlier in this thread, you mentioned that you do triceps extensions as well as wrist curls in addtion to the Flexbar exercises. Is this the best combination of exercises to prevent recurrence of golfer's and tennis elbow? That is, as good as the Flexbar is in adding the unique rotational forces for muscle strengthening from the Tyler Twist, do the other strengthing exercises still add quite a bit to your forearm strength, better resisting the shock and twisting forces from striking the ball and resisting the racquet's momentum that are thought to be the causes of TE/GE?

mikeler
02-26-2010, 05:49 AM
apparently holyfield has the smallest........in boxing; is this true?

C'mon give me my moment to shine! :)

mikeler
02-26-2010, 05:54 AM
Mikeler,
Do you think building up the forearms with dumbell wrist curls, reverse curls and pronation/supination exercises would be complementary to the flexbar in helping to prevent recurrence? I would think the stronger the forearm muscles, the better they could resist "twisting forces" generated from the racquet's momentum and the "shock forces" transmitted from hitting the ball. It seems these twisting and shock forces are what causes the repeated stress at the elbow area tendon insertion that causes tennis and golfer's elbow.
Clearly the Tyler Twist is a unique exercise to the Flexbar, but do you think the addition of the dumbell exercises AFTER all pain has gone away is usefull as well?

My answer to your question is Yes. Below is the current routine I perform 6 nights a week. The night I don't do it is after I play a night match during the week. The 4 steps below I repeat 3 times:

1. Reverse Tyler Twist with the blue bar - 15 reps
2. Tricep extensions behind my head with 4 lbs in each hand - 15 reps
3. Forward wrist curls with 4 lbs in each hand - 15 reps
4. Reverse wrist curls with 4 lbs in each hand - 15 reps

I've numbered the exercises in the order I do them but I also would apply those same numbers to the importance of each exercise for my GE.

charliefedererer
02-26-2010, 06:02 AM
My answer to your question is Yes. Below is the current routine I perform 6 nights a week. The night I don't do it is after I play a night match during the week. The 4 steps below I repeat 3 times:

I've numbered the exercises in the order I do them but I also would apply those same numbers to the importance of each exercise for my GE.

Thanks for info. I realize the thread is about the Flexbars, and you list them as the most important of the exercises, but that a combination of exercises probably is best at preventing tennis/golfer's elbow recurrence.

charliefedererer
02-26-2010, 06:06 AM
C'mon give me my moment to shine! :)

http://sccct.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/evander-holyfield.jpg

Maybe I'm easily impressed, but if your forearms are like Evander's, I'd say they were pretty good.

mikeler
02-26-2010, 06:11 AM
Thanks for info. I realize the thread is about the Flexbars, and you list them as the most important of the exercises, but that a combination of exercises probably is best at preventing tennis/golfer's elbow recurrence.

Yep, that is a good summary.

mikeler
02-26-2010, 06:12 AM
Maybe I'm easily impressed, but if your forearms are like Evander's, I'd say they were pretty good.

If only the rest of my body was built like his!

ferb55
02-26-2010, 06:29 AM
Great thread guys. Thank you.

Tina
02-26-2010, 09:52 AM
I tweaked my elbow last night. Throwing the ball out wide for a slice serve is still not something I can do. I only tried it once but that was enough! So I iced it last night. It was stiff this morning, which made me think about testing it with the green flexbar which I don't use normally. The first few iterations it was still stiff but it did stretch out and I was fine after that.

I stopped wearing my air cast and have just been doing the compressive sleeve, but I think that is too tight for me. Once I took it off last night, my elbow felt much better.

How often do you play tennis? Twice a week, Two hours each play? Thanks.

mikeler
02-26-2010, 10:01 AM
How often do you play tennis? Twice a week, Two hours each play? Thanks.

Three times per week about 2 hours each time since I started playing full time again about a month ago.

Standupnfall
02-26-2010, 11:04 AM
Just ordered a green Flexbar for $20 shipped. I'm 31 and have pretty strong hands, wrists and arms so I bypassed the red and went for the green off the bat. I also don't think I have TE but occasionally get a touch of soreness and my job invoves repetitive work on a keyboard and lifting.

After reading several articles about eccentric exercises I was very intrigued and started to add some to my routine with exercise bands. I noticed my shoulders feel and look stronger and have less discomfort than ever. My backhand has also become twice as stable as before.

Cant wait to add the Flexbar to my "gym"

mark999
02-26-2010, 12:22 PM

have you ever tried the forearm curl with a rope? seems to work same muscles as the flexbar to some extent. really strengthens the forearms.

mikeler
02-26-2010, 12:31 PM
^^^ Having a hard time picturing the rope exercise.

mikeler
02-26-2010, 12:32 PM
^^^ Having a hard time picturing the rope exercise.

Edit: Nevermind, I get it now.

