PDA

View Full Version : 4.5/5.0 Tournament Players - Do you play open or NTRP?

T Woody
02-04-2010, 01:13 PM
I've noticed in my area (nor cal) that the 3.5, 4.0, and open singles draws get the most entries, while the 4.5 and 5.0 seem pretty sparse. I've never played an open tournament, but think I would probably get wrecked since I'd be unseeded against an experienced player in the first round.

So what do all you 4.5's do? Pay 40 bucks for a 4.5 draw of 4-8 people? Or are you able to find open draws where you can actually be competitive? It's weird 4.5 seems like kind of this no man's land where you're not good enough to play with the big boys but past the point where a lot of people still are in NTRP.

mikeler
02-04-2010, 01:25 PM
You'll get anywhere from 4.0 to 6.0 players in the Open. I'd still play an 8 person NTRP draw before open.

ssgator80
02-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Here in FL, we get pretty good 4.5 draws. Usually between 10-20 guys. The last tournament, I think we had 17. Its the 5.0 that have terrible draws here. Maybe 3. Here, if your a true 5, your most likely playing Open. I'm 48 and can hang with some young guys in the open draw for a little while - but if I go up against a former D1 guy, its lights out. Most of the guys playing 4.5 are in their late 30's - 40's and 50's. Its rare that I go up against a good 4.5 that is younger than 35.

tennisnj
02-04-2010, 03:10 PM
I play open or non-USTA tournaments because there are no 5.0 leagues & hardly any 5.0 tournaments in my area. The non-USTA tournaments tend to get better & bigger draws, so rankings aren't a big deal to most players here.

mikeler
02-04-2010, 06:01 PM
Here in FL, we get pretty good 4.5 draws. Usually between 10-20 guys. The last tournament, I think we had 17. Its the 5.0 that have terrible draws here. Maybe 3. Here, if your a true 5, your most likely playing Open. I'm 48 and can hang with some young guys in the open draw for a little while - but if I go up against a former D1 guy, its lights out. Most of the guys playing 4.5 are in their late 30's - 40's and 50's. Its rare that I go up against a good 4.5 that is younger than 35.

ssgator80 and I hit together and have talked about the fact that nobody joins the 5.0 draws here in Central Florida. At least the 4.5s are usually filled though. As the OP said, it would be nice if you could get a big draw with a bunch of people at your level. If you run up against a 6.0 in an Open, it still is fun, but the match will last 45 minutes with the warmup if you are lucky.

LeeD
02-05-2010, 10:02 AM
I'm from SanFrancisco.
As a high ranked B or 4.5, I didn't enter ANY B tournaments the following 2 years. I only entered A or Open and Q's (for the TransAmerica in SF).
Most B's/4.5 who thought they could get better did as I did.
Every B/4.5 who didn't have a chance to get better entered and won B tournaments.
I lost to plenty of B players who never got better.
I also beat plenty of A and real Open players because I had the shots, the speed, and not the mental toughness to play at any level short of pros.
Do you have a "big" game or do you win by toughness and consistency? Since I never had the above two, I had the big game.

T Woody
02-05-2010, 10:10 AM
I guess I'd say my game is pretty big. I'm 6'4" so my serve is a good weapon. Against 4.0's, I go for pretty much everything, attack the net, and try to finish points early. It's worked out pretty well and I don't think I'd have as much fun playing any differently. I've figured with this type of game, I might beat a few guys in open draws but also get blown out sometimes if I'm inconsistent. Lee, sounds like it definitely improved your game to take a crack at the opens and qualifiers so maybe I'll try a few of those this year. I live in the marina, so if you're ever looking to hit sometime, let me know.

mikeler
02-05-2010, 10:18 AM
I've only played 1 open tournament. I lost 0 and 1 to the #2 Open player in Florida at the time. I've played another guy my level with a huge lefty serve that got 4 games off the same opponent. So if you have a good serve, you'll probably still win a few games. After that, I won my first consolation match and my next consi was competitive, but I lost.

LeeD
02-05-2010, 10:32 AM
T Woody...
You mean Marina District, SF?
Like the Marina courts, which used to be doubles predominant?
Where do you mostly play?
I did the GGPark thing, and NorthBeach and ChinesePlayground (I'm Chinese). But that was back in the late '70's. Went mostly 3-5 rounds in Nationals, a B tourney.
Couple years ago, I played Focus42 a couple sets. He's a top 3.5 player, about 6'1 and 210, kinda muscle. I hadn't hit any ball in 2 months, so used conti push S/V for expected 4 and 4.
Since windsurfing season is expected to start in a month or so, I'll be out in the MarinaDistrict a few days. Mostly, I'd go out there AM's, hang around the surf shop (Wises) a few hours, then need to kill a few more hours before 3PM windsurfing.
My Email is LeeDomond@gmail, if you want to get in touch.
Would be fun to hit with someone who can actually hit pro level speeds, whether they go in all the time or not.

T Woody
02-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Ha, yep they still have the old doubles guys at the Moscone courts in the marina most of the time, but since the courts have lights I usually meet up and play with people later around 7. I do GG Park too but the courts are really close together which is annoying.

