PDA

View Full Version : What will it take to get me bumped up?

johndagolfer
02-05-2010, 03:27 PM
This is my first year in USTA and I self rated at a 3.5.

My biggest issue is that I have a permanent disability in my arthitic ankles.

Solely based on my strokes though, my captain has placed me at singles. I am losing weight a lot, and my mobility is getting a little better, but in all honesty as my first year back in 13 years I would really like to play another "competitive" year in 3.5 next year(I was one of the last players to join my league and a lot of my teammates are 3.0's who are playing up).

If I am playing 2nd singles or even first and go say 4 and 7 is that a bump up?
Where do you think the cutoff is?

Cindysphinx
02-06-2010, 07:30 AM
There is no way to know. It depends on the rating of your opponents. And your rating is determined not by whether you win or lose but by the game score in each match.

Go enjoy yourself, fight hard for every point, and have fun.

And if your ankles start bothering you, tell your captain you have to play doubles. It's not worth it.

johndagolfer
02-06-2010, 07:45 AM
Wow really? It's not by win or loss record it's by set score? I played this guy who has a 100mph+ serve easily yesterday and lost 6 - 2, 7 - 6. It was a great match that could have gone either way in the 2nd set.

If he gets bumped up easily that means my good showing counts toward my possible bump up?

LeeD
02-06-2010, 07:53 AM
Easiest way is get to the finals of a big draw C or 3.5 tourney, then ask the organizer to bump you up. If he was there, and saw you play, it might work.
I got to the finals of my first C, lost badly, didn't ask to be bumped, and next C, the SanFranciscoCity, won the C's and they accused me of cherrypicking. They bumped. But I didn't play any tourneys in between, choosing instead to practice and work on my game.

Cindysphinx
02-06-2010, 07:54 AM
The computer would see that as 13 games to 8 games, so a competitive score. If this guy has a high rating, your hanging with him will help you.

darkhorse
02-07-2010, 06:12 AM
My situation at 3.0 (self rate) went like this:

I won probably .750 of my matches, however some went to a third set tiebreaker, and few were blowouts. I played mostly doubles initially, but later on I played a lot of singles. When I played against 3.5 players in drills and stuff, I could at least compete, so I could've played up after 2 seasons probably, but the computer didn't rate me up until this season (3rd year at 3.0), and that was only because of that reorganizing of the system.

So, I guess it depends on how you win, not simply if you win, if that makes sense. I don't know my record at 3.0 exactly, but I went like 20-10 or so, I think, with like a 7-3 record in singles.

Geezer Guy
02-12-2010, 10:57 AM
...If I am playing 2nd singles or even first and go say 4 and 7 is that a bump up?
Where do you think the cutoff is?

As others have said... Also, playing 1st or 2nd singles doesn't matter. They all count the same. (4 & 7 at 3.5 PROBABLY won't get you bumped up to 4.0 though.)

raiden031
02-12-2010, 02:03 PM
The risk of getting bumped up is greatest when 1) you play singles, and 2) you play competitively against or easily beat players at the top of the level who also might get moved up. Its really a crap-shoot whether you face alot of tough opponents, or weak opponents. Depends on which teams your captain has you play against.

So you could go 1-10 and lose to tough opponents in 3rd set tiebreakers and get moved up, or you could go 10-1 and win 6-2, 6-4 every match against weak players and you won't get moved up.