Tina
02-26-2010, 02:27 PM
Just ordered a green Flexbar for $20 shipped. I'm 31 and have pretty strong hands, wrists and arms so I bypassed the red and went for the green off the bat. I also don't think I have TE but occasionally get a touch of soreness and my job invoves repetitive work on a keyboard and lifting.

After reading several articles about eccentric exercises I was very intrigued and started to add some to my routine with exercise bands. I noticed my shoulders feel and look stronger and have less discomfort than ever. My backhand has also become twice as stable as before.

Cant wait to add the Flexbar to my "gym"

Please copy and paste the titles of articles or links here (if you don't mind). Thanks. -Tina

Tina
02-26-2010, 02:30 PM

Can you recommend me several arm-friendly rackets for a beginner besides Prince rackets? Any idea about Yonex? Thanks.

mark999
02-26-2010, 06:41 PM

pretty simple. you need a weight tied to a wooden bar with a rope. hold the bar in front and roll up the weight using your wrists. i keep the bar at shoulder height with arms very slightly bent. add weight as you progress.

charliefedererer
02-27-2010, 06:32 AM
Can you recommend me several arm-friendly rackets for a beginner besides Prince rackets? Any idea about Yonex? Thanks.

Do yourself a favor and read the following links about racquet selection:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/SelectingRacquet.html
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=160692

The bottom line is to select a 95-100 inch head that has a stiffness (or flexibility rating) in the low 60's (the lower the better for your arm) and is the heaviest racquet you can easily swing and play with (the more mass in the frame, the better shock absorbtion). Stay away from any frame that is advertised as super oversized, super light, or power producing.

Yonex does make some nice frames that may fit your racquet weight requirements. Prokennex, Dunlop, and Volkl racquets in general are relatively flexible, but be sure to check that stiffness/flex rating as it does vary on different models. Most Babolat frames are too stiff. Wilson and Head have big product lines with varying degrees of stiffness. You may want to review posts on the racquet section of this forum.

My bias is for "beginner's" to use at least a "tweener" racquet to help develop good stroke mechanics. Tennis is all about topspin. You need topspin, and not just gravity, to bring the ball down into the court as you hit it harder and harder. Too powerful a racquet will cause a trampoline effect that will give you negative feedback, telling you that hitting harder will result in the balls flying long, and not let you develop the topspin strokes you will need to advance.

And don't get too concerned about finding the perfect racquet right now. By the end of the summer, if you are playing a lot, your game will have changed and you will find yourself in a never ending quest for the ultimate frame.

mikeler
02-27-2010, 07:56 AM

The only two arm friendly sticks I've tried are the Volkyl C10 and my current Babolat Pure Storm Tours. Hit with the C10 just for 5 minutes and you can actually feel it bend. In general though, Babolat is not known to make arm friendly frames.

Tina
02-28-2010, 07:16 PM
Do yourself a favor and read the following links about racquet selection:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/SelectingRacquet.html
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=160692

The bottom line is to select a 95-100 inch head that has a stiffness (or flexibility rating) in the low 60's (the lower the better for your arm) and is the heaviest racquet you can easily swing and play with (the more mass in the frame, the better shock absorbtion). Stay away from any frame that is advertised as super oversized, super light, or power producing.

Yonex does make some nice frames that may fit your racquet weight requirements. Prokennex, Dunlop, and Volkl racquets in general are relatively flexible, but be sure to check that stiffness/flex rating as it does vary on different models. Most Babolat frames are too stiff. Wilson and Head have big product lines with varying degrees of stiffness. You may want to review posts on the racquet section of this forum.

My bias is for "beginner's" to use at least a "tweener" racquet to help develop good stroke mechanics. Tennis is all about topspin. You need topspin, and not just gravity, to bring the ball down into the court as you hit it harder and harder. Too powerful a racquet will cause a trampoline effect that will give you negative feedback, telling you that hitting harder will result in the balls flying long, and not let you develop the topspin strokes you will need to advance.

And don't get too concerned about finding the perfect racquet right now. By the end of the summer, if you are playing a lot, your game will have changed and you will find yourself in a never ending quest for the ultimate frame.

Thank you so much for your detailed information. Have a pleasant evening! -Tina

Tina
02-28-2010, 07:17 PM
The only two arm friendly sticks I've tried are the Volkyl C10 and my current Babolat Pure Storm Tours. Hit with the C10 just for 5 minutes and you can actually feel it bend. In general though, Babolat is not known to make arm friendly frames.

Thank you for the message. Have a great evening! -Tina

KenC
02-28-2010, 09:47 PM
^^Hey Tina, Charliefederer brings up a good point. It should be fine to start with a tweener racquet if you have TE problems, but a newbie would need a little more help getting the ball across the net. I see two ways to do that.

First, spend a couple hours with a teaching pro and a ball machine to learn how to put a little body weight behind groundstrokes instead of using the joints, as in elbow and wrist, to hit the ball.

Second, string a tweener racquet with very low tension. This adds power and a lot of comfort on impact. 45 lbs isn't that loose and actually plays fairly well. As your strokes improve and you are adding more power, just up the tension a bit.

