PDA

View Full Version : Different clay-types around the world

Hankenstein
02-06-2010, 01:48 AM
Clay is a surface that fascinates me. Itīs IMO the best surface to play on and itīs soft on your tendons and body overall.

Here in Sweden we mostly play on a sort of brown clay made of crushed stones from a mineral mind in the central part of Sweden. The 2 clay-surfaces are called Brattex and Lawnit. Lawnit is finer and reminds me pretty much of the true red clay in the sliding abilities. Lawnit is also easy to slide on when itīs semi dry. If itīs a little bit (too) moist itīs hard for heavy boys like me to slide secure on it.

I have also played on red clay in Austria, Germany, Italy and Croatia and the red clay is pretty similar but the courts in Italy and Croatia is faster. The courts in Croatia are btw my absolute favourites. They are true beauties.

I have also played on "En tout Cas" or "pourus" as they say in Melbourne and those courts are very fast and easy to slide on.

How are the red claycourts in North and south America? Have anyone played red clay in those 2 parts of the world and can compare it to the european red clay version?

Lex
02-06-2010, 02:40 AM
Here in the US, I've only played on Green Clay (Har-Tru). I'd love to try Red Clay though.

http://www.leetennis.com/hartru.php

jwbarrientos
02-06-2010, 03:39 AM
We (I should include CHI, BRA, ARG in South America) play in what you call "red clay" translating from "polvo de ladrillo", it is slow mostly of the times but depends on how the surface is prepared.

We could agree is gently with our joints, your could "work with spins", but sometimes bounces go crazy.

Probably someone who played around the world could make a better comparison.

mtommer
02-06-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm glad most of the courts in America are hard court. I think I'd put on a pretty good clown show if I had to play on clay.

jim e
02-06-2010, 03:28 PM
In the summer, weather permitting, I hit on a friends court that he built himself, red clay. Its a very rustic court, but fun to hit on. The red clay is on top of crushed stone.Much slower surface, and when wet, even slower. Drop shots just die at times, and sometimes when you hit the white line(its like a fabric tape nailed down), the ball can skid, especially on serves, and makes it impossible to return, but it works both ways.I like it.Makes it easy to call close shots as well, as it leaves a mark to see.
Years ago, I use to hit on clay that had fine gravel dust(gray color), on top of the clay. That was a great surface to play on as well.Only dissadvantage to me is the red clay when they get wet,(they place sprinklers on as to keep the courts from drying out), and the wet red clay makes a mess with shoes and tennis bag.

stoble
02-06-2010, 03:33 PM
I'm glad most of the courts in America are hard court. I think I'd put on a pretty good clown show if I had to play on clay.

I've never even played on green clay. Sure they exist in texas but not many have access to them :(

I think It would be tons of fun!

andtapes
02-06-2010, 03:39 PM
In Brazil the courts are made from mountain clays, and the powder are made from grind tile.
The tile is made with with the same clay but the difference is that the tile is baked in a big oven and later the tile is grind.

mikeler
02-06-2010, 05:25 PM
I've talked to several players who have experience on the red clay in Europe and they all say that it is much slower then the green Har-Tru clay we are used to in the USA.

ClubHoUno
02-06-2010, 08:49 PM
I prefer to play on artificial grass, but only few courts available of that surface in Scandinavia.

Next after that, my favorite surface is slow red Euro Scandinavian Clay.

During the winter I play on indoor hardcourt and on artificial red rubber clay.

But look forward to summer coming and red slow soft clay :D

Look so nice and is very soft on your knees and legs:
http://i45.tinypic.com/au9szo.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/264stvc.jpg

Also looks nice with a tennis lady on red clay too:
http://i50.tinypic.com/2nsmirq.jpg

jwbarrientos
02-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Scandinavian region produce nice materials ... send me a couple of those blondies.