I can hit it pretty hard but yes not always inside the lines :) I'll shoot you an email about hitting sometime.

LeeD
02-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Yeah, most fun to play with hard hitters, win, lose, or draw.
I'm basically blind at night, so no night hitting for me. Did the SF nighttime cab driver thing for 8 years, about 30 years ago.
At my local RoseGarden courts, I'm considered the only guy there who can consistently return the real big Div1 serves.
Of course, I played that level some 30 years ago..:):)
Now I can't cover alley to alley, or within 3' of, so I don't let my opponents hit those wide shots.
3 of my hitting buds play at GoldenGatePark after 4 on the free courts, but I can't lower myself to play there. I was a 1-3, 6-3, and court 12 guy in the '70's.
JohnGagnon, BobWang, VascoMyers.

EP1998
02-05-2010, 12:39 PM
I love Marina! We want to move there next year, but the housing costs scare me. I have also noticed that no one seems to want to rent to someone with a pet. What is up with that?! I see dogs all over the place when I'm visiting there and I just don't believe that all of those people are homeowners! Some of them must be renting!

On topic, if you are old enough for age group that is another option. Norcal has some events at Berkeley Tennis Club and Marin that are for 30+ players (maybe 35, not sure).

LeeD
02-05-2010, 03:20 PM
I go down to CrissyFields to windsurf and watch the joggers (female) go by.
Most of them rent, few own.
Pets.... that's why they're there. Few other places in N SF for pets to walk.
Yeah, the BayArea is great for tournament tennis. Q's for SAP just ended.
I've played Rafael, MtTam, HarborPoint, SFRacket, CalClub, GoldenGate and Way, BTC, and a few others during my tournament years.

WBF
02-06-2010, 06:14 AM
Open. NTRP draws are terrible here. And playing with better players is far, far more satisfying than crushing a poor player.

T Woody
02-06-2010, 07:53 AM
I love Marina! We want to move there next year, but the housing costs scare me. I have also noticed that no one seems to want to rent to someone with a pet. What is up with that?! I see dogs all over the place when I'm visiting there and I just don't believe that all of those people are homeowners! Some of them must be renting!

On topic, if you are old enough for age group that is another option. Norcal has some events at Berkeley Tennis Club and Marin that are for 30+ players (maybe 35, not sure).

Hey BridgetJones - I actually got real lucky. I live in the Fort Mason complex on Bay st. You should check it out. There are like 50 or so old officers' houses that are very nice that the park service rents out. We have a front and back yard, so lots of space for our pooch. The rent is very reasonable but you have to jump on an opportunity when you see one for rent on craigslist since it's rare for people to leave.

Yeah I'm only 26 so no age group for me yet, but I think I'll take a shot at opens.

EP1998
02-08-2010, 06:08 AM
Hey BridgetJones - I actually got real lucky. I live in the Fort Mason complex on Bay st. You should check it out. There are like 50 or so old officers' houses that are very nice that the park service rents out. We have a front and back yard, so lots of space for our pooch. The rent is very reasonable but you have to jump on an opportunity when you see one for rent on craigslist since it's rare for people to leave.

Yeah I'm only 26 so no age group for me yet, but I think I'll take a shot at opens.

Wow, that sounds amazing, thanks for the info. Is there a management company or anything? They probably dont bother with a wait list since they are so easy to rent.

MomentumGT
02-08-2010, 04:28 PM
I bag it in the 4.0's to help out a friends team. :oops:

-Jon

T Woody
02-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Wow, that sounds amazing, thanks for the info. Is there a management company or anything? They probably dont bother with a wait list since they are so easy to rent.

Here is the property management company

http://hsmsf.com/

Not sure if they have Fort Mason in their listings, but you could check it out or contact someone there. Good luck with it! Let me know if you ever get in. We do bbq's for the neighborhood during the summer.

EP1998
02-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Here is the property management company

http://hsmsf.com/

Not sure if they have Fort Mason in their listings, but you could check it out or contact someone there. Good luck with it! Let me know if you ever get in. We do bbq's for the neighborhood during the summer.

Thank you so much! I will let you know if it ends up working out!

Charles Norris
02-16-2010, 07:11 AM
I've noticed in my area (nor cal) that the 3.5, 4.0, and open singles draws get the most entries, while the 4.5 and 5.0 seem pretty sparse. I've never played an open tournament, but think I would probably get wrecked since I'd be unseeded against an experienced player in the first round.

So what do all you 4.5's do? Pay 40 bucks for a 4.5 draw of 4-8 people? Or are you able to find open draws where you can actually be competitive? It's weird 4.5 seems like kind of this no man's land where you're not good enough to play with the big boys but past the point where a lot of people still are in NTRP.

I am 5.0-5.5 and I always play open. Even when there's a 5.0 draw. Better competition and typically a heftier draw.

T Woody
02-18-2010, 12:24 PM
I am 5.0-5.5 and I always play open. Even when there's a 5.0 draw. Better competition and typically a heftier draw.

Thanks for the input. And by the way, if that's your real name, that's awesome.