A great tweener racquet for women with TE would be the 295g Pro Kennex 5i racquet.

charliefedererer
03-01-2010, 04:45 AM
^^Hey Tina, Charliefederer brings up a good point. It should be fine to start with a tweener racquet if you have TE problems, but a newbie would need a little more help getting the ball across the net. I see two ways to do that.

First, spend a couple hours with a teaching pro and a ball machine to learn how to put a little body weight behind groundstrokes instead of using the joints, as in elbow and wrist, to hit the ball.

Second, string a tweener racquet with very low tension. This adds power and a lot of comfort on impact. 45 lbs isn't that loose and actually plays fairly well. As your strokes improve and you are adding more power, just up the tension a bit.

A great tweener racquet for women with TE would be the 295g Pro Kennex 5i racquet.

That lower tension is a good suggestion, as it will provide more power, be kinder on the arm/elbow, and it enlarges the sweet spot. As your stroke gets more powerful you can raise the tension a bit for less power/more control. And you can stick with the same frame you have gotten used to as you gradually increase the tension over time along with your more powerful strokes.

And of course good technique, which can be learned from a pro, is perhaps the most important element to prevent overuse tennis injuries.

jimanuel12
03-01-2010, 05:09 AM

i have completed my first week with the red flexbar, it is showing improvement. the green one was too strong for me to start out with, my arms are really skinny and small, so the red one was the best for me.
3 times per day, 15 reps each time, so far, showing some signs of improvement, no pain with the exercises.
will keep you posted.

larry10s
03-01-2010, 06:06 AM
If only the rest of my body was built like his!

how are your ears??

mikeler
03-01-2010, 09:24 AM
how are your ears??

Normal:):):):)

jimanuel12
03-03-2010, 12:01 PM

completed about 10 days with the red flexbar, so far, seems to be helping.
anyone else start out the red? if so, how is it doing or coming along?

mikeler
03-03-2010, 12:09 PM
completed about 10 days with the red flexbar, so far, seems to be helping.
anyone else start out the red? if so, how is it doing or coming along?

My toddler is currently using the red one. :) Glad to hear you are strengthening those tendons without pain.

Standupnfall
03-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Ive been using the green for 2 days now.
2 reps of 10-15 Tyler Twists
2 reps of 10-15 Reverse Tyler Twists
Each exercise in the book for either 2 reps of 5-10, or 2 reps of ~1 min for the non rep type exercises.

I feel a marked increase in arm and hand strength/ life :)

I respond very quickly to strengthening excercises.
I do not or have not had TE and do not wish to get it.

supineAnimation
03-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Bought one a couple of weeks ago. I love it. Great workout for the arm.

jimanuel12
03-07-2010, 02:47 PM

going on two weeks now with the red flexbar, that thing is great, my arm feels so much better.
so far, so good!!!!

mikeler
03-07-2010, 03:18 PM
going on two weeks now with the red flexbar, that thing is great, my arm feels so much better.
so far, so good!!!!

Great to hear. You can really tell a difference after a few weeks with it.

sidzej
03-18-2010, 05:40 AM
Do you use flexbar a few minutes before playing tennis (to stretch the tendon a bit)?

I am currently testing it, as a kind of stretching exercise and so far so good. Tendon gets a bit of exercise before the game and is "ready" for some real shocks coming off the racquet :)

JackB1
03-18-2010, 05:44 AM
Do you use flexbar a few minutes before playing tennis (to stretch the tendon a bit)?

I am currently testing it, as a kind of stretching exercise and so far so good. Tendon gets a bit of exercise before the game and is "ready" for some real shocks coming off the racquet :)

I was also wondering the same thing. Is it good to use it before playing to stretch out the tendon first? Another I have starting doing, which helps, is to use one of these hot/cold wraps you heat up in the microwave for a minute and I put the warm wrap on my elbow while I am on my way to the match. That way my elbow is warm before I start doing anything with it.

charliefedererer
03-18-2010, 04:55 PM

Hmm. Interesting. I like and need a dynamic warmup and longer hitting period before I play. But I know that many play on courts with a strict time limit, especially indoors. I've actually used elastic tubing to warm up my arm quickly if I'm running late and there is a fixed match starting time. Maybe the flexbar would be a good addition.

mikeler
03-19-2010, 04:09 AM
I never thought about doing the flexbar right before I played. Maybe I'll give it a shot. My current routine is to use a heating pad for about 20 minutes on my car ride to the courts. That seems to help some as a previous poster stated.

I'm starting to get calluses on my off hand when using the flexbar doing the GE exercise only. Anyone else experiencing this? Kind of hurt at first, but now that the calluses are there it is not a big deal.

kslick
03-19-2010, 07:08 AM
I never thought about doing the flexbar right before I played. Maybe I'll give it a shot. My current routine is to use a heating pad for about 20 minutes on my car ride to the courts. That seems to help some as a previous poster stated.

I'm starting to get calluses on my off hand when using the flexbar doing the GE exercise only. Anyone else experiencing this? Kind of hurt at first, but now that the calluses are there it is not a big deal.

Yes I have calluses on my palm but nothing for my off hand. my hands were more sore at first but finally they are getting use to it.

Standupnfall
03-19-2010, 09:21 AM
I ride mountain bikes up to 6 hours a week so the callouses are already there but my forearms and wrists are getting really ripped/strong from using the green flexbar.

As I stated earlier I do all the exercises listed in the included pamphlet

jimanuel12
03-25-2010, 09:20 AM

about 4 weeks now with the red flex bar and it does make a difference. 3 times per day - 15 repeitions.
arm is much better and hope to play my first tennis next week if the weather is good.
this things really seem to work.

MayDay
03-25-2010, 02:08 PM
For warm-up before tennis, I use a dynaflex/nsd powerball.

dennis1188
03-25-2010, 09:43 PM
This info about preventing tennis-elbow also works for wrist problem.
I use a made in China metal coil/spring (w/pvc handgrips aka small metal flexbar) can be

bought cheap atr hk local sports shops and (china products) store.
BTW u can focus exercise on the forearm and shoulder areas w/ a small flex bar .

cheers, dennis

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/25/phys-ed-an-easy-fix-for-tennis-elbow/

dman72
03-26-2010, 05:12 AM
Got the blue flexbar via UPS yesterday. I've never had TE for more than a day until last weekend, when I stupidly took my vibe damps off played a 2 hour match.

My anecdotal study says that anyone who tells you that vibe damps have no effect on TE are full of it. In my case, same racquet, same balls, same length of play, same guy I've played 20 times, I've never had serious TE, by the end of 2 hours arm was killing me and I almost couldn't finish my league match on Wednesday because of pain.

So now the league is off for a week, I'm not playing at all and I"m starting the exercises.

JackB1
03-26-2010, 05:20 AM
For warm-up before tennis, I use a dynaflex/nsd powerball.

What is that?

JackB1
03-26-2010, 05:25 AM
Got the blue flexbar via UPS yesterday. I've never had TE for more than a day until last weekend, when I stupidly took my vibe damps off played a 2 hour match.

My anecdotal study says that anyone who tells you that vibe damps have no effect on TE are full of it. In my case, same racquet, same balls, same length of play, same guy I've played 20 times, I've never had serious TE, by the end of 2 hours arm was killing me and I almost couldn't finish my league match on Wednesday because of pain.

So now the league is off for a week, I'm not playing at all and I"m starting the exercises.

That blue one is tough! I can barely twist it. I prefer the green one, but they really need one in between the blue and the green.

dman72
03-26-2010, 05:59 AM
That blue one is tough! I can barely twist it. I prefer the green one, but they really need one in between the blue and the green.

I never thought that my grip was that strong (for a 6'1 190Lb guy) but I don't really have any problem twisting the blue one, even with a bad arm. I went from being barely able to pick up a glass yesterday morning to just being a bit sore in the forearm muscle today from the flex bar twisting around 9PM last night..but a good sore, not the awful raw pain of tennis elbow.

scotus
03-26-2010, 08:10 AM

If you are getting calluses from this, then your grip is loose and you are letting the bar slip and rotate in your grip.

Grip tighter, go slower, and let your wrist bend (or stretch) more when the bar returns to its original shape. If you can't keep the bar from causing undue friction in your grip, then the bar you are using may be too strong for you. Are you using the blue bar?

mikeler
03-26-2010, 09:12 AM
If you are getting calluses from this, then your grip is loose and you are letting the bar slip and rotate in your grip.

Grip tighter, go slower, and let your wrist bend (or stretch) more when the bar returns to its original shape. If you can't keep the bar from causing undue friction in your grip, then the bar you are using may be too strong for you. Are you using the blue bar?

I'll have to try and do it slower. I'm using the blue bar but if they made a larger one I'd use it.

MayDay
03-26-2010, 12:43 PM
What is that?

It's basically a forearm exerciser. (Fun to figure out how to start the gyro without a string, and it has glowing LED - all powered by your motion.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LQrhkSKjoA
Yes, the guy looks funny. :)

Bud
03-26-2010, 12:51 PM
I'll have to try and do it slower. I'm using the blue bar but if they made a larger one I'd use it.

Also, when you're using it... if you find your grip is slipping:

When you initially grip it... don't "load up" on the 'twist' so much. In other words, rotate your arms/ wrists so that when the bar begins to untwist... there isn't so much torque on it.

Does that make sense? Perhaps, someone can explain it better :)

Bud
03-26-2010, 01:12 PM
If you're on court and don't feel like bringing your Flexbar with you :)... simply do this exercise which basically imitates a portion of the Flexbar's stretching action...

Right arm TE example:

Hold your right arm straight out in front of you (palm down) - be certain arm is straight and not bent.
With the opposite hand grab your middle finger and stretch it downward... curling your wrist and finger under.
Stretch your middle finger toward your arm (as the wrist is is in flexion)

You should be able to feel the stretch in the "TE tendon" that attaches to the elbow area. As you work with it... you'll be able to focus directly on stretching that muscle/tendon.

It works great if you feel tightness or twinges in your elbow while playing a match.

mikeler
03-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Also, when you're using it... if you find your grip is slipping:

When you initially grip it... don't "load up" on the 'twist' so much. In other words, rotate your arms/ wrists so that when the bar begins to untwist... there isn't so much torque on it.

Does that make sense? Perhaps, someone can explain it better :)

I think I get your drift, I'll give it a shot.

tennytive
03-27-2010, 05:45 AM
The best I found when including shipping was www.ptmart.com

Looking at my receipt I paid $13.50 green, $16.50 blue and $8.61 total shipping for $38.61 all in. This was in late December.

Thanks for that link. I ordered the green and it arrived yesterday. I'm glad to see how substantial it is, I was afraid it might be too spongy.

Maybe I'm twisting too much, but when I try the exercises, it stretches my wrist quite a bit as well. Maybe that's good?

Ah, I just noticed Bud's post. Maybe that's what I'm doing. Will back off a little and hope that helps.

jimanuel12
03-29-2010, 05:35 AM
about 4 weeks now with the red flex bar and it does make a difference. 3 times per day - 15 repeitions.
arm is much better and hope to play my first tennis next week if the weather is good.
this things really seem to work.

week 5 with the flex bar, so far so good.
played this past saturday for the first time in 6 months,
arm is a little swollen, but iced it down and now it is better.
took it easy on saturday, scheduled to play this wednesday and will see how it goes.
the flex bar really has helped.

JackB1
03-29-2010, 05:40 AM
So you guys recommend using the flexbar before playing to warmup and also right after playing to stretch out the tendon?

mark999
03-29-2010, 11:05 AM
If you're on court and don't feel like bringing your Flexbar with you :)... simply do this exercise which basically imitates a portion of the Flexbar's stretching action...

Right arm TE example:

Hold your right arm straight out in front of you (palm down) - be certain arm is straight and not bent.
With the opposite hand grab your middle finger and stretch it downward... curling your wrist and finger under.
Stretch your middle finger toward your arm (as the wrist is is in flexion)

You should be able to feel the stretch in the "TE tendon" that attaches to the elbow area. As you work with it... you'll be able to focus directly on stretching that muscle/tendon.

It works great if you feel tightness or twinges in your elbow while playing a match.

another good stretch for the tendon is to hold both arms out straight in front of you with palms facing out. cross your hands with the left hand on top. link fingers together. use left hand to pull right hand towards you. you will feel the forearm muscle and tendon stretch. this assumes the right arm needs the stretching, reverse for left handed people or if you want to stretch both arms.

sidzej
03-29-2010, 12:36 PM
ChezUno, I am sure they are available in the UK. Just google Thera Band Flexbar using google.co.uk and you will find a few online stores. You can also get in touch with Thera Band UK directly.

jimanuel12
04-07-2010, 09:08 AM
week 5 with the flex bar, so far so good.
played this past saturday for the first time in 6 months,
arm is a little swollen, but iced it down and now it is better.
took it easy on saturday, scheduled to play this wednesday and will see how it goes.
the flex bar really has helped.

i played last week and no arm pain at all!!!!!!!!
finally, my arm feels much better, thanks to the flex bar and the exercises.
and i used my beloved fischer racket.
i tried the kennex 5G but it hurt my arm, i was very disappointed in it.
i am a fischer fan for life!!!!

still doing the exercises with the flexbar also and the stretching exercises as well every day.

KenC
04-08-2010, 02:16 AM
i played last week and no arm pain at all!!!!!!!!
finally, my arm feels much better, thanks to the flex bar and the exercises....

That's great news! My wife has stopped using it after 4 weeks and had no pain after a light 1 hour lesson last weekend. Of course I strung her racquet with TF TGV at 44 lbs which might have helped. She said its like hitting the ball with a pillow.

volusiano
04-08-2010, 11:31 PM
I've been using the FlexBar religiously for over 4 months now and it's enabled me to play as much tennis as I want without TE problem. However, the problem's been replaced with a minor triceps muscle problem on my playing arm. Nothing serious, but it takes longer to warm that part of the muscle up before I can play uninhibited, and also it feels more sore afterward at home. I can't really say it's caused by using the FlexBar. I might have had a minor tear in it coincidentally after I started using the FlexBar and it's just taking longer to heal.

But I just thought I'd throw it out here to see if there might be a pattern going on with others.

I'd still definitely trade a little muscle soreness than tendon pain in the elbow. At least the muscles heal more easily.

jimanuel12
04-21-2010, 06:39 AM
That's great news! My wife has stopped using it after 4 weeks and had no pain after a light 1 hour lesson last weekend. Of course I strung her racquet with TF TGV at 44 lbs which might have helped. She said its like hitting the ball with a pillow.

severl weeks now with the flexbar, and it has really helped my bad case of TE.
played several times this year with little or no arm pain, what a relief.
the arm is still not what is used to be before the TE, it may never be the same, but at least i can play.
still using the flexbar, will continue to use it until the arm is 100% pain free after a match.
but, those things really seem to work.
also switched to a fischer arm fiendly racket, that may have helped also, i am sure it did.

sidzej
04-21-2010, 11:01 PM
Same here. Since I am using flexbar, I can play 2-3 times a week with no pain so far. I have a lot of matches coming up in April/May/June - let's see if it helps me to get to July tournament break without pain. I hope it will.

mikeler
04-22-2010, 04:26 AM
My elbow continues to slowly get better as I keep playing 3 times a week. I'm trying to get a buddy of mine on the flexbar program who has just recently developed GE.

jimanuel12
04-22-2010, 08:30 AM
My elbow continues to slowly get better as I keep playing 3 times a week. I'm trying to get a buddy of mine on the flexbar program who has just recently developed GE.

glad to hear that you are improving. i am also, thanks to the flexbar and the stretching exercises and the arm friendly fischer racket.
i don't if after you have had a bad bad case of TE, if your arm is ever the same again.
anyone who has had TE really bad --- does your arm ever really heal back to what it once was? or does it always hurt a little after playing for several games or a long match?
jsut wondering.

KenC
04-23-2010, 09:13 AM
anyone who has had TE really bad --- does your arm ever really heal back to what it once was? or does it always hurt a little after playing for several games or a long match?
jsut wondering.

I had it so bad I couldn't lift a glass of water for a month or play tennis for 9 months. I didn't touch a racquet until it went away completely and was able to use a PDGT with reckless abandon soon afterwards. Now I have almost a year of intense tennis under my belt after my recovery and no hints whatsoever of elbow pain. I did outgrow the PDGT and now use the arm friendly PSLGT. I often put in 3 or more hours a day, 4 or more days a week, and spend a lot of time on intensive drills or playing against two people, and my hitting elbow is the same as my tossing elbow.

Hopefully that brings a ray of hope for you!

mark999
04-23-2010, 12:14 PM
i can presently use the green flexbar with absolutely no pain, but i still have a tender elbow after playing (only hitting against the wall at present). i've done numerous exercises over the winter strengthening the elbow, forearm, and wrist, but it's still not completely healed. any suggestions on what to try next.

jimanuel12
04-28-2010, 05:32 AM
I had it so bad I couldn't lift a glass of water for a month or play tennis for 9 months. I didn't touch a racquet until it went away completely and was able to use a PDGT with reckless abandon soon afterwards. Now I have almost a year of intense tennis under my belt after my recovery and no hints whatsoever of elbow pain. I did outgrow the PDGT and now use the arm friendly PSLGT. I often put in 3 or more hours a day, 4 or more days a week, and spend a lot of time on intensive drills or playing against two people, and my hitting elbow is the same as my tossing elbow.

Hopefully that brings a ray of hope for you!

i played last week for several hours, a long match, the first time in a long time.
the arm was a little sore afterwards, but iced it down and rested the arm.
went back to the flexbar after a couple of days and now the arm is much better.
it does not feel 100% healed even after a 9 month lay off but it is improving. i would say about 90-95%.
will it ever be the same after a mean case of tennis elbow????

mikeler
04-28-2010, 06:21 AM
i played last week for several hours, a long match, the first time in a long time.
the arm was a little sore afterwards, but iced it down and rested the arm.
went back to the flexbar after a couple of days and now the arm is much better.
it does not feel 100% healed even after a 9 month lay off but it is improving. i would say about 90-95%.

I can do the flexbars the night after I play in the morning. I won't do it after an evening match though. Is your elbow too sore for that many days that you can't use the flexbar? Sprained my knee last weekend, so now my elbow will get some more time to heal. :(

eagle
04-28-2010, 06:26 AM

I had a bad case of TE last year that under my physician's and physical therapist's advice had to stop playing for a few months. A year later, TE is completely gone.

So, yes, there is the possibility for you to heal completely. Each case however is different. Hopefully, yours is the kind that also heals completely with no lasting or recurring effects.

r,
eagle

sidzej
04-28-2010, 06:28 AM
I am currently playing 3-4 times a week, using flexbar each day 3 times and I managed to play 3 league matches in the last week. Two of them were 3 sets matches (2+ hours each) and except general muscle tiredness I felt no pain in my elbow (I played with full nat gut or hybrid of gut and syn gut). However, in the 2 set match I played with nat gut/poly hybrid and I started to feel my elbow again (this match was first in the sequence of my 3 matches, hence overuse is out of question). That was for me a definitive good-buy to all (even soft)
co-polys (even if used only in crosses with gut in mains). I like to feel of gut/co-poly hybrid, but I decided to try to go through 2010 season without TE problems. I had enough of it last year and don't want to get back. Gut is expensive, but it is well worth it.

jimanuel12
04-28-2010, 07:55 AM
I can do the flexbars the night after I play in the morning. I won't do it after an evening match though. Is your elbow too sore for that many days that you can't use the flexbar? Sprained my knee last weekend, so now my elbow will get some more time to heal. :(

no, it is just sore after a match. i usually wait until the next day or maybe 2 then i start with the flexbar again.

mikeler
04-28-2010, 09:44 AM
no, it is just sore after a match. i usually wait until the next day or maybe 2 then i start with the flexbar again.

Why not use it every night you don't play a match?

jimanuel12
04-28-2010, 10:35 AM
Why not use it every night you don't play a match?

i do use it every nite when i don't play a match.
i guess i did not explain myself very well.
i use it every day, 2-3 times a day. after a match, i wait until the arm is rested, then start again.
it has made a world of difference, at least i can play now.
last year, i could not pick up a cup of coffee for a month after i first hurt the arm.
it has been a long painful experience, one i will never forget.
i have learned my lesson on the light weight, heavy head rackets.
i did not realize that the hammers are really beginner rackets, too light.
but man, they have got the power!!!!

mikeler
04-28-2010, 11:24 AM
i do use it every nite when i don't play a match.
i guess i did not explain myself very well.
i use it every day, 2-3 times a day. after a match, i wait until the arm is rested, then start again.
it has made a world of difference, at least i can play now.
last year, i could not pick up a cup of coffee for a month after i first hurt the arm.
it has been a long painful experience, one i will never forget.
i have learned my lesson on the light weight, heavy head rackets.
i did not realize that the hammers are really beginner rackets, too light.
but man, they have got the power!!!!

The previous post made me think you waited a day or two after each match until you used it again. It's hard to remember how bad my elbow hurt 6 months ago and for that I'm glad!

KenC
04-28-2010, 10:50 PM

I wonder if complete recovery is possible if you start to play before there is no pain at all. I didn't actually play tennis until a month or two after I noticed the pain was completely gone. Instead of tennis I spent a lot of time hiking, cross country skiing and mountain biking (for some reason aggressive mountain biking didn't bother my elbow at all) plus I did muscle toning exercises in the gym.

My point is, if that last bit doesn't go away with light tennis, maybe you could explore another fun sport that keeps your mind off those fuzzy balls for a month or two?

mikeler
04-29-2010, 04:49 AM
jimanuel12,

I got your e-mail but I think my response is best put in this thread. You were asking if you returned to tennis too soon, even after a long long lay off. It's hard to say whether to take the KenC approach or keep playing. For my case, I've been able to keep playing for several months now with little pain. A few shots every match still hurt but the pain goes away quickly. I hurt my knee last weekend, so that is going to allow my elbow to get some further rest. Right now, there is almost zero pain in my elbow since I have not played in almost a week.

jimanuel12
04-29-2010, 05:42 AM
jimanuel12,

I got your e-mail but I think my response is best put in this thread. You were asking if you returned to tennis too soon, even after a long long lay off. It's hard to say whether to take the KenC approach or keep playing. For my case, I've been able to keep playing for several months now with little pain. A few shots every match still hurt but the pain goes away quickly. I hurt my knee last weekend, so that is going to allow my elbow to get some further rest. Right now, there is almost zero pain in my elbow since I have not played in almost a week.

i guess the main thing is, that i love to play, and i lost almost all of last year. due to the weather here, we can play about 7 months (tops) out of the year.
i am not sure that even if i stayed out for another year, the arm would get any better. due to my computer work, that may also added to my elbow problems.
but as long as the pain is not too bad, i am going to play.
i can rest it again this winter, and if the pain does not go away 100% by then, i may see my doctor and have some tests run and go from there.
i may have hurt it so bad, it may never heal on it's own but surgery will be a last resort.
but thanks for the information, i appreicate it.

mikeler
04-29-2010, 06:02 AM
i guess the main thing is, that i love to play, and i lost almost all of last year. due to the weather here, we can play about 7 months (tops) out of the year.
i am not sure that even if i stayed out for another year, the arm would get any better. due to my computer work, that may also added to my elbow problems.
but as long as the pain is not too bad, i am going to play.
i can rest it again this winter, and if the pain does not go away 100% by then, i may see my doctor and have some tests run and go from there.
i may have hurt it so bad, it may never heal on it's own but surgery will be a last resort.
but thanks for the information, i appreicate it.

Can you afford ultrasound and electrostimulation therapy? Mine was $40 per session. That is what got me back on the court. I used to think of chiropractors as witch doctors, but so many people recommended one in our area that I gave in and tried it. Had I not tried to come back too soon, I think about 3 appointments per week for a month would have completely gotten rid of my elbow pain. It does not take away the pain right away, but each session probably makes it 5-10% better.

jimanuel12
04-29-2010, 10:23 AM
Can you afford ultrasound and electrostimulation therapy? Mine was $40 per session. That is what got me back on the court. I used to think of chiropractors as witch doctors, but so many people recommended one in our area that I gave in and tried it. Had I not tried to come back too soon, I think about 3 appointments per week for a month would have completely gotten rid of my elbow pain. It does not take away the pain right away, but each session probably makes it 5-10% better.

i meant to add that i have been doing the ultrasound and electrostimulation therapy since october and i can see a remarkable improvement. about once per month most of the time.
i still continue to do this along with the flexbar and stretching exercises.
all seem to help but the arm is not back to 100% yet.
close but not 100%.
maybe sooner or later it will be 100% -- i hope so.

mikeler
04-29-2010, 11:09 AM
i meant to add that i have been doing the ultrasound and electrostimulation therapy since october and i can see a remarkable improvement. about once per month most of the time.
i still continue to do this along with the flexbar and stretching exercises.
all seem to help but the arm is not back to 100% yet.
close but not 100%.
maybe sooner or later it will be 100% -- i hope so.

I'd fork out the money and try to go 3 times a week for the next couple of weeks. Combine that with the flexbar and I think you'll be close to good by mid May when the weather is about perfect up there.

KenC
04-29-2010, 11:24 PM
... i am not sure that even if i stayed out for another year, the arm would get any better. due to my computer work, that may also added to my elbow problems.
but as long as the pain is not too bad, i am going to play...

I understand your desire to play. If I hurt my elbow now I would go insane if I couldn't play for a few months. I recently had surgery on my dominant hand for trigger finger and lost more than 3 weeks and was bouncing off the walls waiting to get back on the courts.

I would suggest playing against partners who don't hit hard and take it easy and work up gradually to a harder level if you want to play now. I would also suggest sacrificing the racquet and strings before your elbow, meaning using an arm friendly, flexible racquet ( IIRC you are using a Fisher, so that's perfectly fine) and then string it up with VS Tonic at the lowest tension possible.

The other thing I learned when I had TE was the connection between the forearm muscles and the tendons that anchor them to the bone can't exceed a certain force. IOW, the minute your muscles can't control and absorb the impact it will stretch the tendon and pull harder on the bone. This makes doing some strength building exercises for the forearm muscles very interesting. I imagine exercises that revolve around pronation and supranation could be helpful, but a sports medicine doc would know better.

My full recovery makes me think you can too. I was involved in other sports that required use of my elbow and probably strengthened it up quite a bit before I got back into tennis. TE is a repetitive stress injury, so engaging in other activities that work the forearm muscles probably helps a lot.

eagle
04-30-2010, 04:11 AM
My TE started with forearm pain. After a few days of foream ache and playing through it, it escalated to TE.

Onset of TE is different for each person but above is how it happened to me.

Yes, you can recover completely and be 100% healed. I'm proof of that. No more TE pain whatsoever.

I however am careful and and always mindful of how I hit the ball, strings and tension I use, and play frequency to prevent a recurrence.

r,
eagle

charliefedererer
04-30-2010, 08:49 AM
I The other thing I learned when I had TE was the connection between the forearm muscles and the tendons that anchor them to the bone can't exceed a certain force. IOW, the minute your muscles can't control and absorb the impact it will stretch the tendon and pull harder on the bone. This makes doing some strength building exercises for the forearm muscles very interesting. I imagine exercises that revolve around pronation and supranation could be helpful, but a sports medicine doc would know better.

While strong forearm muscles won't absolutely guarantee you'll avoid tennis elbow, it does make it much less likely. Dumbell wrist curls/reverse/pronation/supination exercises, hand gripper use, triceps pull downs, and the flexbar seem like relatively wimpy exercises compared to the heavy lifting some on this site do. But because the wrists are essentially locked for most heavy lifting, the forearm muscles while stressed somewhat, do not go through a full range of motion.

Same problem for the shoulder - hence the need for the thrower's ten: www.asmi.org/SportsMed/media/thrower10.swf

Slazenger07
05-01-2010, 09:39 AM
pretty simple. you need a weight tied to a wooden bar with a rope. hold the bar in front and roll up the weight using your wrists. i keep the bar at shoulder height with arms very slightly bent. add weight as you progress.

wrist rollers...great exercise for the forearms, the pump is get from those is fantastic.

Slazenger07
05-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Ive been using the green for 2 days now.
2 reps of 10-15 Tyler Twists
2 reps of 10-15 Reverse Tyler Twists
Each exercise in the book for either 2 reps of 5-10, or 2 reps of ~1 min for the non rep type exercises.

I feel a marked increase in arm and hand strength/ life :)

I respond very quickly to strengthening excercises.
I do not or have not had TE and do not wish to get it.

Believe me when I tell you it sucks hard........Im using penetrex cream right now to try and cure mine, we'll see what happens.